Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first engine removal........questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

A GOOD QUALITY dial caliper or even a vernier caliper will measure the deck height for less $$, and the caliper will be more handy in the future. Do not get the cheap digital calipers, they are junk.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
why is there not a gasket between the head and the jugs?
But there is one between the engine case, and the jugs

Eric explained this, but I also found a quick video on it as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7JFGUNOcI&t=269s
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

Have you tried a WWW search for such?? Add "VW" and a space before the part number with no spaces in it. Leave out the letter designation at the end.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have you tried a WWW search for such?? Add "VW" and a space before the part number with no spaces in it. Leave out the letter designation at the end.

I have since removed that post. I did that as well and found a set of 4 of them on ebay. I'm set.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

slowly proceeding....

Tonight I started with cylinder 3 and 4. Removed both, labeled them accordingly so I knew where they belong. Lapped both cylinders. Now the cylinders are ready for the sealant. Before I start that, I came back inside to create a "order of assembly" checklist by watching the bug me video, as well as using the muir book. So I will head back out tomorrow night with my checklist and hopefully have 3/4 head back in place.

I used an old alternator bracket to use as a ring compressor. Little bending here and there and cutting to make the right diameter and I was set. It works really well, but you definitely have to take your time when tapping the cylinder over the rings. I tried it to see how hard it would be. The next attempt will be when the sealant is on the cylinder. The sealant instructions say to way one hour before torquing in to place. I hope I can get both cylinders in place, and head in place once that 1 hour time comes along. Does anyone know how much longer past the one hour I can go before I have to redo the seal? So I will do this tomorrow night.

As for the air deflectors that go on the head. I have two, one is more curved than the other. Does it matter which head gets the more curved deflector? Here is a picture of the deflectors I have. Hopefully you can see the dramatic difference in curvage. (Is curvage even a word? Razz )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

Those in head deflectors need to be flat, except for the "legs" that lock into the head fins.

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

What causes them to curl? Heat/age?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
What causes them to curl? Heat/age?

Probably someones extraction method requires improvement.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

hammer back flat and we should be good to go. right?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
hammer back flat and we should be good to go. right?

Yes, but go easy, and not deform them more.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

can these little deflectors go on at any time, or should they go on before sliding head in to place?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
can these little deflectors go on at any time, or should they go on before sliding head in to place?

As long as you can get to the underside of the heads, you can install them.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

Ya I believe I can. the engine is still on the stand. I will have the larger deflectors in place as I slide everything in to place once the sealer is on. I'll do the little ones after.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

For the deflector tin going on the right head, make sure you position the tin correctly so that the rod for the thermostat can pass through the cutout. If you install it the wrong way, the rod will never line up with the thermostat down below!

Here's a shot for reference from the gallery. Note the thermostat rod coming out of the cutout.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

when watching the bug me videos, I notice the guy puts permatex on certain gaskets, but not all. When he installs the fuel pump, he leaves permatex off. Is there any harm by using it in this location?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
when watching the bug me videos, I notice the guy puts permatex on certain gaskets, but not all. When he installs the fuel pump, he leaves permatex off. Is there any harm by using it in this location?

Just not needed there and if you have to pull the pump it is glued to the gasket.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

moving on.....

I'm finding now that I am reassembling the engine, I have a random mix of washers, and parts of the like that were installed from the PO's. NOw that I am trying to make it right. Here are my questions.

1. Fuel pump - found diagrams that show that it gets installed with M8 SPRING WASHERS, followed by the M8 nuts. Can anyone confirm that spring washer I mentioned?

2. Distributor Bracket - I have the bracket and the nut to secure it in place. Should there be a washer in between the bracket and the nut?

3. Oil Cooler - I have looked at a number of diagrams, and videos and I am getting a few conflicting directions fin regards to the cooler that I actually have. In the picture below, You'll see the oil cooler/the base it will sit on. The base has since been cleaned. The base is just for reference. I think I have determined which seals I should be using. My concern is in regards to the "Washers" that go underneath the cooler. Can someone please confirm that I do need these washers under the cooler? When I look at the oil cooler diagram (shown below), you will see that the parts/pieces that are needed are very minimal.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

1. Yes.

2. Yes, prefer the non-split washers for both.

3. No, washers between the cooler and case. Unless you are running a 10 to 8 mm passage cooler to engine passages or visa versa, that require the tapered adapter seals.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

Here is a copy in the Waybackmachine internet archive of the oldvolkshome web site that is now gone (RIP Jim):

https://web.archive.org/web/20180207150445/http://oldvolkshome.com/

Do take the time to read thru the links on that page. Last one is most pertinent for you at this time.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions Reply with quote

in the oil cooler diagram, washer #4. what kind of washer is that? I assume this is the washer that goes in between the nut, and the case
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 25

Jump to: