Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

I could not find a post/thread with this info, so here is what I came up with
I only got as far as the top trim panel and upper card.
If you have more info on removing the rear arm rest and lower card, or front "Z" panels, please share.

I used a set of door panel/trim tools from harbor freight.
Here I carefully inserted multiple of the pry sticks in hopes of a tab popping loose. The middle tab did pop.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here the 3 green zip ties are used as markers to show where the tabs are located. There are 4 total retainer tabs on the black trim piece. The 4th one is equidistant as the others, close to the seat-back. This piece comes off by itself, it is not attached to the upper card.

Here the pinch welt on the door pillar must be pryed away, slightly.

The vinyl from the panel is glued and wrapped around the door pillar.

Once the clips are all popped out, you should be able to jiggle the card while pulling upward and outward on the top. The card must be pulled out such that the ashtray clears its hole. The ashtray has a rubber boot that mounts to the body. In my case 75% of the boot was stuck to the body and the other 25% was stuck to the panel. So I had to unstick it from the panel. The ashtray does NOT just pop out of the panel like it does in beetles.
Here you can see that there are 3 retainer clips across the top of the card and one on the lower edge near tucked behind the edge of the seat. There is possibly a 4th clip on the top tucked behind the seat.

Here is a few pics of the tools and trim and panel.

Last edited by vw66bus on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 am; edited 2 times in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

Cool, glad you are doing this. The panels are easy to remove/install replace clips if needed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

To remove the armrest, you would need to remove the lower panel first. The upper panel has some clips behind the armrest... I would say... you did in the the wrong way... But not 100% sure..

And its easier if the back seats are completely out...

The Z-armrest in you car has two metal clips and you "only" need to lift the armrest up...

I did this already 2 times but didn't make any picture. To be honest.. the challenge is to re-install the Z-armrest. Maybe it's easier so install first the Z-armrest and than install the upper panel.. Maybe this was always my mistake why it was so difficult..(yep.. I did it wrong)

Here the photos I made the first time..

2nd. time with new panels and leather Z-armrest

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfish6025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

Dug up this old thread to ask you, OP, did you reupholster your z arm rest? I have them on my 67 and the vinyl is all cracked on top, the chrome strip is in good shape, I’d like to restore those pieces when I replace all my interior paneling. Thx
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

bigfish6025 wrote:
Dug up this old thread to ask you, OP, did you reupholster your z arm rest? I have them on my 67 and the vinyl is all cracked on top, the chrome strip is in good shape, I’d like to restore those pieces when I replace all my interior paneling. Thx

look here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

I followed the link that Andy posted. Only difference is I used a "60" vinyl Leather Repair Patch Tape Self-Adhesive Vinyl Sticker for Sofas Couch-Black" that I got online. This had the same pattern as the original surface
The critical thing for my solution is I needed was to use three tools as you do it.
1. Very sharp razor knife. (It has to be thin and sharp)
2. Hand roller similar to what you use for wallpaper or applying sound deadening rolls. (This is to remove the potential air bubbles and help as you stretch apply.)
3. NON-sharp stiff spatula like tool to push in on corner edges. (Non-Sharp is critical as you can puncture if you are not careful)
I will try and find my pictures. I think I lost these when my phone died. The other thing I had to do was build up the holes in the old foam foundation. I used a quick shot of insulation foam and trimmed to smooth the surface.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

bigfish6025 wrote:

Someone linked my thread above but your armrests are a little different. The only part to upholster is the upper pad itself. The rest is plastic, hopefully they're not cracked. The upper pad shouldn't be too hard to do, a lot easier than the earlier "Z" armrests. Once you get them off the door panel, the disassembly should be pretty straight forward.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Door Panel Removal - How To Reply with quote

The armrests aren’t too difficult to restore. He’s right about the foam spray for repairing/replacing any of the foam that’s missing. You do have to strip all of the old plastic cover off though, which seems sacrilegious but has to be done if you want a smooth finish. After you sand and shape the new foam get some spray on adhesive and then some new faux leather pebble finish vinyl from Amazon and start recovering. If you want to do it right so no pleats are showing on the corners it can take some time to figure out the best way to make it a clean fold. The one good thing about that vinyl is it stretches. I recovered one for BobNotch in grey that came out pretty close to the same color. I’ve also recovered some of the later rear armrests with the chrome trim on them as well. Those are a little bit trickier because of the step down but it can be done. Another great thing about that vinyl is it won’t crack like the original vacuumed/heated plastic does. The vinyl brand is called ViVid adhesive backed vinyl. You can get it in a bunch of different colors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: