Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front beam torsion bushings
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

All,

What have you used for replacement front beam inner and outer trailing arm bushings for KING PIN front beams?

Seems that my inner bushings on my beam may be bad.

I bought some SAW bushings years ago. I had to still ream them for the arms.

Thanks
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

If I recall correctly the inner bushings for the king pin front end are a phenolic material and they had to be reamed anyway. They didn't have a bushing that didn't need to be fitted. There was a whole tool kit for the operation, snap bore gauges, adjustable reamers, slide hammers with special pullers etc etc.... I don't know where in the Hell you would find original bushings??? Much less the tool kit. Maybe just time for another beam.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Mutterranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

Go here.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-5144.html
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

Those look like something that goes into an aftermarket beam. They may work??? I don't know.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Mutterranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

They replace the old bearing and phenolic bushing. I have them in my ‘56 link pin beam. They’re far better than stock!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

The bushings in the link are for aftermarket beams. 2.0 x .120 wall. SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mutterranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

I don’t think so but maybe the link is for aftermarket beams. Mine has stock beams with red neoprene bushings and work GREAT, no squeaks if you grease them well. Red neoprene in the rear too. I did have to ream the rears out a bit, with a Dremel, before installation to get the right fit. They work much better than stock and can be fit fairly easily if they’re a bit snug.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

Multiple od bushings are available. Germans did not use 2.0 x .120.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

I like the stock bearings and bushings for street and mild offroad. The stock phenolic bushings have always needed to be reamed after they are pressed in, and are available from WW. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111401315

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

I ended up ordering some Delrin full length bushings from Kartek.

Regarding reaming the bushings, how does one maintain a straight bore without a jig?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion bushings Reply with quote

Make sure to use a very sharp reamer, a dull one will not cut through Delrin.
I have ream many Delrin bushing on off road racing beam cars. Never used a jig, just made sure reamer was straight.
I do use a large tap handle (19-20in long) to turn the ream. I also use a an adjuster reamer. Take your time and start out smaller then diameter of arm and work you way up for first bushing.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: