Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Everybody screws up sometimes.

For a couple of days, I noticed that the GEN (alternator, actually) light was glowing slightly - you could see it in the dark of the garage. Other than that, all seemed normal. Now this was bothering me because I recently went through the entire electrical system, inspecting, cleaning and tightening. So there was no reason there should be any voltage drop from the rear of the bus to the front. As the light was just barely glowing, I assumed the alternator was OK and it was a connection somewhere.

So today I decided to look into the issue. Figured it was good time to check the battery water and terminals for tightness. So I pop open the rear hatch, and with trouble light in hand, peeked inside. First off, I noticed the battery hold down clamp was loose. Not so loose that the battery could relocate itself, but certainly not tight. So I grab a 13mm socket and ratchet, and tightened it down. That's when I saw the big bare wire sticking out by the air cleaner. That certainly was NOT RIGHT. Turns out it was the wire from the alternator B+ lug to the positive battery cable clamp. It had apparently pulled out of the butt splice on the aftermarket battery cable! I had used a proper ratcheting crimp tool to crimp it, but upon inspection, the butt splice terminal was a cheapie which didn't have a welded seam. Thus, it slowly relaxed, releasing its grip and allowed the wire to pull out. The fix was to cut that sucker off, solder the wires together and insulate with shrink tubing (two layers).

Lessons learned:

1) Don't use cheap electrical terminals - especially in high current situations! I normally don't recommend soldering wires in a high vibration environment like a bus, but for heavy (#8 AWG) wires, it's definitely secure and viable.

2) The battery wasn't charging, but the alternator was driving the small red B+ wire, thus regulating properly and driving the dash indicator with 13.8 volts. Because of the disconnected wire, the battery wasn't being charged, and was down to maybe 11.8 volts. This difference (2.0 volts) was enough to cause the indicator to glow slightly. Had I kept driving, the battery would have slowly died, and the dash indicator would have gotten progressively brighter. Lesson: even though everything else was OK, don't ignore barely glowing GEN lights - investigate. It will save you being stranded on the road.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'05 renault modus Smile a little gallic gay car
toXic rust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have HEAT! Been working on fixing the heat system in a 1970 transporter off and on now for 4 years. Finally got it fixed! I had to restore the long heat tube, replace the heater cables, restore the accordion tubes, and then finally hook it all back up. One of the cables was frozen but a drill helped me spin the cable out and put a new one in. I still had all of those plastic bits and boots that make the cables work well. I restored the heater boxes. The biggest challenge was figuring out how to replace the asbestos on the metal collars on the accordion tubes. I used exhaust wrap instead of the asbestos on the collars. Seems to work well. Well I was out for cruise this morning. Cranked the heater levers down on the dash and low and behold there was heat. I mean good heat too. At the defroster and at the floor. Totally restored. The hardest part was tightening down the barrel nut on the cables. I have a busted arm that is partially frozen and I just could not get both arms up there to make it happen. Finally mastered after I removed the rear wheels to get both arms up in the right place for the tightening.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Heat is good, he says.
Well done, I know I sure appreciate my heat. With the later bay layout, the additional blower motor, along with my efforts a few years back cleaning out all the ductwork, sealing the connections, and replacing the accurator cables, my heat can cook my feet, and be too hot to leave my hands above the defrost.

I also added sticky insulation tape along the center heat tube, before wrapping the tube with the original vinyl material, I mean it cooks. I should pop a thermometer on it....

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zen Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Made a portable control box so I can start and test my engine on my stand.

'79 w/ Sunroof & zBed @ 10:11pm 22 of June 2009 I drove my grandpa's old bus! Thanks to The Samba and all!! 2.0; single weber carb; 78 heads & exhaust, electronic fuel pump.
EricT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

pulled her engine and ordered a flywheel and seal
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bought him some new gauges

bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After owning it for 24 years, I finally made the first cut into it. The inner and middle rockers like they're going to work ok. I have never seen so many patches on top of patches.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
After owning it for 24 years, I finally made the first cut into it. The inner and middle rockers like they're going to work ok. I have never seen so many patches on top of patches.

And it worked great for those 24years.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

JimVeeW wrote:
Bought him some new gauges

Wow - they look good!

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
bvolks wrote:

And it worked great for those 24years.

It hasn't been on the road since 1982. I don't understand how they beat it up so badly in the 11 years it was on the road.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Lowered” the Plump Truck yet again! Razz

That’s 1800 pounds of stainless steel to make two standing ovens! Cool

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I had enough fabric left over from the front seats to cover the driver's side kick panel.
Turned out pretty well, using 3M spray trim adhesive I bought years ago.

Had to modify the new Tbird header I bought 9 years ago to fit this 1.8L motor. It must have been for a longer stroke 2L.
Pertronix stopped carrying them 5 years ago. I haven't searched for another source. This motor has been a 5 month project.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Tuned my engine after having out for maintenance. I had to fix some air intake leaks. I think I may still have a little on the drivers side, but its running and my commute is short.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Had a double header…

My bus? Ball joint boots and kumbucha.

Xevin's bus? Just ball joint boots.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I see you had the perfect crescent wrench for the job.

If only you had some gloves as well. Don't want to get those cuticles dirty... do we?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Lets keep riding him on those gloves - if someone knows his Mom's Ill amazon her a box of nitriles so she can rag on him too.

Love you Robbie...
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

The 77 "Fun Van" was taken on a 400 mile maiden voyage ,engine wise, she is hardly a virgin at 94,000 miles. 100 miles north on I5 from Portland. No problem holding 60mph. east on US12 , starting to climb some mountains, Refueled from the can of 110/92 goodness, let the gal cool a bit. Cleaned the windows. had a smoke, took a pic. Monique, my gps voice(British English) is a hoot to keep me company, turns me off US road onto a county road, Bypassing Yakima at an angle. about 40 mile of "Forest Service" unpaved, but maintained in the spring, some really smooth, some paved, then get to a Wa.Route 141, paved, then around30 miles later, slide down Broadway for some pump fuel and a cooldown/undercarriage looky looky. Closed Union 76, pumps would work with plastic. 10 bux got me back in the comfort one. Electric pumps work better with a more full than empty fuel tank. IMO Campsite about 15 miles east on all blacktop, 1/4 mile gravel off that to Camp. 1:30 AM Saturday last. Return south on US 97 10 miles to Biggs Oregon, Pilot Truckstop. Self serve Island, FYI. 95 or so more on I84, north on i205, then Wa.14 to my neighborhood.
TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I took him to gather some apple today

And i finally found an original westfalia middle seat mustard skai

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 425 of 463

Jump to: