Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I mount my elecitric motor?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How should I proceed?
Fabricate a working version of you mock-up
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fabricate a new mustache bar
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

So I’m converting my 1969 vw bus from gas to electric.

I installed the motor onto the drive train and realized it’s too long to bolt onto the mustache bar. Right now it’s resting on top of the mustache bar, cushioned with some rubber hose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure how to proceed. Do you think I can fabricate a piece of steel to attach to the motor and the mustache bar? Rough mock-up:

Or do I need to fabricate a custom mustache bar?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

I have yet to see a picture of an ev motor in a bus or beetle that is supported by some kind of bar.

That doesn't mean people don't use them, its just that I haven't seen it. All the pictures I've seen just show the motor hanging off of the transmission.

What setup are you planning (motor, controller, batteries, and placement of batteries)?
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I have yet to see a picture of an ev motor in a bus or beetle that is supported by some kind of bar.

That doesn't mean people don't use them, its just that I haven't seen it. All the pictures I've seen just show the motor hanging off of the transmission.

What setup are you planning (motor, controller, batteries, and placement of batteries)?

The 69 is a weird model though. The drive train in this model is mounted at the mustache bar. So without that bar, the whole thing will rest on the ground. I think on every other year the transmission is mounted to the chassis. But the transmission on mine just hangs:

I’m using EV West’s VW bus kit with 4 early model Tesla batteries. They don’t address this issue with the kit b/c I think it’s unique to the 69.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

I did not know that.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the batteries set you back?

I'm looking to convert my ghia to electric but I'm waiting for the battery and transmission tech to improve (however fitting a Tesla deivetrain would be nice).
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I did not know that.

I'm looking to convert my ghia to electric but I'm waiting for the battery and transmission tech to improve (however fitting a Tesla deivetrain would be nice).

About $2300 for all 4. Craigslist
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

rmallory wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
I did not know that.

About $2300 for all 4. Craigslist

Wow! That's pretty good!

I look forward to your build, please keep posting your progress;)
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

As a '68 - '71 have no rear trans support (hence the straps holding it up), you'll have to weld up a custom rear support bar. This bar will support not only the motor, but will take all of its torque. Make it stout, but incorporate the stock rubber mounts to avoid breaking stuff.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
As a '68 - '71 have no rear trans support (hence the straps holding it up), you'll have to weld up a custom rear support bar. This bar will support not only the motor, but will take all of its torque. Make it stout, but incorporate the stock rubber mounts to avoid breaking stuff.

Is he basically replicating the mounting bar found on later bays? If so, isn't that a part that can be purchased used? Or did VW reinforce the area where it connects to on the underside of the carriage?
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

Dang. That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like that is what others have done:

Not sure how to pull that off.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

rmallory wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Dang. That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like that is what others have done:

Not sure how to pull that off.

That looks like a lot of weight in the back. I wonder how that would affect steering control.

I would think people would create a cage for the batteries and mount then underneath in between the rails to help keep the center of gravity low and to keep the weight distribution more even. It would also make heat dissipation easier to achieve.

You couldn't fabricate this?

dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

You should ask the EVWest guys, they are friends of mine and I am sure they would be willing to help. They have two split window buses but I am sure they have experience with Bay window buses too. Electric buses are so fun to drive.
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

That looks like a lot of weight in the back. I wonder how that would affect steering control.

I would think people would create a cage for the batteries and mount then underneath in between the rails to help keep the center of gravity low and to keep the weight distribution more even. It would also make heat dissipation easier to achieve.

I actually think that is less weight than the original engine and gas tank. However I do agree that having the batteries under the frame of the bus would be a good idea. Plus it makes the engine bay look so clean.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I actually think that is less weight than the original engine and gas tank. However I do agree that having the batteries under the frame of the bus would be a good idea. Plus it makes the engine bay look so clean.

The cleanliness of the evwest installs are what really turned me on to ev conversions. To me they are as beautiful as an engine bay with Porsche 914 fan housing setup.
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

I’m mounting the batteries under the bench seat. I have far fewer batteries than the bus pictured and much less weight. Maybe I could but I’m not sure how that would help me. Does that mount the the transmission? I already have a stock motor mount. I need customized one to fit this motor.
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
You should ask the EVWest guys, they are friends of mine and I am sure they would be willing to help. They have two split window buses but I am sure they have experience with Bay window buses too. Electric buses are so fun to drive.

Good idea. Just shot them an email.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I mount my elecitric motor? Reply with quote

rmallory wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I’m mounting the batteries under the bench seat. I have far fewer batteries than the bus pictured and much less weight. Maybe I could but I’m not sure how that would help me. Does that mount the the transmission? I already have a stock motor mount. I need customized one to fit this motor.

The exploded view shows the subframe that the transmission hangs off of in a later bay. I would certainly entertain going this route.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: