Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

I would clean and repack front wheel bearings and check brakes then make sure the rear axle nuts are torqued and the proper cotter pins are there . Also make sure the lug bolts are torqued and rear axle boots aren't leaking .
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

any properly mantained VW will drive for as long as you are willing to endure without stopping to get gas or take a leak

also, VW thought that driving 80mph was totally fine with stock brakes and suspension, and I'm definitely not smarter than those german engineers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just make sure you have enough air getting into the engine compartment in you earlier car that will have a solid engine lid (doghouse fans need more air,, that's why they have vented lids), and make sure your distributor matches you carburettor and is adjusted properly
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

If you have an older transaxle with the 4.375 R&P you would have to hold it to 75 mph to maintain the same rpm. Still, I'm not comfortable running the engine for extended periods at 3900 rpm.
kafercup55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

All I can say is WOW! I am completely floored at all of the amazing responses. Seriously - thank you!

Ok, so let me clarify a few points as I read through this:

1. The Engine - As I said, this is a '65. The owner isn't a pure VW guy and said he "thinks" its a 1600 single / dual port. I"ll know immediately when I check it out here in 3 hours. I do run the risk of it being an original 1200 - and I'm ok with that... just more work for me. It's likely not though, because one of the draws of this car for me is it's an all original '65 with matching pan / body, etc. he even has the matching engine case separate which indicated to me that the motor is likely upgraded.

2. Safety - I have full intentions to go through the car from bumper to bumper to ensure everything is in perfect working order. If the car is still 6V (it may be) then I'll upgrade it to 12V. All brakes, lines, fluids, bulbs, etc will be replaced - just for my piece of mind. I'll also add a cool "euro" light on the back that will double as an additional very bright brake light. I'm also considering swapping out the front driver's seat for something with more support and a 3 point harness for the trek.

3. Snow - It's only a minor concern, which does grow the longer I wait to make the trek. I'm shooting for fall so I can take advantage of cooler air temps. I'm also originally from New England, so snow "ain't got shit on me" when it comes to driving in it. However who ever said it was correct - native Alabamians are TERRIBLE drivers in the snow or heavy rain. Like, they should probably just stay home. Smile

4. Highway speeds - I didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted a barn burner on the highway. Lots of freeways / highways have speeds that far exceed 70 mph. If I take some back roads and keep it slow n steady, I'll be fine. I do also worry about keeping a car this old running at 3500+ RPM's for 10+ hours a day.

5. Transmission - I think I'll definitely figure out what's in it this weekend, then look to do a slight upgrade of the R+P. That'll improve driveability all around.

6. Engine temps and airflow - These were fantastic suggestions and I will either get stand-offs or do the tennis ball method. If its a 1600 I'll also look at getting a higher flow fan and see what else I can do to keep temps down.

7. Travel / service kit - Thank you to those that gave me lists of parts to take and what to expect.

8. Fall-back plan - I do have a fall back plan. I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that is all decked out with lift, tires, etc that is in perfect running order. If all else fails, I'll just drive the Jeep out there and use the VW as my "town car" back home in AL until I make the final move out there. I don't WANT to do this for a few reasons (wear and tear on the brand new 4.88 gears and 37" K02 tires, adding a ton of miles to a car that just hit 46K, etc.) but I will if I don't feel like my trip can be made safely.

Again, thank you all for the awesome outpouring of great suggestions. I love this community. Keep sending ideas my way, and I'll start a build thread once I get the car to track the work and eventually the journey. I'll be sure to also post the route so if any of you live along the way, maybe I can stop in and buy you lunch or a beer.

Cheers!
-Thane
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

OK sounds like you have a good solid plan. Now. Post some pics please.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

I'll say one more thing

I've driven most of that route before. Sacramento to Houston. It sucks. I decided that if I ever move back, I ain't driving it. That was a nice full size GMC truck. After that trip I didn't want to get in a vehicle for a while. If I did it in a bug... on a regular basis... I would hate that car

Still sounds fun, but I would want to do it for pleasure
kafercup55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

Totally agree! This is going to be a one and done trip. I'll keep the bug out there and use the Jeep back home until we sell the house and move. Thank you for posting!

Erik G wrote:
I'll say one more thing

I've driven most of that route before. Sacramento to Houston. It sucks. I decided that if I ever move back, I ain't driving it. That was a nice full size GMC truck. After that trip I didn't want to get in a vehicle for a while. If I did it in a bug... on a regular basis... I would hate that car

Still sounds fun, but I would want to do it for pleasure
kafercup55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

**UPDATE**

I got the car. It's a 1600 dual port for sure - seems to be a solid rebuild. The car is solid too. It's also slammed with a complete adjustable front beam. It turns out that some of my local tuner buddies actually worked on the car before it was sold to the previous owner - so I know its a solid vehicle. Now to go pick it up on Sunday. I'll take pics and post them up here ASAP.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
any properly mantained VW will drive for as long as you are willing to endure without stopping to get gas or take a leak

also, VW thought that driving 80mph was totally fine with stock brakes and suspension, and I'm definitely not smarter than those german engineers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My problem with VW claiming the top speed as the cruising speed is - it's obviously not. Laughing

If you're going 75, 80mph, you don't have any reserve power for hills or headwinds. Theoretically, in a perfect, hill-less, windless world, 80mph is the cruising speed, but in the real world it just isn't. I chalk this one up to the copywriters, not the engineers.

edit: I have to repeat that while backroads can be fun, you will definitely be safer on the interstate. I've driven cross country many times in vintage, underpowered cars, so I write this from the experience of many trips.

The problem with using the old highways and backroads, particularly in hilly country is manifold. Steep grades, no shoulders, short on ramps, poorer visibility due to more grades/corners, etc. Drivers are more impatient because there is no fast lane to pass you in.

I've done this many times, in vehicles even slower and more underpowered than VWs.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Close enough to identify the bugs on the grille Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

The problem with using the old highways and backroads, particularly in hilly country is manifold. Steep grades, no shoulders, short on ramps, poorer visibility due to more grades/corners, etc. Drivers are more impatient because there is no fast lane to pass you in.

That's the truth. Once got punted into the ditch by some Kenworth moron in NM.
They give out CDLs to all kinds of yahoos nowadays. Sometimes the Superslab is safer, if not quieter.

If you drive through Marathon TX on 90 stop in.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a good runner. Good luck. You will tell your grandmids about this adventure
blitz64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

Bring a spare clutch and accelerator cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

blitz64 wrote:
Bring a spare clutch and accelerator cable.

Good suggestion.

In AZ I drove a stock, daily driver, '63 bug (1200cc) from Phoenix to Tucson and back every weekend. That's about 250 miles round trip, and with daily milage, about 300 - 350 miles every week. So that was about 1200 - 1400 miles per month.

Interstate speed was 60 - 65 at 3600 - 3800 rpm. I did that for six or seven years and sometimes temps were over 120 degrees. VWs are tough, but without an oil filter I changed the oil every four weeks; 13 times a year!

All of the above spare parts suggestions are good, but I also carried two spare tires. Two spare fan belts, too. I also carried a spare distributor (with new points correctly set), and used it once. I did valve check/adjustments every other month, and almost always had correct gaps. Brake adjusts were three - four times a year. ALL standard maint was done by the book.

The VW seats were junk, so I transplanted Honda Accord seats for butt comfort.

Good luck, it is an adventure!
ItashaBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving across America in my '65 - Advice needed Reply with quote

Took a vacation with wife in our 73 standard beetle, all stock engine with around 10k on new rebuild and 43,549 on odometer. We cruised at 60/65 the whole way and let everyone in a hurry pass. We drove from Roswell NM to Las Vegas NV. Was a great trip, drove mostly at night and had a thermador swamp cooler filled with ice to help with desert heat. Only problem is when we lost fuel pump but was a 10 minute fix and back on road. Don’t rush and enjoy your trip and let everyone take photos of your VW. You’ll have people at every gas stop asking about your cool ride too. Good luck on your build and maybe see you on highway one time.

iowegian wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Slow down, take the slower routes, & enjoy the drive. Aside from making sure that it's mechanically sound, LITFA.

Truth.
Take an extra day and enjoy the ride. Pretend that it is the mid-sixties. Stop in small towns for pie frequently. Stay in Mid-Century mom&pop motels.
A solid stock 1600 will do everything you need. No need to go 80-85 mph in an antique car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: