Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many known splits are left?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Thanks for the support!

One interesting factor of the German TUV requirements were the restrictions on underbody rust. If a VW flunked the test, it could not be driven legally by a German national. However, a car was not required to pass the TUV for export registration (or any other mechanical test), which is another reason why so many of them ended up in the hands of American tourists. Due to the crazy regulations, a car that was considered scrap in Germany could only be made roadworthy if it were resold for export!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wow, thanks for all the responses. Having a Brasilia in addition to being a new split owner, questions of "how many" come up regularly.
This is my recent purchase, a May of 52 that has been repaired badly front and rear, plus at some point underwent a "zwitter transformation". Its rough, but I'm digging it, and once I have all the bits again, I'll tear into it for a real restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

.. many happy years of enjoyment. That '52 is a great foundation, you have there... one of the few remaining
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Thanks for the support!

One interesting factor of the German TUV requirements were the restrictions on underbody rust. If a VW flunked the test, it could not be driven legally by a German national. However, a car was not required to pass the TUV for export registration (or any other mechanical test), which is another reason why so many of them ended up in the hands of American tourists. Due to the crazy regulations, a car that was considered scrap in Germany could only be made roadworthy if it were resold for export!

... nothing worse than a buncha' rules-

- but I guess, Germany has them so, citizens buy more cars, create more employment and improves the economy.

We have some states with harsh motor vehicle laws and other's that are more relaxed. We used to live in tough and harsh NJ and NY and now reside in "a land of the free", more relaxed-Oklahoma... California and Texas are tough ones also - dense populations are a contributing factor, i'd say...

... you know what they say, " German sausage are the wurst"
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

how much of this car is actually may of 52? it looks like an oval window that had a split window grafted in.

c_wilburn wrote:

wow, thanks for all the responses. Having a Brasilia in addition to being a new split owner, questions of "how many" come up regularly.
This is my recent purchase, a May of 52 that has been repaired badly front and rear, plus at some point underwent a "zwitter transformation". Its rough, but I'm digging it, and once I have all the bits again, I'll tear into it for a real restoration.

c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
how much of this car is actually may of 52? it looks like an oval window that had grafted in

The entire pan, the main shell, the passenger door, probably the front hood. The car was hit hard front and rear at some points. Basicly it would be the equivalent of a split Baja as everything beyond that point is from a number of other vehicles, including a bunch of oval parts (making me think the first repairs were done fairly early on) and some mid 60’s parts, and a rear apron that may be just an aftermarket replacement. It has definitely been rode hard and I’m sure lived a hard life. It will take a lot of time and money to get it right.
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
.. many happy years of enjoyment. That '52 is a great foundation, you have there... one of the few remaining

Thanks, it’s got a long way to go for sure but they all start from something.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

YES . . . the German vehicle laws are very strict !!

When I bought the 1949 Hebmuller VW (14-00258) in June, 1970, the German vehicle registration document had the
corner cut off meaning that it could no longer be driven in Germany unless the rust and mechanical issues were resolved.
But being in the US Army at the time and getting the US Army inspection registration approved to ship to the USA, basically
required that the vehicle was running and drivable, all the lights, turn signals, tires and horn to be working. . . .
And it look presentable !! I made sure that was all acceptable to get the Hebmuller shipped to San Diego, CA back then in
1971 when I left the Army.

As a side note, when calculating the number of Split Window that are left in the world, please make sure that subtract one
from the total as this 1950 Split Window VW was only used for parts and then scrapped back then in 1970.

. . . . . Popcorn

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Due to the crazy regulations, a car that was considered scrap in Germany could only be made roadworthy if it were resold for export!

… Or to American military personnel!

I have subtracted 99.9% of German the split window fleet, which includes that 1950. The Hebmuller would fall under "cars rescued by quirky Americans." Wink

Heinz Nordhoff
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

how many splits left? not enough! is the answer
mbliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Super interesting thread! I am restoring a 1951 Standard that was originally delivered in Offenburg Germany. I've always wondered (and tried to find) how many of each model type were originally manufactured by year (i.e. Standard, Standard Sunroof, Deluxe, Deluxe Sunroof, etc.).

I know that the Split Registry is likely a subset of total remaining cars, but it is amazing that I only count 53 or so Standard Splits for 1951 considering that 98,709 cars were built that year. (.05%) Those that have an 11e are in even a rarer population!

Because these cars were considered expendable, I am sure that many of them were used, modified, scrapped, all of the above. Often times the most manufactured cars become the rarest over time.

Cheers everyone!

-Mike
1962 Beetle, L87 Pearl White with Judson/1200 power
1967 Beetle, L282 Lotus White
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

Whilst we are wondering how many still exist does anyone know if this one is still complete...

1949 - 1-101991 - On the register as being in Hawaii

The car was rescued by me here in the UK way back in 1972 from the yard at the back of a dealer's workshop. I partly restored it and drove it for a few years then sold it on where it was well restored and passed into at least one more owner in the UK before crossing the Atlantic.

I've tried to find out before but never received a complete answer.

Any more info would be nice please.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

I bought this '50 standard in 1978 while living in NJ and sold it in 1980 - was my daily.. here's me in 1978

... fast forward to Tulsa, Oklahoma - we moved in 1993 and found this... same car - can still be counted.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

zen have you still got those fine 70s threads too...? Cool
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
zen have you still got those fine 70s threads too...? Cool

those flair-bottom pants were comfortable - was on my lunch break, in that picture - worked for Volvo Cars of North America, at the time... I was a real fashion statement. Most everyone wore a 3 piece suit and most of the time, I wore a flannel shirt with that same garb - fulfilling the requirements - a clip-on tie too.
My other car was a 1962 Volvo, P1800, with RHD - built at the Jensen factory in the UK...
... left that company in '85 and have not worn a tie since - do miss the pants though.
Do long for a split too... thinkin of getting a fiberglass split - style KDF dash with pods and installing in one of my current Bugs... i'd be happy with that.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

In the Netherlands, we love our split bugs (and all other air-c Cool Cool led VW's actually, it's all about the fun you can have with an air-cooled, no matter what model or year!), so we keep them alive Very Happy

This was a part of our "Brillen en Ovalendag" show in Wilnis (Netherlands) 2018.

But those weren't the only lookers there Laughing :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816122.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816132.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816131.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816130.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816129.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816134.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816135.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816136.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816139.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816138.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816137.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816144.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816142.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816143.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816156.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
In the Netherlands, we love our split bugs (and all other air-c Cool Cool led VW's actually, it's all about the fun you can have with an air-cooled, no matter what model or year!), so we keep them alive Very Happy

This was a part of our "Brillen en Ovalendag" show in Wilnis (Netherlands) 2018.

But those weren't the only lookers there Laughing :
[Img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1816122.jpg/[Img]

those are very nice, too

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

I was doing some research a while back on what % of cars survive after so many years in the USA. I consistently read that only 1% of vehicles survive 20 years after production.

I do think these numbers are skewed a bit as it pertains to VW's, especially bugs. You only have to drive around on nice fall days in any city and see what cars older than 40 years are still being driven on Sunday drives. Here in PHX and in S. California you only see 60's-70's Mustangs, VW's, 50's-60-70's muscle cars, an occasional old PU and that's about it.

My bet is classic VW's survived in greater numbers than any other classic cars.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

whats the story on this one?

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How many known splits are left? Reply with quote

That is an "Argentinian Porsche 356".
The story goes that Porsche was not allowed to export Porsche 356's to Argentina officially back in the days.
Not quite sure, but probably the Porsche 356 chassis (and some other Porsche parts as well) was obtained by a local firm in Argentina; they've built the body, which resulted in the kinda funky looking roof section and rear section of the car, amongst other obvious design deviations from the original 356 design.
That's what I've heard at the "Brillen en ovalendag" show, but obviously the car is a bit of a mystery Very Happy

Here's a useful link:
http://mycarquest.com/2017/03/argentinian-porsche-356.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: