Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

VPONDER,

Great you are taking out the ride, post some pics of the event.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

It was a good show being indoors with A/C was nice , We got up at 4 am, I could have taken a nap at the show. There was alot of super nice cars there I managed to squeak in the top 50. I think that show is a Do over. New trailer pulled nice on the interstate. Also there a a 1951 Split window bug straight out of the barn but running. Even had the round gas can that sits in the spare tire. Wife has all the pictures.
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Howdy from Australia

Making our own sportster
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Nice looking project keep posting pics it is always good to see others building sportsters
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hey BL3MANX; Have you ever found any additional info on the "Stallion"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Almost finished now
just about ready for painting
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yasdnil01 wrote:

Almost finished now
just about ready for painting
What Color you going with ?
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

red or dark green
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I like green Cool
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

OK then the Green Machine it will be....or the Green Mean Machine
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Been a while...
Since I posted anything about my Bug-E. Good news is I have been working on it a lot, mostly in the unusual heat this summer. I took a lot of pictures, will upload a few. Let me know if you want to see more detail. The body is all on, with exceptions of a couple welds on the front fender reinforcements. The wiring, tank, lighting, battery box, and engine is in and connected. I have yet to put power to it and fire it up.

The bed liner paint turned out good. I started rolling it on, and it looked very inconsistent. So I bought a $18 HF electric spray gun, and threw it away after painting. I cut holes in the suction screen to allow the chunks through. Worked great. My son thinks the car looks like Batman’s tumbler, only smaller.

The wiring was a challenge, as the guys that built the car had one roll of red wire and used it everywhere. The tail lights were difficult, as I had a pair from a ’68 bug. They did not fit flush. I mounted the lens only and the flange from the housing under the fender. One problem the wires underneath are exposed. Oops- didn’t think that through. Working on some ideas, suggestions?

Getting ready to braze new ends on the e brake cables. I painted the handles red/green for port/starboard. My wife thinks it is silly, I thought it was a neat touch. Opinons?

Am getting ready to mount the seats, they are Empi molded buckets. I plan to mount them solid not sliding as there is not much room to slide. Instead of the VW mounts I was thinking crisscross stack 2x2 tubing and bold them on after welding the frame. 2” alone is not high enough to see over the wheel. My grandson needs to drive this, he is only 8. JK. I will take photos. What have you guys done besides stock VW seats?

The windshield is being made this week, I went with 3/16” Lexan. I plan to go with a hand powered wiper, I see they sell on Bay for $10-15. Just the driver side. Doesn’t rain much around Tacoma. Not this year.

I am chairing a car show at my company’s open house, August 18. Will be showing the Bug-E there. I plan to tow it as not much road testing has happened, yet. Maybe I will start it tonight. Maybe I will bleed and finish the e brake first…

Thank you!
Earl

vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Looking Good Earl, my first seats were on the floor pretty much, I couldnt even see the spare tire on the front. The second set is up I think four inches. They slide but not very far. I have a straight tow bar I keep behide the seat so to slide them forward to get that out is nice. Vince
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

johnnyniceguy wrote:
Hey BL3MANX; Have you ever found any additional info on the "Stallion"?

Just came across this

johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thank you BL3Manx! It really sparked my interest. I hadnt looked for other Sportster info on this sight until I saw an old Sportster topic pop up a few weeks back. Since then; I think I'm all caught up. Never had heard about the stallion before that. I had noticed many subtle differences on every sportster that I have looked at; and just assumed the builder made changes to fit their own preferences.. Could be the plans were just a little different from each
plan design. Thanks again for all the leg work. I answered the other topic so that it be listed right above this one for a day or 2. Great information in both topics. Hope other newcomers picked up on the info.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yasdnil01 wrote:
Howdy from Australia

Making our own sportster

How did you roll the bed rails ? I need to make a bed for one of my projects and going to use aluminum as the rest of it is that
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Howdy Sandhopper

Well I'm glad you asked
Side was not rolled but just bent in a series of close bends
From memory i just measured down 40mm from the top of side panel and divided into 5mm sections and giving a series of small bends in the press brake folder till it suited the outside diameter of the pipe that we used
Sorry about the metric measurements but that how we do it Down under
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

so a small bend every 1/8 of an inch can make it look round ?
I have a 48inch finger brake so I will give this a try
Thanks
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yep thats the answer
the more bends the better the end result finish
and it's all pretty much a case of trial and error
give it a go on some sheet scrap first, that's how i did it

I think you can see the fold lines in this pic
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Can this be done with a bead roller , if so what dies do you get to do this roll over
yasdnil01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBsSIxKL7JI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 33

Jump to: