Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Beam Tow Hook Question?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

Hi - my beam has what looks like a tow hook on the lower tube passenger side like the picture I found in the Gallery. Does anyone know what year beam this is and why some beams have a hook and other do not?

Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

A check of owners manual photos does not show or mention a tow hook until the 1971 113 models. 111 models didn't get one until '73, but it's a different style. So we can't be sure, at least by these photos.

VW put serial numbers on front axles at the right upright. It was thin paint, so be careful cleaning it if you look for the number.

1970:

1972:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

That hook is in the wrong place for an OEM hook ...it's too far to the left. So, I'm saying it was installed by a previous owner because he saw something similar on a newer bug, and figured it was a good idea to have one.
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

I have a 66 & it has the same hook in the same place. I was told it was to provide a spot to tie the car to the assembly line track. Would that make sense??
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses. Here's the stock replacement beam I bought for my 67 bug showing the hook.

Klroger - does this look like your beam?

Thanks

klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

yes, it does. Mine is a ball joint beam & original to the car as far as I know.. It's not lowered or anything & the hook seems to be original. I've had the car for ~ 30 years (in storage) so I have to say the hook is original equipment....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

Have you looked for the serial number (painted on the passenger shock tower, or stamped on the snubber arm) yet?

Then check it in this table:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

There are numbers on both ends of one beam tube but they are hard to read. It looks like one end is OH29876 and the other end is MRW/0H29876. I was told this was German beam but now I have doubts. There are no numbers on the shock tower. I have a snubber arm on my 57 but not on this beam. The tow hook definitely looks like it was originally part of the beam.

Thanks
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

So ...I went down to the storage shop and checked my cars: two 66's and a 65.
According to the chassis numbers, the one 66 is an early build (Aug-Sept 1965) and the other is a Jan 66 build (confirmed by birth certificate) ....and the 65 is also an Aug-Sept build. All of these vehicles are unmolested and have their original front beams. Neither one has a tow hook ....left, right, or center. Someone please call Columbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

Looking more carefully at the Samba table, it seems that the front axle numbers weren't tracked (at least, not here) after '65, and we know already yours is later, being ball joint. Sorry for the misdirection.

I am going to guess that some mid-late '60s beams came with the hook, and presume the manuals were not exactly right. We know VW re-used and airbrushed manual photos, and they isn't always 100% correct, since the manuals are often printed while the cars are in pre-production.

That style hook seems to be common, and I doubt multiple independent shops welded on identical hooks.

Since we know it's '66-up by virtue of the ball joints, when was the NEXT change that we might recognize, to narrow the span of that hook? Anyone know?

Last edited by KTPhil on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

My beam came from Kustom1 and I have been very please with their service. The link takes you to their web site and ironically enough, the beam picture shows the “hook.” If you scroll down on the page it states that: "This is a rebuilt front-end axle beam for VW Volkswagen standard Beetle 1966-1977 and Karmann Ghia (not Super Beetle). We prefer to use original OEM factory VW German beams…" At this point, I assume my beam is an OEM factory VW German beam from a 66-77 VW beetle. Well, the beam goes in this week and I’ll let you know how it works out.

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Balljoint_front_end_beams_for_VW_Volkswagen_Bug_p/balljointbeams.htm

Thanks
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front Beam Tow Hook Question? Reply with quote

My 66 has no hook whatsoever.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: