Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to part with the 02 Eurovan
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

After 7 years of owning our 02 EV, aptly named Oscar (as in The Grouch) it is time to let him go. He just rolled over 100,000 miles. The ongoing maintenance/repair costs are more than I want to continue to spend. To be fair, he has taken us all over Germany, Belgium, Poland, The Netherlands, France, Luxemburg, then, PA to TX and back to PA, then to SC and back to PA.

July 3rd I fly from Korea to Pennsylvania - finally time to be back with the rest of my family after two years away! (For the past year and a half I have at least been able to visit with my oldest son who is also currently living in Korea). I heard President Obama was so excited about my return that he is giving all Federal employees a paid holiday the next day.

My plan was to go VW camping over the weekend (Jim Thorpe?) to unwind from the plane ride and prepare to drive from Pennsylvania when we move back to Leavenworth, Kansas. Oscar was supposed to tow either the 91 Vanagon or my Doka, but he is in need of another $$$ infusion. We will get him fixed, then trade him in.

Then, after a year or so in Kansas, I plan to retire and move back to Pennsylvania. I don't mind spending my retirement checks on the Vanagons, but I do mind spending it on the EV.

The decision is what vehicle to buy to replace him. I want to do a 2.5 Suby in either the 90 or 91 Vanagon, but am having a difficult time convincing the wife that @$12,000 for an engine (and working A/C) it is a wise use of money.

Looking forward to linking back up with the Mo-Kan VW club!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT news re your return and future plans. Back on the ole sod has gotta be something to look forward to. The EV was nice(only one I've been in) but you have soooo many choices, I'm sure you'll find something you all like.

Welcome home and bet the family is excited re your plans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
... but am having a difficult time convincing the wife that @$12,000 for an engine (and working A/C) it is a wise use of money.

You shouldn't have to pay $12k for a subie 2.5L conver unless that's what all the eastern conver guys are sticking you for. More like $6k to $10k tops (incl. a/c if the hook-ups are already there) depending.

When you (or wife) think about spending money on a vanagon, think about value-added, think about the enjoyment/karma/function you'll have driving it, and think about the investment side as in usually no vehicle depreciation or even appreciation in value while you drive. Or .. you could buy a new or nearly new rig and watch $2k-$3k fly out the window in depreciation every year.

IMHO, the key to any conver is finding a good, sound donor engine to start.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished donating $500 to the VW dealership summer beach party to replace something to do with the ignition switch. Then, pulling out of the dealership, the brake and ESC light came on. Turned right around and took it back to the service center. They hooked it up to the diagnostic tool and replaced the brake light switch.

Looks like I will have to wait to unload the EV until I get to Kansas - just don't have enough time to car shop. Movers arrive in a week.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Just finished donating $500 to the VW dealership summer beach party to replace something to do with the ignition switch...

Do they let you hold on to your ankles when you're bent over for that?
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought...selling it in neighboring colorado will almost GUARANTEE a better sale price/interest verses pennsylvania.any outdoor oriented vehicle such as this is worth more in the western half,this i am sure of.
trying to give you a positive to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..finally settled in Kansas....and wouldn't you know...the check engine light was on again, this time accompanied by the airbag light. Ended up replacing the evaporator purge valve and the airbag clock spring. The Kansas City Northtowne VW Dealer should be able to throw a nice Halloween party with my $1000.

I'm going to contact VW customer service because I believe the airbag spring problem is directly related to the the PA dealer replacing the ignition switch - replacing the spring was over $550 of the current bill.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy that you are back in the States and settled in a new location, I'd be sad leaving all those hobbies behind but the time will fly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

We have an 02 VW also. Not an EV. It just never has any real issues. Aside from the free automatic transmission VW gave us at 58K and normal service (plus a few odds and ends that annoy but do not make the CEL illuminate) it has been fine. Knock on wood.

I think you got a turd.

Ditch it......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite its love of consuming vast amounts of $$$, I can't convince the wife to get rid of the EV. I went ahead and picked up a 09 Chevy Equinox AWD with 23,000 miles. Hopefully it will be kinder on the checkbook than the EV.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: EV godd o bad? Reply with quote

Feel free to kick me off the thread if this isn't related to your topic, but it sounds like you don't have a glowing review of the Eurovans in general?

My wife may soon need a new VW to help her art workshop business, currently she drives a tired and banged up 89 Wolfsburg; I am contemplating getting an EV tintop to for her (she travels often and likes the size of a van), I am curious about the Eurovans. Are they more of a money pit than a Vanagon? Relieble? how about the power of the engines, better gas mileage than a 2wd, manual T3?

I'm familiar with the vanagon, but clueless on the EV, stick with the devil I know?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EV godd o bad? Reply with quote

No experience with EVs but my general observation is that fairly new cars & vans are fairly reliable... old cars (and vans) can be made &/or kept reliable for modest $$$... but not-new yet not-old cars & vans can be difficult and expensive to keep on the road. The age and technology of EVs put them in the latter category.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman,

No, no glowing reviews for the EV from me. When we moved to Germany, I had planned to ship our 93 EV, but it was in VW dealership when it was time to ship it. As a result, my 91 Vanagon received the trip to the fatherland.

We bought the 02 EV in Germany (California emissions compliant) and have done nothing less than pour vast amounts of $$$ into him. Don't get me wrong, when he runs, he runs well and can get up and move out of it's own way. But, he gets dealership separation anxiety and he is way too dependent on the VW dealership money siphon.

Maybe someone else will provide some glowing reviews, just not this guy.

I'm planning on retiring in early 2014 and prefer to spend my retirement days driving and enjoying my Doka - really enjoyable after i convert it to an automatic transmission.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

So, since I started this thread in 2012, I thought I would follow up....I retired just about two years ago, and despite its love of consuming vast amounts of $$$ (on my new fixed income), I had not been able to convince my wife to part with her 2002 Eurovan - until just recently.

"Oscar" must have sensed that his days with the Byers family were coming to an end - and wasn't happy! First, we drove to Pittsburgh to trade him in on a 4WD truck, only to have the dealership tell us the truck was sold. On the way home, Oscar just quit running. He would crank and crank, but not fire up. Two AAA tows later, and van was at a VW dealership. The dealership diagnosed and replaced a bad fuel pump. After a large donation to the dealership Thanksgiving party, we drove the van home and parked it.

A week later, went to go for a drive and lo and behold, he would not start. Again same symptom; crank and crank, but no start. Tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor, which didn't solve the problem. Another tow back to the dealership - this time at their expense.

The van enjoyed Christmas, New Years, and most of January at the dealership. The new diagnosis was the keys had lost their programs and the van's immobilizer was working. The dealership reprogrammed both keys and the valet key. Picked it up Tuesday and all was well.

Wednesday, took the van to get a new PA inspection sticker. Absentmindedly, I left the key in the ignition, figuring that the inspector has to come out and verify mileage and VIN. Wouldn't you know it, the doors had apparently auto-locked themselves: and with all of the keys on the same key ring, they were safe and securely locked in the van. After numerous attempts, the garage was able to unlock the doors. The van promptly failed inspection, needing new inner tie rod end and a new muffler. Tired of dumping $$$, the wife finally agreed to let the van go.

This morning, I located a nice looking Pontiac Vibe at a dealership and made arrangements to look at it and use the van as a trade-in. Wouldn't you know it, as a final kick in the gut, the brake light came on, followed shortly by the check engine light deciding to make a glowing re-appearance! This van was certainly not winning any more family love. I managed to zero both codes and make it to the dealership with no further surprises.

A couple hours later, and we were down one more VW, replaced by a fourth Pontiac Vibe in the family.

Down to three VWs, and counting.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

sad to see another member of the EV family move on, but good on ya for loving it so long.
Very Happy
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

My 2002 EV has been a dream..driver, tow beast, camper. It's been to the dealer once...cam sensor failure under warranty.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

Not completely EV-less just yet. This coming spring, I'm going to pull our 93 EV out of storage (hibernating since 2003) and get her running.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

My brother in Oregon has an 03 weekender.

That thing travels and travels and travels....... With minimal, if any, downtime.
Alaska many times, SouthWest, SouthEast, NorthEast, Canada...... By he and his grown family borrowing it from him.

I think he'll clutch that key on his deathbed they love it so much.

This Summer when I was out there with my recently "refreshed" 86 Vanagon his wife did inquire about trading vehicles for a year and I can "refresh" their unit to like new status...... They would even drive to NJ to swap back....... I politely declined.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

Ours has 154,000 and so far, so good. It's a 95 rialta. We love it, but avoid dealerships like the plague.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Time to part with the 02 Eurovan Reply with quote

And, the 93 Eurovan found a new home this past weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: