Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Shock and Vibration man, shock and vibration. The carry the full horsepower of the engine and feel torque in both directions each time you accelerate and/or lift/brake,
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

http://products.lelubricants.com/Asset/9919.pdf

That looks like some pretty fancy lube. No wonder your not tossing it out - not to mention the "ultra filtering" of the Sodo system Very Happy

Good to hear your back on the road and with a new sexy clutch plate as well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Shock and Vibration man, shock and vibration. The carry the full horsepower of the engine and feel torque in both directions each time you accelerate and/or lift/brake,
I gotta ask when pan is lit, Does that mean they need re-torquing throughout their life?

I took re-torque to mean the bolts stretch a hair or materials compress at first but then no more.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Probably grease oozing out. __I bet__ at 36 ft-lbs there’s enough remaining torque (bolt stretch) that you don’t need to put it back at 36.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Beauty Tom, Thanks.

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

A few words about a preloaded joint such a that one where the CVs bolt to the stub axle.

In a preloaded connection there is zero movement due to shock & vibration. Nor is there any added stress on the bolts in any condition. The bolts are 100% static. They feel no added stress whether you are parked or driving, accel or decel. Only if the forces exceed the preload is any movement possible (which it cannot, does not).

Same as connecting rod bolts, (if torqued to spec) they have the same tension parked or idling or at 4,000 RPM.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Yup. If the fastener is at torque and that torque is correct to create clamping forces between two metal parts that keep them from moving against the forces expected to try to move them, then all is well.

That's a good question on why the CV joints need retorquing. Here's a thought. Wonder if the CV bolts (or any bolt) once at torque have a slight "barber pole" twist in the fastener. Keeping the fastener from untwisting is the head on one end and the threads on the other. What if it is the threads that let loose (from vibration, thermal cycling) and the threaded end untwists to relieve the twisted bolt. That would reduce clamping pressure and bolt head torque.

What's interesting about that theory is that it would be better if the head end moved as there'd be no clamping pressure reduction. It's impossible, because the head end contact surface is larger in diameter, and takes more torque to move than the threads. But I digress. Which is the perfect thing to do to one of Tom's threads while he's unable to check in and busy driving.

So everybody check in and take this to a wacky, illogical conclusion so he's got something to do when he stops for gas, and some Cheetos.....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

So far as conclusions for Sodo's Cheeto Binge & Reading Adventure, Sodo, your van is actually a Dodge!

You nailed the source of my wonders, Doug.

It'd be interesting to mark the bolt heads and surrounding point at first torque . If torque lessened, but head marks were same, I'd suspect new-metal compression at first torque (seems unlikely...), but bolthead-to-first thread stretch more. One reason is while younger and hackier I broke plenty of Allen Heads if over torqued and always right at the head-thread area. Weakest point, and maybe weakened while stretching.

We used to mark Allen positions on various kart racing bits, like the aluminum wet clutch cover. The aluminum would settle in at first and cause oil seeps, but that clutch certainly got waaaay hotter than a CV.

So hence my ask. If loosening torque on hardware was a constant thing to micro-manage, my van would be at the head of a 50,000-mile trail of bits by now. Laughing

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Mrs Sodo is driving and he’s sitting in the back seat floggin his iPhone.

Yes the barber pole is a component, there has to be twist but does it go away? Does it untwist? It would untwist immediately if there was a needle bearing under the head.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Good to hear your rolling north. Kids at school and the vans back in shape. Another story for the folks back home who's lives are far less exciting. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

My 944 has a specific retorque required for the head after a head gasket replacement. I've always assumed it was due to the gasket compressing after a couple dozen heat cycles and possibly the "barber pole" effect of each fastener unwinding a % of the twist.

Axle/hub interfaces have always struck me as kind of odd ducks. I feel the CV bolts are too wimpy/stretchy/fragile on the Vanagon. And on my mighty LandCruisers (easily could put 10X the torque to one wheel) the critical equivalent bolts are these skinny bolts with weird tapered split washers. Cruiserheads are constantly overtorquing and snapping them. I dunno what is is with fastners in these areas but it seems like an automotive Achilles heel.

So Tom - how are the Cheetos? Crunch or normal?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

I'm considering insulating all our van panels with Cheetos so we'd survive a remote breakdown... Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Yes you could also eat the mice living off your insulation.

I don’t know about the untwisting. I’m certain a bolt will untwist in a looser connection if the two parts are separating but I don’t know about a preload situation. I can’t imagine how. Is there any movement at all once the movable items can no longer move? If the barber pole was untwisting then you could re-torque forever but that doesn’t happen, one or two re-torques and it will remain 36 ft-lbs forever.

Grease oozing out slowly (or when heated) or a compressible part such as a gasket will surely reduce bolt tension as will any reduction of the stackup.

Squeeze a cheetos in a vise sometime - oil drips out. Or use a couple for campfire starter, they’re fatbombs and burn like hell. At $4/lb - the price is same as chicken but close to zero food value. Think about that for a moment. To get chicken you start by getting animals to go out on a date. But cheetos come crappin’ out of a machine as fast as they can spray on the appropriate chemicals, bag, tag & take your money. No cheetos here (unless my girls snuck them in). In which case I’ld eat them all to teach them a lesson.

Speaking of food, from the perspective here in the back seat Mrs Sodo shifts the van like mixing brownies with a large wooden spoon.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Closest thing to Cheetos we buy are baby carrots. Cool

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Sitting in the back of the van, I’m supposed to be napping for my turn to drive. We’re a couple hours south of Bend, OR.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maintenance records.

The pilot bearing on a Subaru is a simple cartridge ball bearing. It was jerky so I pried the seal out. Inside was perfect and didn’t look “dry” but it was; almost like it was lubed with only oil (no grease), like the balls were rubbing on the cage. I packed it with CV grease and snapped the seal back in and it’s smooth as silk.

Didn’t have an alignment tool so used a socket extension and eyeball.

hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Glad you are well on your way! I would have liked to help out more on Saturday, but it was my wife and I's anniversary and a little voice told me I had better not spend it under someone else's van...

Hans
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Wow - nice to hear two legendary Samanistas got to swing a wrench together, no matter how short the time was.

On the bearing. I recently found a similar situation with an idler pulley on my 944 that seemed simply dry from age. I bought a clever little tool that looks like a hypodermic syringe with a tiny flattened snout strong enough to sneak under rubber seals in little bearings. I ordered an esoteric bearing from an old school bearing house back East and they had it on special. Since then, I have routinely used this to squirt grease under pressure under rubber seals of a lot of bearings.

I agree that a lot of little bearings like the pilot bearing you describe are readily refreshed and renewed. Good on you for having the guts to make the call it could be saved with a bit of fresh grease. Quailty grease matters and it probably had some really low grade stuff in there. Yours will last at least twice as long I'd wager...
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Shhhhh.....even Waldi’s trans wants my used oil. Wink

Not sure. Didnt seen it since 100k km Wink
Edit:
A thougt about the cv torque.
The numbers are for new bolts on clean area.
I always use my right arm torque feeling, screw them as hardo as possible.
never had to problems.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

?Waldio? wrote:
Dirtier transmission fluid helps the trans last longer, seems legit.

Haha, did your tranny last longer with clean oil ?

A friend is working as Chamical in the ZF factory.
They dont use filtering even on 50k € construction mashine tranys.
Every new designed tranny runs on a dyno a si mulated live.
Every particals under 0,5mm are ok.
Filtering is used only in trannys with electric valves.
If a r+p can last over 500k in a t3 box without filtering, it is more economical.
Bearings willl not last much longer with filtering. Especialy on stronger engines.
Filtering also dont save other parts from breaking.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
?Waldio? wrote:
Dirtier transmission fluid helps the trans last longer, seems legit.

Haha, did your tranny last longer with clean oil ?

A friend is working as Chamical in the ZF factory.
They dont use filtering even on 50k € construction mashine tranys.
Every new designed tranny runs on a dyno a si mulated live.
Every particals under 0,5mm are ok.
Filtering is used only in trannys with electric valves.
If a r+p can last over 500k in a t3 box without filtering, it is more economical.
Bearings willl not last much longer with filtering. Especialy on stronger engines.
Filtering also dont save other parts from breaking.

Waldi you are "off" by a factor of one million.
The recommended micron size for roller bearings in oil is 0,5 μm not 0,5mm
0,5mm = 500000μm (500,000 microns). A 500,000 microns particle makes a large dent in the bearing. Perhaps many dents as it circulates the transaxle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: