Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solid state voltage regulator benefits?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Hi folks....if I were to install a solid state VR on my ‘65 (6v) bug, what benefits can I expect to see? My current setup seems to be working fine, I’m just wondering how one of these might improve upon things.

Also, there is a $105 price difference in the one sold by CIP1 ($80) vs. WW ($185). Why?

Thanks.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Hi folks....if I were to install a solid state VR on my ‘65 (6v) bug, what benefits can I expect to see? My current setup seems to be working fine, I’m just wondering how one of these might improve upon things.

Also, there is a $105 price difference in the one sold by CIP1 ($80) vs. WW ($185). Why?

Thanks.

don't fix things that are not broken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

I bought my 65 111 "A"Sedan 50 years ago this month. Original engine, trans, generator and voltage regulator. Just drove it 25 miles this morning and it turned over 174,000. What better track record could you hope for???
It does what it was designed to do very well with what it came with originally.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Guess I got my answer....I’ll leave well enough alone. Thanks for the replies. Mine is also an original engine car....124,000 miles. I have no reason to believe the VR and generator aren’t orignal to the engine.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

I was going to give one a try last year when one of my Chinese ones went out. I've talked to a few running them and they're ok so far. The WW one looks like the early style and the CIP1 looks later style like a '66.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

FYI, Regulators are so east to take apart and rebuild.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

If it is not broke leave it alone. You asked ""Solid state voltage regulator benefits?"" No moving parts.
Rock auto has one for forty three bucks.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

43 bucks at Rockauto? I think you'd have to prove to me that a Standard VR218 is solid state, it sure looks like a points (electro-mechanical) regulator to me.

Anyway, while I swear by using 12V solid state regulators, not sure if I'd go that route on 6V as long as the existing setup is working OK. Now if it came time to replace a 6V regulator, yes, then I would jump to a SSR.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-903-801-C
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Yah, that's probably the link to what the original poster was talking about when he said:

Quote:

And here's the link to the other one:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113903801E

Also, this is not the first time this question has been asked, but I don't think it was ever answered.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694365

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Let me explain why I asked my original question. I’ve been making some upgrades to my 6v system to give it a little help in its old age....everything was “working”, but I was able to give it a boost with a few things. Here’s what I’ve done so far....

1) Replaced turn signal flasher with electronic flasher from WW
2) Added LED tail/brake lights and rear turn signals
3) Added horn relay
4) Replaced floor dimmer switch with ‘66 style dimmer button and relay
5) Replaced dead battery with Optima red top

So, that’s why I was wondering if I would get any more benefit from the solid state VR.

Thanks again.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Have you cleaned up all of the electrical connections? That alone on a 6v system will help a whole bunch. You could gain as much as a half of volt.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Have you cleaned up all of the electrical connections? That alone on a 6v system will help a whole bunch. You could gain as much as a half of volt.

Yep...probably not perfectly, but I think I did a good job. Like I said, everything was working ok, but had issues like the horn would not work with the lights on, signals were slow, brake lights did not come on instantly. I think some of these are "normal" for a properly working 6v system. My changes were just to introduce some modern technology into the stock systems. And it was important to me that all the changes were completely reversable.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

I found the electronic VR to be more stable and doing a better job in charging than the mechanical bosch one it replaced. The mech bosch one has a manual on how to adjust it. No manual needed for this.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Get rid of the voltage drops in the fuse box will help more.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

Anyone using the earlier bell shaped headlight switch also solder up the riveted connections of the headlight switch, and same can be done on exterior of the ignition switch.

http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

Yep...probably not perfectly, but I think I did a good job. Like I said, everything was working ok, but had issues like the horn would not work with the lights on, signals were slow, brake lights did not come on instantly. I think some of these are "normal" for a properly working 6v system. My changes were just to introduce some modern technology into the stock systems. And it was important to me that all the changes were completely reversible.

Many of us have had those problems you describe. I had problems with the horn and the turn signals with the lights on. The horn was a ground problem and easy to fix. With the turn signals it was the flasher unit, so just like repairing a voltage regulator you disassemble it and repair it. I took the flasher apart cleaned contacts and re-adjusted the timing devise and it's good as new. Remember many of the old parts are better than this new throw away stuff replacement parts.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
rcroane wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

Yep...probably not perfectly, but I think I did a good job. Like I said, everything was working ok, but had issues like the horn would not work with the lights on, signals were slow, brake lights did not come on instantly. I think some of these are "normal" for a properly working 6v system. My changes were just to introduce some modern technology into the stock systems. And it was important to me that all the changes were completely reversible.

Many of us have had those problems you describe. I had problems with the horn and the turn signals with the lights on. The horn was a ground problem and easy to fix. With the turn signals it was the flasher unit, so just like repairing a voltage regulator you disassemble it and repair it. I took the flasher apart cleaned contacts and re-adjusted the timing devise and it's good as new. Remember many of the old parts are better than this new throw away stuff replacement parts.

Thanks. I understand your point, but I was looking to improve on "good as new". I'm normally a "keep it stock" guy, but I made these changes primarily to improve the ability of other cars to see me better when turning, braking, driving at night, etc.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

Like at the head lights...remove both of them and turn on the headlights. measure the voltage. Now disconnect the battery, reclean and make all of the connections bright and shiny, all of the fuse block fuse holders connections, grounds etc. Reconnect battery and measure voltage again. Post results.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Thanks. I understand your point, but I was looking to improve on "good as new". I'm normally a "keep it stock" guy, but I made these changes primarily to improve the ability of other cars to see me better when turning, braking, driving at night, etc.

30 years ago I had the same goals. I ran a new, thicker wire from the regulator hot terminal to the dash, soldered all connections, and went to Bosch e-code halogen H4 headlamps. A lot of work, not much cost, but they are now bright and very visible, plus I can see down the road 100% better.

More recently, on my 12V car, I used LED bulbs for running, brake, and turn lights. Now my brake and signal lights are instant-on and bright. The bulbs aren't cheap, but especially for brake and turn lights, the brightness and instant-on are a great improvement over conventional bulbs, in terms of my visibility to other drivers.

Last year I DID replace my original 12V regulator from 1970, but not for performance; it started clicking, which is the warning it is near death. The solid state works fine, but as expected I am seeing no change in brightness in my lighting as a result.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state voltage regulator benefits? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
rcroane wrote:

30 years ago I had the same goals. I ran a new, thicker wire from the regulator hot terminal to the dash, soldered all connections, and went to Bosch e-code halogen H4 headlamps. A lot of work, not much cost, but they are now bright and very visible, plus I can see down the road 100% better.

More recently, on my 12V car, I used LED bulbs for running, brake, and turn lights. Now my brake and signal lights are instant-on and bright. The bulbs aren't cheap, but especially for brake and turn lights, the brightness and instant-on are a great improvement over conventional bulbs, in terms of my visibility to other drivers.

Last year I DID replace my original 12V regulator from 1970, but not for performance; it started clicking, which is the warning it is near death. The solid state works fine, but as expected I am seeing no change in brightness in my lighting as a result.

Thanks again for all the replies. If and when my VR shows signs of problems, I'll go the solid state route. Until then, I'll leave well enough alone since it seems I would not see any added benefit from switching now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: