Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Booster Inspection
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

I'm going to be replacing the brake master cylinder soon, wondering if anyone has advice on inspecting the brake booster while I am in the area, I haven't worked on one before... anything I should be looking for?

Symptoms: Random drop in pedal pressure, pumping the pedal brings it back up.

Photos below, any advice greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

If you have a Mityvac or similar tool you can draw a vacuum against the booster just like the engine would then hold the vacuum to check for a leak down, first do it at the engine connection to check your lines then at the booster. If vacuum holds I would pull the entire assembly out then just clean the booster prior to removing that nasty master cylinder from it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

That's been leaking heavily for a long time
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

That car is not being driven, right? If so, please stop.

You probably need both a new Master Cylinder and booster at this point
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like I will be replacing both. I just got this bus back on the road after 20 years earlier this summer. Still chasing down issues like this one.

Thanks for all the info.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:
Yeah, looks like I will be replacing both. I just got this bus back on the road after 20 years earlier this summer. Still chasing down issues like this one.

Thanks for all the info.

Send your current booster out to be rebuilt. It will be better than the new replacements available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Send your current booster out to be rebuilt. It will be better than the new replacements available.

Where would one send it for this rebuild, and how much?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

Just last week I sent mine here :

https://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/

I don't yet have an estimate or time frame, but I should be getting that within the next day or two. They've only had the booster three or 4 days so far.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Just last week I sent mine here :

https://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/

I don't yet have an estimate or time frame, but I should be getting that within the next day or two. They've only had the booster three or 4 days so far.

You sent your part to someone without a quote or time frame? Confused

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

Yes. Because:

1) Good luck finding anyplace else who will do it.

2) They were recommended by other Samba members

and

3) They don't know the extent of the repair until they pull it apart. This booster has had a .... difficult adventure.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Yes. Because:

and

3) They don't know the extent of the repair until they pull it apart. This booster has had a .... difficult adventure.

Since 1936

It’s in Indiana where people say what they mean, And mean what they say.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
andrewtf wrote:
Yes. Because:

and

Since 1936

It’s in Indiana where people say what they mean, And mean what they say.

Ha! After I scrolled down to the bottom of their webpage and saw their address in IN, I thought right away they were probably legit Laughing

Please keep us update on the repair of your booster Andrewtf. I need to get mine sent our for repairs as well.

Shocked

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

I thought I should follow up on my booster to keep helpful information in the thread.

A few posts above I gave the place I sent our booster to. Frankly it took a bit longer than he originally said because a family emergency cropped up, but if he had not told me of that, I would not have thought anything about it as it was a lag of a few days - not a few weeks.

He called me yesterday to get payment for the work and postage to send it back to me. When we initially talked, he could not give me any sort of real estimate as all he knew was that it didn't work and had been underwater for the better part of two days about 8 months prior. All he could tell me that is could be as high as $400 if everything inside was rusty mush. After reading the trouble others were having with aftermarket boosters, I wanted to get the original one repaired instead of trying to wrestle with another one.

Final cost ... $165.00 including shipping it back to me.

It arrived about half an hour ago. Looks practically brand new. We probably won't get it installed for a few days, but if it works half as good as it looks, we'll be stopping with ease. So far, this is a very satisfying experience (except for the removal and subsequent re-installation of the actual booster).
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Inspection Reply with quote

My booster looked the same as that. Booster was full of brake fluid. Funny thing is I got all the fluid out and put a new master cylinder on works great 10 years later still going.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: