Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
I used an airplane filler....because the car would fly..... Laughing PUNKS

CLEAN AND SIMPLE

... and the new owner probably enjoys it. Laughing

WHERE'S the NEXT buggy at, Murzi?

bryan
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
MURZI wrote:
I used an airplane filler....because the car would fly..... Laughing PUNKS

CLEAN AND SIMPLE

... and the new owner probably enjoys it. Laughing

WHERE'S the NEXT buggy at, Murzi?

bryan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That lid will fly all right.......off..... Wink

You forgot to bolt it down.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- it's an easy opening filler cap.
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice withthe aircraft cap...where did you get it and what about the filler that connects?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a source of some neat stuff...

http://www.batinc.net/mocal-central.htm

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

What wheels are these that you are using ?

and what size are they as well as the tire size ?

I want to change out the ones in my new old buggy you see pictured below

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
20watts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: looking for a fuel Door Reply with quote

clonebug I am looking for a fuel Door just like the one you are showing do you know where i can find one at
clonebug wrote:
Move your filler and shorten it to be lower than the hood.

Then pick up one of the many styles of flip lids that are available. Get one that you like.

Cut a hole in the hood above your relocated fillers and mount the flip lid above it.

It makes it easy as pie to remove your hood and you never have to worry about leaks or poor flow to the tank with one of those boat fillers.

Not to mention the PITA to try to get the hose loose when you need to remove the hood.

My hood and dash are separate and all I have to do is pull two bolts out by the windshield, flip open the fuel door so I can use it as a hand hold and then pull the hood off for complete access to my tank and wiring.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

The one Clonebug has is by AMP RESEARCH. Mine is also by AMP RESEARCH... Mine is for "M" class Mercedes...

There is 100 or more on sale via internet ... Check out bling sections at local auto parts, NAPA, O'Rilleys, Auto Zone and so on.... PU truck one seem to be best as the are better designed to fit flat (or nearly so) surfaces...

Some have real cheap magnetic locks, some are spring loaded to stay open/closed....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

Mine was from a early 2000s Ford F-150. Aftermarket purchase from Appletree or one of the other big internet auto parts suppliers like Summit, Jeg's, in chrome, silver, brushed aluminum, black, etc...you get the picture, the only trouble you'll have finding one is deciding which flavor you want.

I'd suggest next time you see one you like on a pickup or SUV at your local gas station ask them the model and year of their rig then see what you can find for that on the web.
AlieBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

Quick question, where is your vent line connected?

Cheers,
Aliebug
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

AlieBug wrote:
Quick question, where is your vent line connected?

Cheers,
Aliebug

Mine is just like the one in this pic from earlier in thread...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

Placing a vent hose in the filler neck just above the fuel level is a sure way to get a gulp of fuel trapped in the hose which while cornering or braking. The fuel vapor pressure will then puke it out.

The best place for a vent is as high as practical above the fuel where its least likely to get liquid fuel in it. These flip top fillers should be connected to the top of a filler neck which is welded on the top rear of the tank. The cap is mounted on top of the hood and is self vented(basically as high as practical above the fuel).

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Placing a vent hose in the filler neck just above the fuel level is a sure way to get a gulp of fuel trapped in the hose which while cornering or braking. The fuel vapor pressure will then puke it out.

The best place for a vent is as high as practical above the fuel where its least likely to get liquid fuel in it. These flip top fillers should be connected to the top of a filler neck which is welded on the top rear of the tank. The cap is mounted on top of the hood and is self vented(basically as high as practical above the fuel).

My filler tube goes one inch into the tank. I cut some slots into the tube where it goes into the tank so I don't lose any capacity but it does keep fuel from sloshing up into the filler.
I have had no issues with fuel coming out of the vent and I have put 50,000 plus miles on the buggy since I built it.

The vent just goes down below the pan an inch and is there in case of a spill.
It's never happened but is there in case of spillage.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

At Manx Club meets, they encourage participants to fill their tanks before starting on a back country off road run. Its not uncommon at the first rest stop, which is often just on the side of a steep trail, to see a couple buggies just pissing fuel on the ground out their vent lines
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

A vented cap is sufficient on my car. I've seen some vent lines, here somewhere, that have a few upward coiling loops before continuing out and down from where they come off the tank. I would guess that this would reduce some of the siphoning potential.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

In order for fuel to be siphoned out you would need a line inside down into the fuel. Mine is the stock vent line that VW put on this 1967 tank. It goes straight into the filler about an inch with no bend.

If buggies are leaking fuel at the first stop it would,...could be caused by several issues... in no particular order.

1. Poor design on the builders part.

2. vent too close to the fuel.

3. first stop too early in the ride........an average buggy should get 20-30 mpg. If the first stop is 10-20 miles away from fill up and fuel still leaks out then look back to number one issue..... Wink Laughing

As i said.....no issues with my vent system but I rarely go off road. If I did I would park with the vent on the high side...... Wink

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

This seems to be the best thread I've found for information about "gas door" or "fuel door" installs on Buggies. I like what Clonebug did and plan the same idea on my Mini-T, only out back in the "Bed" to access a Speedway T-bucket gas aluminum gas tank. Speedway didn't have any gas doors I liked. I found some over at Summit, but little description. Sparco, Classic Performance, AMP Research.

I was wondering what other have used, brands and models and where you found them for sale. What size is the cover? What is available seems to be constantly changing. I would like a quality product large enough for me to reach and remove the gas cap, but not larger than necessary. The AMP Research one for the Jeep is tempting but I haven't found size info and I really wish a polished version was available. Thanks!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
... I was wondering what other have used, brands and models and where you found ...

I pick'd a flip cap off from a Triumph TR4 in a salvage yard, cut down the VW filler tube, and connected the cap to tank with 2" hose.

They are still available new, for example:
https://www.sportsandclassics.com/parts/triumph/tr...flip-type/
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
EVfun wrote:
... I was wondering what other have used, brands and models and where you found ...

I pick'd a flip cap off from a Triumph TR4 in a salvage yard, cut down the VW filler tube, and connected the cap to tank with 2" hose.

They are still available new, for example:
https://www.sportsandclassics.com/parts/triumph/tr...flip-type/

That plan is common, but want to keep my buggy body easy to separate from the chassis so I want just a door on the body with the cap remaining on the gas tank. Right now the only things holding the body to the chassis are the dozen bolts attaching them, the rag joint of the steering coupler, and some wiring set up as several plugs that can be quickly disconnected.

BTW -- those little mini-vettes are cool. Getting in and out doesn't look fun but there is more to life than comfort! I fell in love with the Mini-T as a child reading the book "Dune Buggies" (by Gary Gladstone) so I sought out of those. They are not very comfortable either, the seats are moved back from the stock position so the room inside is rather cramped for it, but it is the one that hooked me as a child.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

... as I have continued to search this forum for gas filler door options I found a mention in one thread about using a boat inspection plate. Putting that into google got me a number of options. Most seem to be plastic, but I found some in polished stainless steel. They come in various sizes and the manufacturers actually give dimensions. I think the bright finish is a better match for the more old school look I'm giving my Mini-T and the price is right. Here is what I bought on Amazon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: