Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 rear glass install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

So I decided to create a separate thread for my rear glass install trials and tribulations. Hopefully, some of the more proficient members can give me some pointers.
Starting out, I installed the Kgpr rubber with molded corners around the glass
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next I installed the original T trim into the rubber

Before I insert the rope, I placed the unit into the opening, just to see the fit.

Now, looking at this does anyone have any pointers or concerns? I expect the rubber to not have such a gap at the top. But if that's the way it goes I will continue on. Any hints tips or tricks are welcome
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Get a 12’-15’ piece of paracord, & rub it down with a candle, paraffin, or just a bar of soap. Get a Bic pen, remove a the innards & the plug at the other end, thread the paracord through it & tie a knot at each end. Start at the middle bottom of the glass, insert the cord into the gasket leaving about 6”-8” out & zip the body of the pen around the perimeter of the gasket. This turns the tedious, 15 minute job of thumb blistering hell of tucking the cord in the grove into 30 seconds of fun.

Some people use different means of lubricant for the seal install, just remember to use something safe for rubber (yes, I have used KY for windshield installs.

Seat that glass into the frame, you won’t be able to pull it in to the body being that far out at the top. The lower edge won’t have enough lip to grab on to & the window will constantly try to “squirt” up & out of the frame.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Good tip, think this will work?

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Are you trying to pull the window into the body with that or tying it off to the roof? Laughing I like the tighter woven cord, less to get snagged as it is pinched between the body & rubber lip.

Too thin of a cord will cut the gasket, too thick & you”ll tear the gasket when you get to the tight corners.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Are you trying to pull the window into the body with that or tying it off to the roof? Laughing I like the tighter woven cord, less to get snagged as it is pinched between the body & rubber lip.

Ha, yeah it might be a tad overkill, I'll look for something thinner. I tried weed trimmer line in the past, but was too thin
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

You should be able to find some paracord like this at Home Depot or Walmart, its usually about $5 for 25' or so. I can't offer much advice on the window install, its been years since we did the windshields on the Beetle and my dad did most of the work. Very Happy I'll be watching with interest as I'll be installing windows in about 3 years LOL

A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Yeah, I would look for better cord. A small dowel works like a handle.
A coupe almost requires a second person pressing down on the glass from outside and directly over where the inside guy is pulling the cord. They follow each other pushing from the outside and pulling cord inside. I cut a ragtop 34inch hole in my roof so it was a little easier for me to push and pull. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Washing line cord works well - it is smooth and about 3.5 mm in diameter. I used the cone shaped applicator of a silicone sealant can to feed the cord into the rubber's lining.

I know others have suggested starting at the top of the glass but I found it easier to get the glass in by starting in the middle at the bottom and going to the corners from there. Gravity is your friend. (You have to fit two lines of cord, one for each direction, to meet in the middle at the top.)

One pair of hands inside the car, another outside pressing gently on the glass in synchrony with the cord's movement around the windscreen aperture.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

After I have my cord installed, haven't bought any yet, is there anything else I should do? I am going to attempt to pull the cord from the top first using a helper.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

This is method I use, and start at bottom center of window.

Link

Bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

That’s the same technique that I use. Watch the video carefully & note how the helper does not apply pressure at the same point where the cord is being pulled, this will cause the gasket to cut or tear.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Managed to get the glass in, first tried the top first, but just couldn't get the gap at the bottom close enough to pull the lip over.
So, retried with the bottom first and managed to get it in.

Had to use this special tool ( can opener) to coax th inside lip for the last 1/4 bit from the middle of the top to the top corner.

Talking to my dad, he said they used to zip them in quickly when he worked at the dealer, so it's probably the difference between Oem German rubber and the reproduction rubber
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Good job, well done.

I really like the colour of your car.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Great job!

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Thanks! And thanks for the tips!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

I think soaking the cord in soapy water might be a good idea... Could work like a lubricant. Has anyone tried that?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

I use generous amount of liquid dish soap & water in a spray bottle to spray perimeter of the rubber seal groove and spray the window opening before installing glass.

Bryan
sdinges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

Greetings - I some need to help/advice please. I see too many other Ghia’s with bright metal work installed - so i know it can be done! I am just struggling on the upper left and right corners.

Within the past week I was forced to remove the rear glass because the roof and rear deck was in need of attention. When the car was re-painted 3 years ago the front windscreen was re-installed perfectly but the rear had some issues, it never really was seated correctly and it leaked.

To my knowledge this is the original bright metal T-shape molding and I can get it seat well except for the upper left and upper right corners of the glass. What’s the secret? I have watched al the videos and I am using a molded corner rubber seal.

I am reluctant to install the Cal Look rubber seal because it’s always had the chrome pieces installed and I can’t find a window person locally to install it.

Thanks in advance- cheers!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

sdinges wrote:
... To my knowledge this is the original bright metal T-shape molding and I can get it seat well except for the upper left and upper right corners of the glass.

It seems to me that the rubber fits nice and flush but that the beading/molding stands a little proud. I don't think the fix is difficult although it may involve a re-installation after the molding has been bent into shape to follow the contours of the rubber as on the car.

Just be gentle. You may want tp place the molding on its own on the channel where the rubber has to go and bend it until it has the right contours. (I had to do this after my moldings came back from the polisher and anodisers.)

Good luck.
sdinges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 rear glass install Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
...It seems to me that the rubber fits nice and flush but that the beading/molding stands a little proud. I don't think the fix is difficult although it may involve a re-installation after the molding has been bent into shape to follow the contours of the rubber as on the car.

Just be gentle. You may want tp place the molding on its own on the channel where the rubber has to go and bend it until it has the right contours. (I had to do this after my moldings came back from the polisher and anodisers.)

Good luck.

Thanks - that has to be the best description I have heard “sitting proud”. I will continue to shape the metal carefully
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: