Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oreillys Alternator PNW
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

I am in Oregon and am thinking of buying an alternator from O'reilly's. Just looking for recent feed back as to the quality of the rebuilds they sell. The parts man at the local O'Reillys says their unit is a 55 amp internally regulated unit. Any reason to be buying anything larger? Have lived quite happily with the stock 38 amp generator, so I wouldn't think I would need anything bigger.

Will the stock generator pulley swap over to the alternator without problems? Or should I be buying something else?

Thanks
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

A 38 amp pulley would not work on the alternator, nor will the fan spacer for the 38. Also, have had second hand experience with the O'reilly builds and am not a fan of them. The duralast ones from Autozone are a bit better.

38 amp is fine for a daily driver with a decent sound system. Any larger is just whatever really, unless you have 8 aux halogen head lights.

I'd 100% stick with 38 amp generators. I've had one in the same time period that I had 3 alternators. I have some complete 38 amp kits if you need one.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

As above plus you will need alt. stand and a new fuel pump for alt. as they are angled. NAPA rebuilds are good w/lifetime replacement.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

To throw in another question here, what is the advantage one way or the other of Bosch units verses Motorola units?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
As above plus you will need alt. stand and a new fuel pump for alt. as they are angled. NAPA rebuilds are good w/lifetime replacement.

Also a different length pump pushrod is required.

Bug On.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Why even bother going alt?

The Herrera Brothers can rebuild your Bosch generator locally.
http://www.iandgautoelectric.com/
From the feedback that I have read they are some of the best around.
It never hurts to call them and see if they can handle your rebuild.
Surely this is a better choice than settling for a AutoZone unknown component.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Bosch v Motorola, do they have Motorolas in stock? I haven't seen one in a long time. Beware of the bosch names
AL82 is the alternator
AL82N is a new bosch, made in mexico
AL82NC is a new alternator made in china.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

get the new china unit it's cheeper and better and last longer too
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

If you have time to wait I would get your generator repaired and look for spare and get it rebuilt also . Maybe get a spare voltage regulator . Wern't the 38 amp generators on 1971 buses .
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Get the original generator rebuilt, then install a new solid state voltage regulator.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Wern't the 38 amp generators on 1971 buses .

68-70 buses. Special model bugs got them, can't confirm which ones though.

Q-Dog wrote:
Get the original generator rebuilt, then install a new solid state voltage regulator.

Unfortunately no one makes 38 SS regulators. You can use a 30 amp regulator with a 38 amp generator, but really no point in having a 38a gen after that.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Well it looks like new Bosch 30amp generators are available. Thoughts on the quality of a new Bosch?

Anyone know how to tell if a regulator is 30 amp or 38 amp? I would call the regulator I have semi electronic, it has the two coils and points but has some electronic stuff in there as well that seems to shuts down the field current when the unit senses that the brushes are worn.
wmp100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

I got a 55 amp alternator from Oreilly's a couple years ago and it still works great. I got a lifetime warranty with it too so if it ever blows I can get a new one. Think I paid like 60 bucks for the unit and the warranty. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Look on the side, this is a 38 amp. You more than likely have a 30 amp one
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

I ended up just buying a new Bosch generator and regulator. Didn't see much negative about them in a search, so hopefully they will be as good as the originals.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oreillys Alternator PNW Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
vwoldbug wrote:
Wern't the 38 amp generators on 1971 buses .

68-70 buses. Special model bugs got them, can't confirm which ones though.

Q-Dog wrote:

Unfortunately no one makes 38 SS regulators. You can use a 30 amp regulator with a 38 amp generator, but really no point in having a 38a gen after that.

Well, the Bosch 9190040099E SSR doesn't even have a listed amperage output on them (the 9190040099U SSR does say 30A though)

It was actually for 1969 that the 38 amp generator appeared on bus models.

And German made Bugs never used the GR17. Some of the GR26 generators list 38A on them but considering their tiny size compared to the GR17 I always kind of doubted that was really their capacity.

Anyhow, even back when I had an amp on the stereo in my Baja Bug, I never had a problem with the stock 30 amp generator not being able to keep up. That was in the era before the better, modern solid state regulators.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: