Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

CMS wheels.... well I bought a set new for the front of my bug about 13 years ago. they were polished, and wobbely, and off center(lug pattern), looked good parked!! well I puled them off years ago, I just got them out of the shed last month...or 2 and put on my milling machine.checked with dialindacator Shocked :2gunfire: yikes!!! like I said I bought them new... and never been curbed, always been like poop and always a shake. I know why. Wink so.... i dial indacated on the face and od to center them up, andon the face to see how bent out of shape they were....at a 4" radi ( thats 8" dia)they were almost .080" wobbly out.....witch gets worse the farther out it go's ( laws of phisics) I didnt bother checking it out at the edge, it was bad. so i had them on my serface plate on the mill and made numbers all around them in about 16 spots. then attempted to equalize them..... well....I got them down to around .015" on the face (8" dia) thats much better. I recentered the mill with dial indacator and milled out the lug holes in the proper places and made 6061t6 aluminum sleved flanged incerts for the lugs . then I programed the DRO for a * hole patters around the center portion about 9"dia x 1.250 holes through the rims.(thats a much better looking rim!!! I then made a wheel spining jig powered by my bridgeport and used 400-600 wet paper dry... get rid of the nasty polish job and now have a great looking set of wheels, looks like a machined finish. I mounted the new 185-65 solar tires on them in my living room ( wife is in socal this week&next) and then I installed them and went for a ride!!!!....oh so sweet now, cant feal a thing, no balance weights, nothing. somuch better than the steel wheels I was running.and much better looking. and the solar tires(sumito tire) have a great tread pattern!!! the wheels look like bogart wheels...so...Ill call them bugart wheels!!!

Now to make some center caps!!!
no I dont have a clue how to add pic's
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

, please dont tell any body... I may of figured this out.....
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

Good work on the wheels! Now, how about a pic of your 356? Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

not sure those would look good on the 356, but the ones on it are rusten from sitting...I probably should sell those steel wheels off to somebody that needs them, tires are almost like new and stay covered. after all I dont like the look of the steel wheels on it now.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

The wheels look nice! And congratulations on the picture posting. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CMS wheel rebuild/ rework/ add holes Reply with quote

well they have been on for almost a month. and still look great!!! sofar no corosion like they did polished Shocked Confused I got some armerall mud guard( for mud trucks I presume) and sprayed them before putting the tires on..them suckers are slick as snot. I got some chemical guys ultra wheel protectant save for them but Ill waite and see how this mud spray does...hmm it would be nice to put on a newley finished car underbelly or a new car!!! it says not to put on tires....might not stop it so slickery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: