Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

#2 fuse blowing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

I cannot figure out anything right now.

About twice a week I will look down when driving and the brake warning light will be on. It is coming on since the #2 fuse has blown. On the #2 fuse there is a wire coming from the coil, then a black wire that goes to the brake lights and a black and yellow wire that goes to the horn.

I checked the wires at the fuse block, and at the brake warning light, at the brake light switches, and at the rear of the car at the brake lights. I also checked the wires for the horn, and the light bulbs. I did not see any chaffing or anything grounding.

Can it be one of the brake light switches?

I need the brake lights and the horn to work during the commute traffic.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

In stock form, the black wire that leads to the ignition coil receives its power from the input side of fuse #2. In other words, the ignition circuit is not protected by a fuse. Rather, it receives its power from a bridge in the fuse panel from fuse #1; connected to terminal 15 on the ignition switch.
The only two circuits protected by fuse #2 are the brake lights and the horn.
I would suspect an intermittent internal short in the horn; grounding the black/yellow wire, which always has power when the ignition is switched on.
You could disconnect the black/yellow wire (and tape up the terminal end) for a couple of days to see if the problem goes away.
If the horn works as it should when #2 fuse is in place, look for a short in the brake light circuit.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

I removed the black/yellow horn wire, then fired up the car and stepped on the brake and the fuse blew. I guess that means it is in the brake wire circuit somewhere.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. It has been a long week. Turned out it was the rear most brake light switch on the master cylinder (It was 24+ years old). One of the terminals came off and touched another and created a short which melted part of the plastic wire housing.

I need a new brake light switch (what is a good quality one now ATE or FTE), and a plastic wire housing for the terminals. Does anyone know the part number for the terminal plug and where I can buy one?

At least I am not blowing fuses any longer or melting wires!!!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has a german switch and the rubber boot. The brass terminals have to be cut off the wires and replaced when installing the new rubber boot. Part number for the boot is: 113 945 521A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

How about the plastic plug. Is there a vw part number for this? I could not find it in the exploded parts diagrams.

https://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/brake-ligh...hes_379500
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 fuse blowing Reply with quote

Here's a link …

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113945525

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: