Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A better fuel filter!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

He to all.

I have this questions on my head for couple weeks, I have a rusty fuel tank, and was thinking a bout coating with por15, but most of the guru's here said it can be worse if is not done right, I read an other suggestions about keep the fuel tank always full, I like that, now I'm looking for a good fuel filter with better filtration vs the paper stocks one!

Anyone ever upgrade the fuel filter to a better one (more efficient)?

And where is the best place to installed?
Outside of the engine compartment.

Thanks
Balt
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

I'd say that it's not that you need a better fuel filter. All that crap in there is being trapped by those, which is good. You just need to change those standard ones out often.

Thia actually gives me an idea. Idea If you put two of these in line, then the second one is a test of how well the first one is functioning. If the first one is doing its job, then the second one should always look new.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

Ummm....., why not just clean the tank? Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I'd say that it's not that you need a better fuel filter. All that crap in there is being trapped by those, which is good. You just need to change those standard ones out often.

Thia actually gives me an idea. Idea If you put two of these in line, then the second one is a test of how well the first one is functioning. If the first one is doing its job, then the second one should always look new.

Thanks jtauxe

I was thinking go that way, put two filter,s change which look more dirty, and attach a shutoff valve after the tank, to make more easy the job.
But I learned that always is good idea came and asked here.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ummm....., why not just clean the tank? Confused

x2

I'm sure the POR15 kit works great if you follow the directions. If you're uncertain about that product, there are other gas tank treatment options.

If you follow this guide, you should be fine:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html

My 1968 Campmobile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

just buy the filters by the box Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

another vote for just clean the tank.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

This is what I did:

I wanted a filter with a shutoff valve. When I ordered this I thought it had a filter, but it is only a sediment bowl. If I were to do it again I would buy this filter, sediment bowl and shutoff valve, and a spare filter cartridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YANMAR-TRACTOR-FUEL-FILTER-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-S-/252132662695

I used a coil mounting bracket and many threaded and barbed fittings and yellow teflon tape. Some may not like it in the engine bay, but it is away from ignition and flying belt sources. I like the sediment bowl because my camper is in storage for several months at a time. I'll be able to see any rust particles or water from condensation in the tank.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
This is what I did:

I wanted a filter with a shutoff valve. When I ordered this I thought it had a filter, but it is only a sediment bowl. If I were to do it again I would buy this filter, sediment bowl and shutoff valve, and a spare filter cartridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YANMAR-TRACTOR-FUEL-FILTER-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-S-/252132662695

I used a coil mounting bracket and many threaded and barbed fittings and yellow teflon tape. Some may not like it in the engine bay, but it is away from ignition and flying belt sources. I like the sediment bowl because my camper is in storage for several months at a time. I'll be able to see any rust particles or water from condensation in the tank.

Aloha
tp

Hoo man this setup looking pretty awesome!
which results've you had with this setup?
I really like this but, how safe can be with the fires issue's on the bay's?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

72lowslow wrote:
Hoo man this setup looking pretty awesome!
which results've you had with this setup?
I really like this but, how safe can be with the fires issue's on the bay's?

The results that I have with the sediment bowl are;

No observed water or rust particles.
No filtration before the fuel pump.
A handy shutoff valve.
Any time you have a fuel line in the engine bay there is a risk of fire. The engine needs a fuel line. It's all about risk management.
If I were to do it again I would buy this filter, sediment bowl and shutoff valve, and a spare filter cartridge.

Post your results.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

Hi. I ran into the same situation back 35+ years ago with a '71 bus, bought after sitting a few years. Being a work bus I needed it to be functional every day, but was clogging up the simple little plastic filters. The bus would flat out run outa gas on large hills. Being a dealer tech at a Los Angeles dealership I sourced the VW Rabbit Diesel fuel filter assy from a totaled diesel Rabbit. Very simple to install. Huge filter to trap an enormous amount of crud, and it did. After the install at no time did I experience a fuel related "running out of gas" scenario, or the common dirt in the pilot jet. The spin on replacement filters are available from all the major filter suppliers.
My current "71 bus has the same setup and I believe the filter was changed over 5 years ago. I did the same on my daily driver '58, clamping this huge filter to the front beam. Am currently running the same setup on my DD '74.
Obviously, a cleaned out fuel tank is optimum but proper filtration is paramount.
Hope this helps, Bill.
DucksHockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

I have this same set up on my bus, but noticed that the eBay link now shows that the fuel filter is old stock and not available.

Does anyone know what the part number is for the replacement filter cartridge?
Vintage Speed Exhaust and Shifter

1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible
2007 Full-flow Engine
Dual HPMX 40's
Vintage Speed Exhaust and Shifter

1973 Thing
1904 Full-flow Engine
Dual HPMX 40's
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

Have the tank boiled out, skip the coating.

Off subject: 72lowslow, does your bus really burn/leak oil bad enough to carry a rack full?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

I just sourced a small micron, inline filter from Napa. It is not see through but it really works. I'll post the part number tomorrow
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Have the tank boiled out, skip the coating.

Off subject: 72lowslow, does your bus really burn/leak oil bad enough to carry a rack full?
I think that was Tom Powell’s bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

Sorry did not scroll to original picture,

So Tom same question, does your engine leak/burn that much oil between changes?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Sorry did not scroll to original picture,

So Tom same question, does your engine leak/burn that much oil between changes?
Mr. Powell won’t be responding with his usual wit and flair. He left us to go to his final resting place a while back. He’s sorely missed around here. I suspect he just liked to be prepared by having enough oil if he needed it. He seemed to be the type to keep up on maintenance. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

OK NAPA 3095 is a ford inline filter with a very low micron rating. It will stop rust, I would carry a spare or 2 as it is not see through.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

I just went through this whole ordeal. I dropped the engine last summer (2017) and also cleaned the tank - but not correctly. Within one year I was back to having to do just what you're dealing with: dirty filters and a stalling engine. SG Kent, from all the way across the county helped me find a good radiator shop here in Rochester (thanks again Steve) and within a week, I lowered the engine, pulled the tank, and had it professionally serviced. I reinstalled the tank and have had no issues since.

Pull the tank and have it serviced by professionals. Peace of mind is better than a box of dirty fuel filters.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A better fuel filter! Reply with quote

The issue can go on for years unless you drop and service the tank. Especially with the ethanol and its water seeking nature. The rusty tank just get rustier and more grief.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: