Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

Folks, just curious, if this car sits for 3-4 days I have to pump the gas pedal to get started or cranks a long time. Just seems like that may dump a lot of gas down intakes (or maybe no bowls on these?) or maybe they drain down when sitting awhile?

New to this so sorry if this has been answered many times before. Is there a better way or is that proper? Thx, Dennis.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

My carbs have always been really good natured. Give the gas a couple of pats hold about 1/8 throttle and crank. It usually starts pretty quick then be ready to release because it’s pretty rev happy

Then hold around 1200 for maybe 20 seconds and the carbs will cough a couple times you’ll feel all 4 cylinders light and it’s GTG after that
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

After my bus sits for several days I always prime it. Without touching the gas pedal, I crank it for 10 or so seconds. Stop and crank again for 10 or so seconds. Then 2 taps of the gas pedal and bam, it fires right up. When just sitting over night I skip the priming and just pump the pedal twice.
’65 Deluxe Build
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

I just turn the key.it spins and fires up.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

If it starts super easy, its probably too rich. Cold starts normally require an enrichment circuit, such as a choke. I run various dual carbs on several of our cars and they all are a little harder to start when cold and particularly if they have sat for a while.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

If it starts super easy, its probably too rich. Cold starts normally require an enrichment circuit, such as a choke. I run various dual carbs on several of our cars and they all are a little harder to start when cold and particularly if they have sat for a while.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

Mine don't idle right until the intakes warm up a little.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

Zdmk07 wrote:
Folks, just curious, if this car sits for 3-4 days I have to pump the gas pedal to get started or cranks a long time. Just seems like that may dump a lot of gas down intakes (or maybe no bowls on these?) or maybe they drain down when sitting awhile?

New to this so sorry if this has been answered many times before. Is there a better way or is that proper? Thx, Dennis.

That would be perfectly normal with no chokes and the mixtures set correctly. It will get much worse as the weather cools toward winter - if you actually have winter where you live...

You cannot expect it to start and run cold like a modern car does with all their proper temp sensors and cold start enrichening circuits. Leaving the idle mixture screws extra rich will help as will a more aggressive accelerator pump stroke.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

On my 1904 with dual 40 idf's it's usually 1 or 2 pumps on the pedal and about 1/4 down and it fires up. Idles rough for about a 1/2 minute and smooths out. And that can be daily depending on the weather.

After 3 weeks it may take 4-5 pumps to get a fire, almost got out to check things but it fired up.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

Your fuel bowls are leaking down after a few days. That’s why it fires up quickly when you drive it daily. My empi 40s do the same thing. I try and crank my bus up at least every other day to keep the bowls full.

I know I should be addressing the bowl leakage issue but since I only drive it on weekends and I have several other project VWs I’m working on it is low priority.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cold starts w dual EMPI HPMX 40s Reply with quote

Run an electric fuel pump and you won’t have that issue. Turn the key and sit for ten seconds. Pump 2-3 times. Turn the key to start.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: