Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Hightop in Nanaimo BC

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

I caught a glimpse of a bright yellow Westy with a white roof out in front of the house yesterday. I heard a diesel engine slow down and looked out the window to see a near clone of Doug's van stopped on the street checking out Dixie!!

The van took off as I was heading for the door...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

I’ve spotted 4 T3 Westin’s cruising Birmingham to Bristol to Oxford

Best was a blue Synchro Westy parked next to me North BRISTOL, Nada GratefulDead Bay Westy on the M4
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

I spotted this tin top from New Hampshire parked at one of our local beaches so I couldn’t resist parking next to it (it was hot and I was taking my dog to the beach for a swim.) We don’t see too many on island but summer time brings a small influx of vans. I always love seeing other vans on the road. There is no doubt that people who drive toyota siennas or Ford econolines aren’t waving to each other (nothing against either vehicle.) The brotherhood/sisterhood that Vw created with the birth of their vans is unparalleled and it makes me feel very proud and privileged to own a van and to be in the club.

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Blue Westy in Whittier, AK a couple of days ago when we were in town, I think it had AK plates. This time of year there is a good chance of seeing Vanagons cruising south central AK.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’ve spotted 4 T3 Westin’s cruising Birmingham to Bristol to Oxford

Best was a blue Synchro Westy parked next to me North BRISTOL, Nada GratefulDead Bay Westy on the M4

Update in UK cruising

T2 westies. 3

T3. Weeties. 5

T456. About 35
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

1100 miles from Seattle to San Luis Obispo. Saw only 2 Vanagon Westys. Some tintops, and sone Eurovans too. Probably cuz I had to drive I-5 most of the way.

The trip always starts... anticipating the beautiful backroads of our Western US but then we depart HOURS late due to all the snap chats that must be smilied etc. As if theres notime for smilie-ing the snapchats on the road? And on the parental end of trip death, we commit to hours of sitting in a house on someone’s couch “because we are passing by.” So there is no time for secondary highways. End result (as many times before) the ill-anticipated adventure becomes “a miserable I-5 slog.” We should know better.

But anyway thankfully that’s over and we’re camped on a beach now with a cuppa joe....

And honestly its usually me delaying departure with some last-minute wrenching....but this one time I was “done”.Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
... we commit to hours of sitting in a house on someone’s couch “because we are passing by.” So there is no time for secondary highways. End result (as many times before) the ill-anticipated adventure becomes “a miserable I-5 slog.” We should know better.

Reason enough to travel where you don't know anyone, as we generally do. Don't know if that makes us lucky or not, but our trips seem to be our own.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

The display vehicle for the trasharoo on amazon is a vanagon.

https://www.amazon.com/Trasharoo-Spare-Tire-Trash-Bag/dp/B01A7EOZ40/

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

After a mountain bike ride with friends a couple weeks back, we were having our post ride beverages when a Jefferson County employee walked by to comment on my friend's Westy. He said he was missing his as it "was in the shop, getting body work from an accident."

I said, "Is it white? Rear driver's side damage? Lift kit with Fox shocks?".
"Uhhh. Yeah."
Puzzled looks from everyone.

Turns out his rig was getting fixed next door to my shop. We share the same parking lot and I even parked next to the van a few times. I figured there couldn't be more than one or two Westys getting fixed for body damage at any one time.
It did appear for a few seconds that I was omnipotent of everything Vanagon though.

Many minutes of vanagon nerding out followed.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Aircooled Cousins in Brooklyn NY, both beach bound!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
The display vehicle for the trasharoo on amazon is a vanagon.

https://www.amazon.com/Trasharoo-Spare-Tire-Trash-Bag/dp/B01A7EOZ40/

Wait a minute!!! What kind of roof is that on the van - and what the hell are those little rectangles all over it?!?

They aren't the little airflow improvers - and its got a German plate...
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Those look like they could be sand ramps, or traction ramps, whatever you want to call em. You put them under the tires when stuck.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joethebeekeeper01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Sorry if this doesn't count!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Those look like they could be sand ramps, or traction ramps, whatever you want to call em. You put them under the tires when stuck.

Ah-ha! I hadn't seen that they were separate.
www.thebassspa.com
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Saw on NB I-805 near the merge in San Diego with a relieved and smiling owner in the passenger seat of the flat bed. Are you ok? Need any help? Cheers!
[/img]
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Friend of mine sent me this pic from Seward, AK.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Seen in Harrisonburg, VA on Saturday 8/18. Lookin' nice!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Vanagon sighting on a place mat.
Wife and I were in Huntington (wink) this weekend and had a meal at the Steamliner. Their place mats have a westy with neato matching trailer. The wife painted the van Titian red.

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

So whose sweet ride is this that we saw today at Monarch Pass in Colorado?

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Page 125 of 170

Jump to: