Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Done. I HIGHLY recommend the tweed headliners. Very easy to work with, and stretch nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Very nice job! Please come redo mine
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

5 hours of hard work... And for what?? A popout window that doesn't close properly! Ugh... I'm spent. Anyone have any pointers? All the holes lined up with the original hardware, new rubber all around. The glass seems too big for the rubber seal.

It looks as though if the hinges weren't in place, it would allow a proper seal. As you can see in this picture, it's about 1/4" long... About the width of the hinges. I'm confused.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

The quarter windows came out of this car, correct?

Bryan
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes. I verified that they worked before they were dismantled. All original hardware, all holes matched holes in car. This is very odd. I can only contribute this to all of the new rubber. Perhaps thicker material than original German.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I have no advice or experience yet, but where did the new rubber come from?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Not sure... The previous owner had a HUGE box of rubber. Most of which were tied with a wire and a tag with a hand written description of what it is and the years it's compatible with. There was a catalog to WCM, so I've assumed the rubber was from there, but lm not sure. WCM usually has a more professional way of tagging their product, printed label with their logo. The popout rubber is a horrible fit... The thin rubber that is between the channel and car body was to small, had a hard time properly attaching it all. The window rubber was too small for the channel too, after using weather stripping adhesive, all was ok... Until the window was installed. There is no possible way for window to close as is. I will be taking the window and rubber out to find a better fit.

Can someone please, who has done this recently, recommend a set of weather stripping that fits.

Thanks guys.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Looks like Kiwi might have had the same problem at one point last year and seemed that the 1/4 window molding could have something to do with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1540
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

If you are reusing the same metal strip, but with new rubber molding, I'd say that the rubber is the issue.

Bryan
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I used WCM rubber. I needed to make an adjustment. I was in about the same predicament. I pulled the window and the big rubber seal the alum and rubber below. I filed a slot for the screw holes on the alum trim to allow it to be pushed deeper into the car. I slide the whole thing between an eight and quarter inch in. That was enough to get all to fit. In the second pic above it looks like window is a little high in back. Be sure it is all the way forward in the vertical channel.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

rward011 wrote:
Looks like Kiwi might have had the same problem at one point last year and seemed that the 1/4 window molding could have something to do with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1540

Indeed. I left the car in the sun many days to soften the rubber but to no avail. I eventually re-installed the quarter windows after moving the tracks inward. I have since been too afraid to open those quarter windows after using more force than I wanted to close them.

I think the KGP&R rubber is too hard. I had to replace the front hood rubber from KGP&R with a more pliable one from Rudiger Huber because that one also sat too high. (Nothing wrong with KGP&R quality, but I think the German rubber is of a different grade of softness.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

You might look into a different seal supplier?

https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-karmann_ghi...0-71_8160/

bryan
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I like that tweed headliner. Classy.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who helped out. Will purchase from Custom and Commercial (German Quality) when they come in stock. Moving on...
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Not much to update... Although I did get the dash wrap custom sewn with a French stitch. Have some trimming to do on the dash cap, should be able to get it finished next weekend.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Relocated the coil to where the ole voltage regulator used to be...

Bought one of those motorcycle lifts from Harbor Freight. Much better than trying to balance the engine on my hydraulic jack. This thing is awesome. Very stable and easy to mate the engine to the tranny with one person.

Almost done. Had to remove the shroud/alternator to get it in. Have a couple more tin pieces to install. Then it's heater boxes and a muffler... So close to being able to turn it over. Very excited. Cool

Last edited by xzener on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Sweet. Good to see ur soldiering on, did the new rubber come in yet?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

No... Haven't ordered it yet. But I got the other door done. 😉

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

So far the rubber is my least favorite part of rebuilding a ghia, it's like a kick to the nuts, that I would gladly pay to have someone else pay take for me, lol
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Agreed. Forgot to install the corner screws on the deck lid gasket. Left it open one night, found it had peeled up and away from the corner. Had to re-glue it and put the screw in, which quickly tore. Had to add another washer to properly hold the corner down. I'd rather pay someone else to install this stuff. Not looking forward to the door seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 46

Jump to: