Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

I cut it open with only a 3" air, cut off tool. If I remember correctly ,the end cap was crimped on. The one pictured ,rusted out and oil was dripping out of it.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I cut it open with only a 3" air, cut off tool. If I remember correctly ,the end cap was crimped on. The one pictured ,rusted out and oil was dripping out of it.

Thanks

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
As to quality of them. Them seem pretty heavy. The Wolfsburg West logo in
stamped onto them as well. 9 out of 10 times, I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them.

Alright, thanks.. was curious if they were the same thickness/weight overall, or if it was lighter material.

And thanks KbStockpiler for showing the inside of how those originals looked!

It's strange with the 'Do Not Open' writing on the original Boge shocks. Was under the impression that they were under spring tension and would blow apart like a cannon ball shot if opened up.
At least that's what I was always told or read. They aren't so terrible after all!!

oemwolf
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
I wish WW had the front bumper shocks for the standard beetle available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo from the gallery.

Yeah, would be nice to have a shock with the same identical shape of those larger welded-on plates↑.

The ones Wolfsburg West has will likely fit. They are what I consider an "earlier version" of the shocks before they had what's pictured above.

My January '74 Standard Sunbug came with what Wolfsburg has.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1801970

Whereas my old Feb, '74 Standard came with those you shown. A complete month's difference apart.

Not sure why they changed those welded-plates on the round shock where you bolt it to the body.

oemwolf
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

I put my bumper shocks away but I think the mounts attach to the shock "cover" so it should be possible to cut off the old ones and weld them on the new shocks if done carefully.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "NEW" 74-79 Bumper Brackets/Shocks Reply with quote

Anyone ever have to deal with '74 1303 fenders on a '74? Or perhaps know someone who has? I want to install bumpers, but the is no way the brackets are going to work with the '74 fenders. On the front, I THINK I can get away with using the brackets made for the Mexibeetle bumpers with integrated turn signals, buton the rear, something will need to be fabbed.

I think I might have a line on the correct fenders. Maybe that's the better choice.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: