Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

autostick not going into gear (video attached)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!

Ok, so yesterday I worked 11 hours straight with a car club buddy. We worked out way back, checking fuses checking wiring. we were stumped. We checked everything, reajusted shifter, checked grounds, did valves, timing. EVERYTHING. We are sitting there scratching our heads giving up. Then Somthing didn't seem right to me. The other servo I got is no good. Vacuum leak. So we rigged up my old servo. Don't judge, we know its not right. We super glueed the diaphram to the servo shut. only way we could get the band on. So now the only working servo i have is our rigged up one, but it doesnt pull out all the way, its probably 2mm shorter. So im on the hunt for a new servo. Got some people looking right now.
But, one problem solved, another one arises right? YUP!

So first off the car goes into all gears, but when thrown in reverse, it JUMPS back, scary back. I cant idle in reverse or go slow for that matter. Thoughts. It also cant go past 10mph, pedal to the floor. It wont accelerate. Ideas?

Thanks Max!
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Then Somthing didn't seem right to me. The other servo I got is no good. Vacuum leak. So we rigged up my old servo. Don't judge, we know its not right. We super glueed the diaphram to the servo shut. only way we could get the band on.

Your explanation above is somewhat ambiguous- I don't underatand what you did to suddenly make the car go into gear. And what made you think the replacement servo had a vacuum leak? In your video the clutch arm seemed to stay out fine when the key was on.
As for not going over 10 mph, does it seem engine related. or more like your clutch is slipping? Torque converter bolted to flex plate nice and tight? Any ATF fluid leakage?

As far as it jumping into reverse, autosticka have always engaged reverse a bit harshly, but it shouldn't jump scarily into gear... that can be adjusted with the screw on top of the control valve in the engine bay. Start with where you can see about 3 threads visible on the screw.

In other news, It should NOT be that hard to get the new band clamp on. Yes it's a PITA but I got mine on by pulling it apart wide enough to get around the canister, then squeezing it back together as much as I could with my hands, then grabbing a pair of channel locks and squeezing the two ends of the band together... as soon as the ends were together enough for the bolt to be put in, I held the channel locks squeezed with one hand while I got the bolt in and the nut on with the other.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
freak__76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
freak__76 wrote:
on a side note, your shift rod bushing looks like it's toast.

What makes you say that?

https://youtu.be/kJuU57Ad0d4?t=77
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

freak__76 wrote:

https://youtu.be/kJuU57Ad0d4?t=77

holy crap! Missed that video... I agree that shifter rod bushing looks to be in bad shape. But you may have stumbled upon something else as well:

To the OP-- When you show your shifter lockout plate on the transmission hump in the video, note the raised angled edge is on the left (driver's) side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was this how it was when you removed the shifter lever? If so IT IS BACKWARDS. The raised angled edge is supposed to be on the right side, not left:

Swap that around and see what happens.

1600 SP engine
fatboy4211
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Been following this thread since I found it tonight. My 73 autostick stopped working while on the road. After some reading here (and I thank yall a lot) I found my solenoid only had the hot wire attached. Found the wire from passenger side cut and hidden.
I connected it and the solenoid came to life making some clicking noise. Started the engine and it started running rough but the shifter was working again. my question is.....is there a bypass setup that I ran into or did somehow the wire cut itself while driving leaving no evidence of ever being there?
Its just a quick question. Please don't concentrate on me too much. hate to start a new thread when this is exactly where I need to be.
thank you and im sorry for cutting in you sshulk.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

fatboy4211 wrote:
Been following this thread since I found it tonight. My 73 autostick stopped working while on the road. After some reading here (and I thank yall a lot) I found my solenoid only had the hot wire attached. Found the wire from passenger side cut and hidden.
I connected it and the solenoid came to life making some clicking noise. Started the engine and it started running rough but the shifter was working again. my question is.....is there a bypass setup that I ran into or did somehow the wire cut itself while driving leaving no evidence of ever being there?
Its just a quick question. Please don't concentrate on me too much. hate to start a new thread when this is exactly where I need to be.
thank you and im sorry for cutting in you sshulk.

I can't think of any reason it would have been cut while driving... unless it perhaps got caught up in the fan somehow... But good to hear you found the issue and it now shifts again!

1600 SP engine
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Realizing my original update post was no good I will rewrite it. Firstly my shifter plate is in the correct orientation. I installed it based on the manual photo you have posted above. Secondly, it seems like somthing is off with the timing because it’s backfireing and popping and won’t accelerete at all. I got a new servo for 75$ so I’m going to install it soon. As far as the reverse goes. I will adjust It accordingly. I’ll keep you all updated. Thanks.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
logcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

I hate to hijack this thread too, but my auto stick currently had problems telling the difference between L and 2 when selecting my gear.
9 times out of 10, when I want L, somehow my stick worked its way into 2.

Any ideas about this?
113.905.205AA distributor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

logcar wrote:
I hate to hijack this thread too, but my auto stick currently had problems telling the difference between L and 2 when selecting my gear.
9 times out of 10, when I want L, somehow my stick worked its way into 2.

Any ideas about this?

Check shift lockout plate (shown above.) May need to loosen it and adjust its position a bit.

Or, does your gear shifter seem "sloppy" in neutral, like a lot of lateral movement with no tension? If so check the shift coupling to make sure the tension spring is in place. Under the rear seat, you will see an oval-shaped panel held on by a screw. Remove this screw and the panel and take a look inside- you will see the sort of u-joint coupling where the shift rod coming out of the transmission case attaches to the shift rod that goes up to the front of the car. On the left (driver's) side of this coupling there is supposed to be a spring. It hooks on one end to a tab on the transmission tunnel under the coupling, and the other end hooks into the hole on the flat end of the connecting bolt that runs through the coupling. #18 in the picture here:

If you don't have that spring in place your gear shifter can feel very sloppy especially in neutral, and it could cause the shifting issue you are having as well. That spring provides tension on the shift rod to the front of the car to keep it properly positioned (in neutral the gear lever should actually look like it is leaning to the right--passenger side-- just a bit, that spring holds it in this position.)

The other thing that might cause this issue is a worn or broken shift rod bushing (also mentioned above) but I would check the other two items first as they are WAY easier to replace.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Any updates from OP or anyone else in this thread? Question

1600 SP engine
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Vacation, but we timed it 5* before top dead center instead of after. Hopefully the fix will work. I also got a servo for 75$
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Since you're running a later DVDA distributor, do me a favor, remove the green vacuum retard line from distributor vacuum canister to carburetor, and plug or cap the port on the carburetor (leave the one on the vacuum can open)
Retime to 7.5° BEFORE top dead center, see if that fixes it.
If it does chances are you have a bad vacuum canister on your distributor.

1600 SP engine
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Since you're running a later DVDA distributor, do me a favor, remove the green vacuum retard line from distributor vacuum canister to carburetor, and plug or cap the port on the carburetor (leave the one on the vacuum can open)

The entire dist was rebuilt by bill Fowler. I am certain it’s not the vacuum canister
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The entire dist was rebuilt by bill Fowler. I am certain it’s not the vacuum canister

Aah. OK then. However that ALSO means it shouldn't need timing adjusted to something other than factory spec.

1600 SP engine
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Yes, bill told me all the specs. We just timed it the wrong way. I tired to retime it but my car ran out of gas. When I get home. I have a new servo to put in. And a retime.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Yes, bill told me all the specs. We just timed it the wrong way. I tired to retime it but my car ran out of gas. When I get home. I have a new servo to put in. And a retime.

Sorry I misread your post above, I thought it said you were going to time it at 5° BEFORE top dead center when you got back home.
Yes it should be timed at 5° AFTER top dead center. Good luck keep us posted

1600 SP engine
Jeff Nagle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

I had the same problem in my auto trans bug. Drove me nuts. Then I found all it was is an in-line fuse on the right side of the dog-house. Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

I guess sshulk decided to sell his car. Confused

1600 SP engine
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

No no no, never. I’m on vacation man Laughing
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick not going into gear (video attached) Reply with quote

Car is working. I installed a new servo in and adjusted my engine, it’s got a little misfire so that’s for a new thread. I would like to thank everyone who helped me.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: