Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

High School Dune Buggy project (circa 1976)
1959 Coupe i got for free.
Reason for VW disease affliction

And yes, I have less hair and more weight now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

You've had this car a long time. I think that speaks volumes on how you feel about it!
If you really do have a 20k budget, this could be a really cool vintage speed car similar to the 58' beetle that was first posted here, but I think the discussion was moved to the 58-67 forum.
I'm not sure if that was the look you were after, but I think it would suit your car very well. I would look closely at the front of your car for prior accident repair. That could explain the clear coat on the front. Possibly it was repaired and blended, using 2 stage vs. Single stage paint? Your car has a ton of potential. Do you have any pictures of the pan and interior?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Link to chassis photos

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=55rover
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

From what I see, you have an extremely complete car! You have all the expensive, hard to find parts. I rarely see bullet fenders that are as straight as what you've got there. Hopefully you still have the tail lights? Strangely enough, original paint black housings come up for sale quite often if you are missing them.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I definitely searched for those items. I literally had not looked at this corner of my storage for 20 years.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Hopefully you still have the seats buried in there somewhere too!! You don't even want to know what people ask for them now!
I miss seeing parts as clean as what your tail lights and bullet signals are in. 25 years in dry storage!!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
I definitely searched for those items. I literally had not looked at this corner of my storage for 20 years.

This steering wheel is incorrect for a ‘55 Bug.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

55rover wrote:

55rover:Bought it for more than it sold for new but less than $1,000 (all I had at the time). I think it was $800.

wanna double your money? Very Happy

on a serious note. that is an awesome car. i doubt there would be anyone here that wouldn't be happy to have it in thier shed.

personally, even if it is a respray i would seriously consider not restoring it. the cars that i am drawn to at shows are those that show thier story and history through originality.
I'll take stone chips and ware, lightly bubbled og chrome and carpark dings etc over fresh paint and repro parts anytime any day.

if someone has added a twist of period tuning gear even better.

fix any rust and blend the paint strip the clearcoat etc. in this case i would definately consider restoring the pan/running gear, but pay A LOT of attention to getting the colours, finishes, bolts etc exactly as they were, with the only exceptions being performance gear.
even then i would aim to get the details as close as possible. aka if you fitted modern koni shocks, repainting and stickering them to replicate the 60s koni look.

plus every $ saved on paint and trim as a $ more to spend on period go fast goodies... and what you would save = a lot of nice bits.

i like dual curcuit master cylinders in drivers, as long as you can camoflage the header tank.
for the purist a tunnelbox is a no-no, but they are far more practical than a non syncro first box. plus you can get close ratio gears for them.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Quote:
55rover:Bought it for more than it sold for new but less than $1,000 (all I had at the time). I think it was $800.

New in ‘55 it was probably $1,400.
I can find an actual new sale price, but it was more than $1,000.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Deleted other post reference

Last edited by 55rover on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
Original body reveal in separate post. 34 years of dust removed.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705467

Looks great, clean it up and run it as is.

I’m trying to understand why you would start a completely different post to post the pictures of it washed down and ask a few more questions. Everything should be posted in one spot. An admin will likely come along shortly and shut one of these posts down and have it all moved into one spot.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Yes, honestly it would be better to take what you posted in the other thread and post it here and continue this thread instead.

People will see the full story and I bet there are already people "watching" this thread and get email updates when there's a new post.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

After posting on a restoration plan, many member comments questioning how much of the original paint was remaining. After 34 years in storage, I couldn't remember. Below are the results of spraying down the body (currently removed from matching frame) and on a roll around base. Honestly, a lot of the original finish is there. The only visible repairs are the front fenders and deck lid (pretty poorly done by previous owner). All the rest of the finish appears original. There are commensurate dings and dents. One good one on the passenger rear quarter panel. Rust is minimal, the only area notable is the spare tire well and it is surface only. A little hail damage while I owned it. Dents in hood and trim and punched holes in the rag top. After a complete frame clean, suspension, trans-axle restoration the body is going back on as is. Interior is shot and will be replaced.

Questions:
- Thoughts about repainting the fenders only?
- Clear coat the car?
- Any other "OG" tips?

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Put that beaut.back together button it up and drive it. Its just what most of want.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

The body paint looks really nice. With respect to repainting fenders. That becomes more subjective and personal I think. If you really clean up the car, can you live with how the fenders look without repaint? If you can't go ahead. To me that's a personal choice.

EDIT: NO clear coat.

Last edited by *Darren on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

a few hours with some warm soapy water / nail brush will get the trim panels and back seat looking really nice.
be careful with solvents as some can strip the colour out.

if it is just the stitching in the ftont seats, that is an easy fix. (until some of the triangular trim holding tabs on the seat base invariably break), if not repairable seat covers do turn up from time to time.

there is a look a 60 yo vinyl trim gets that you just can't get with even the best reproduction.

i like the old ratty carpet look.

early headliners basically never survive, do it and the window rubbers.

a really good cut and polish should bring the car up wonderfully. some paintless dent work on the hail. maybe get the rear 1/4 fixed but only by someone who knows how to shrink and metal finish.

check out this thread on what is possible:

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&highlight=last+triumph
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Reference semi-batwing steering wheel. All information I can find show full bat-wing steering wheel on pre-Aug 1955 Beetles. Everything on this body so far has been original and basically untouched. I am having a hard time believing someone replaced the steering wheel in the 27 years I did not own it. The steering wheel is in bad shape due to someone installing a steering wheel spinner and boogering up the finish.

Question: Anyone else have a semi-batwing on a pre-Aug 1955 Deluxe USA Ragtop Beetle?

Keith wrote:
55rover wrote:

This steering wheel is incorrect for a ‘55 Bug.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

A friend of mine just found me a 7/55 semi-bat wing as you call it. Progressive refinements lists the steering wheel change as 4 Aug 55. My steering wheel is original paint and is the darker beige color like a bat wing.
I agree, your car should have a bat wing. Is there a date stamp on the metal hub of your wheel? Some have it, some don't for whatever reason.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

when was the change from semaphores to front blinkers? eggs to snowflakes? ribbed doors to smooth? and early pan to late pan?

this car is an interesting mix of early and late oval features.

could we please get a picture of the engine lid spring mount?
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
when was the change from semaphores to front blinkers? eggs to snowflakes? ribbed doors to smooth? and early pan to late pan?

this car is an interesting mix of early and late oval features.

could we please get a picture of the engine lid spring mount?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: