Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
KG on English TV show Car Sos: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gpv2k

Couple of funny things in this - he taps on the generator to try and start it because he thinks it is the starter, later they try and start it with the fuel line connected straight to the carby without the fuel pump connected.

It screened here earlier in the year. The owner has been through a lot and the prospect of more to come. It's a nice story for a deserving family so well worth watching...despite tapping the generator incident.

Who knows - perhaps if you "tap" on the generator hard enough, the vibrations will transmit all the way through the engine down to the starter.

... and maybe he also had a gravity feed gas tank hooked up to the carburetor and therefore didn't need a fuel pump.
Wink
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

A Karmann Ghia coupe is parked in the background behind Jackie Gleason and Tuesday Weld in this scene from the 1963 film 'Soldier in the Rain'. Steve McQueen had one of his earlier staring roles as Sgt. Eustis Clay in this film. Adam West (who would go on to star in the Batman TV series) also had a bit part as an Army captain.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

This Ghia shows up in a couple of short scenes, in the 1996 movie "Ed". (Sort of "buddy movie" about a minor-league pitcher and a 3rd-base-playing chimpanzee. Family-friendly, and available on DVD, in a thrift store near you.)

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

The 1966 thriller spy film "The Quiller Memorandum" starring George Segal and Senta Berger (seen here) takes place in West Berlin, Germany. At ~22 minutes, Segal drops Berger off at her apartment in his red Porsche 356B Convertible. In the background is a two-tone Berlin-registered Ghia Coupe; appears to be Pearl White body with Black roof. I checked the archives and noticed that lowlight Ghia coupes were not offered with this color combination... so maybe a '58 with bamboo body and dark green roof?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

A Karmann Ghia coupe is seen on a used-car lot in the 1991 Albert Brooks film, 'Defending your Life' w/Meryl Streep.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

"Magnum Force" (1973)- Near the end of the movie where Callahan (Clint Eastwood) and Lt. Briggs (Hal Holbrook) drive Callahan's blue Ford sedan to the port, they pass a white early '60's Ghia Cabrio parked at the curb.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Not exactly the 'silver screen' but...
A blue Karmann Ghia coupe is being overwhelmed by the crowd at Woodstock. Spotted in a PBS profile of Janis Joplin.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Not exactly the 'silver screen' but...
A blue Karmann Ghia coupe is being overwhelmed by the crowd at Woodstock. Spotted in a PBS profile of Janis Joplin.

There were at least two other Karmann Ghias there as well that day.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I just saw this television commercial for Macy's Veteran's Day Sale and was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful Karmann Ghia coupe fairly prominently featured.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
I just saw this television commercial for Macy's Veteran's Day Sale and was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful Karmann Ghia coupe fairly prominently featured.

I saw the same Macy's commercial and was about to look for this thread to say the same thing.

Very pretty car.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I saw the same Macy's commercial and was about to look for this thread to say the same thing.

Very pretty car.

From another thread.
Evil Clown wrote:

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

From the old TV series "The Saint" seen during a Hamburg Street sequence in Season 2 Episode 27 "The Saint Sees It Through"

Looks like the rego is HM-MH 978. A nice lowlight on what might be Kirchenallee and Ernst Merck Strasse.

Nicholas
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Quote:
HM-MH 978

I see the lic. plate as starting with HH... Stands for Hansestadt Hamburg, one of the three Hanseatic League cities created in the Middle Ages. The other two cities are Luebeck (lic. plate HL) and Bremen (plate HB).
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
The 1966 thriller spy film "The Quiller Memorandum" starring George Segal and Senta Berger (seen here) takes place in West Berlin, Germany. At ~22 minutes, Segal drops Berger off at her apartment in his red Porsche 356B Convertible. In the background is a two-tone Berlin-registered Ghia Coupe; appears to be Pearl White body with Black roof. I checked the archives and noticed that lowlight Ghia coupes were not offered with this color combination... so maybe a '58 with bamboo body and dark green roof?

If I remember correctly, the author (Adam Hall) had a special car in each of the Quiller novels. I like your (current) reference to the Hanse Cities. I still have to visit Bremen (destination of the cat, the dog, the rooster and the donkey in the Grimm Brothers' story) but the other two you mention are the best places I've been to in Europe. Lübeck is simply exquisite.

Someone should post a pic of a Ghia in front of the medieval city castle at the approach form Hamburg. Special car, special place.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Back in April of '18 Dennis Gage of "My Classic Car" was at "Cars on Kiawah" in Charleston, SC, filming the event for a future show. That episode is set to air this Saturday, 1/5/19 at 8:30 am on the MotorTrend Network (formerly Velocity).

Dennis took a liking to my '58 Ghia and interviewed me on camera about it. I received an email from the show a few weeks ago letting me know my car would be in the episode, so I presume that interview will be shown (though it is possible just the "B" footage they shot of the car may be all that's aired). Anyway, the trailer for the episode is below and the Ghia makes a 1/2 second appearance in it, and there should be more of it in the full episode. Very Happy

Link

PS - please go easy on me if I got some Ghia history incorrect; it was pretty rapid-fire Q&A. Laughing
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:

PS - please go easy on me if I got some Ghia history incorrect; it was pretty rapid-fire Q&A. Laughing

Don't worry Pete, you know much more than 99.99% of those people watching. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
PeteSC wrote:

Don't worry Pete, you know much more than 99.99% of those people watching. Smile

Congratulations Pete, I'll be watching and recording the show.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
PeteSC wrote:

Ha! Thanks, but I know much less than the folks here who may be watching and inclined to "correct" me. Wink

CiderGuy wrote:
Congratulations Pete, I'll be watching and recording the show.

Thanks! It was a fun experience. My daughters are especially excited to see their dad (and their Ghia!) on TV. Dennis is an incredibly personable and accommodating person. He took time to speak to anyone who approached him, pose for photos, etc. He genuinely seems to love talking cars, and did so a lot during the day, even when his camera wasn't rolling.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Here’s the full episode for anyone interested. Ghia at 8:00 mark. I thought it was a well put together episode.

Link
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Applause Beautifully Karmann Ghia.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 42

Jump to: