Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Tasks on the horizon;
1. Remove and restore fuel tank and components.
thanks to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html
2. R&R lower heater ducting
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7449393#7449393
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6942549#6942549
3. Replace battery tray
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
4. R&R windshield
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5541791#5541791
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7211846&highlight=#7211846
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_0Qbhjfa8&feature=youtu.be
5. Finish engine
Tom Wilson book
http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-air-Coole...amp;sr=1-1
6. Field tips and direction with repairs!
Amskeptic
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_id=usertopics&user=2768

Tech Tips

Good luck
Tcash
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash! I already bought the engine book. I buy a Bently for every VW I have, or have owned and sold. The book always goes with the car. Ive bought 32 Bently's so far!

As for the engine, Ill be running dual carbs. Whoever pulled the engine in 82' took all the fuel injection stuff with it. I deal with carbs on a daily basis with all the motorcycles I build and work on so Im quite keen on keeping them alive and well.

Im hoping with the new windshield install, I can salvage and reinstall the patina window trim!

I think the head ducting is all there and sealed up? I dont think I need a replacement, but more of a refurbish and cleaning is all. Ill take a picture tonight when Im home. See how much OEM stuff is still there after being in the woods for so long...
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

So I picked these up for 30$ and I really want to get them apart, cleaned, fixed and painted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

TCash, here is that photo of the ducting. I have a feeling that there will be some bad mice garbage in it, but can't find any holes chewed. Seems to me wherever it was sitting didn't see a lot of extreme weather or sitting moisture?

Rear Y

Front Y

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Looks clean underneath. Remove the clamps and carefully work some wd40 in between the hose and pipe until it is free.
Good luck
Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Remove that ducting. Wear a good quality mask, then take it to the side yard and thoroughly hose that stuff out- wash away half a lifetime of dust of questionable nature, bad odors, etc. Ya might even think about sourcing new, fresh ducting.

Reinstall with insulating wrap all around the outside of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Remove that ducting. Wear a good quality mask, then take it to the side yard and thoroughly hose that stuff out- wash away half a lifetime of dust of questionable nature, bad odors, etc. Ya might even think about sourcing new, fresh ducting.

Reinstall with insulating wrap all around the outside of it.

So its not recommended trying to refurbish the OEM stuff? Or is this one of those "once its off, its pretty much destroyed" kind of fixes? Tcash linked me to a couple really smart fixes and I was hoping to salvage as much as I could, but being new to this Im not sure what Im going to run into.

Is it fiberglass or asbestos material? lol I have goats and dont want to murder them by accident, they eat EVERYTHING.
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
some bad mice garbage

That's what you're trying to avoid by replacing it. Would you rather have an original german heat duct, or would rather contract Hanta Virus?

Wikipedia wrote:
Humans may become infected with hantaviruses through contact with rodent urine, saliva, or feces. Some strains of hantaviruses cause potentially fatal diseases in humans, such as hantavirus hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS) and hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS)—also known as hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome (HCPS)—[1] while others have not been associated with known human disease.[2] HPS (HCPS) is a "rare respiratory illness associated with the inhalation of aerosolized rodent excreta (urine and feces) contaminated by hantavirus particles."[1]

I say fuck a duct, get a new one, replace it while wearing a respirator, be happy and free with your peace of mind. lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

You can remove and reinstall the OE ducting provided it is good condition, but as secretsubmariner pointed out, you need to consider your health.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Ive been wearing a mask while cleaning up the innards. There have been MULTIPLE nests and a bunch of different animal poo's in the rig. Im thinking coon poo is the really big stuff. It lived a LONG life about 1/2 mile away from the guys barn at the end of his pasture.

I have an ungodly amount of dirt cocoon's attached to everything too...

Ive quarantined my shop vac to get all the poo's out. I got 2 new filters for it and a wet filter for when Im done. Clean it out with bleach and then wet vac some bleach solution through the vac to clean out the internals.

I have an odd square patch in the front middle of the roof with housing foam glued to the inside. Its like someone tried putting a vent in, decided against it, and patched the roof with a different roof, then left the headliner torn apart and glued egg crate foam to it? Ill get photos tonight after work. Could this have had a vent of some sort? Its about 12"x12".

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Inside looking up, and the outside fix. I think sealing it and leaving it is the fix for now. It doesnt seem to leak because all spring long with melting snow and rain, everything inside is dry.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Clean the seam and screws real good and Sikaflex everything.
Sikaflex self leveling
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex-10-1-fl-oz-Self-Leveling-Sealant-91065/202527281
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

[/quote]Check this out: http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Sites/Type4/Menu87.html

Start with AVP 1 tab and continue through AVP2. It should walk you through all the steps required. If memory serves, the only somewhat screwy thing is the order in which he puts the engine carrier on. Do it before you install the heat exchangers. [/quote]

Saving notes from thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=400
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Whatever happened to those bajas with the RAD graphics?

Those are SO bitchen!

Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Whatever happened to those bajas with the RAD graphics?

Those are SO bitchen!

Cool

Sold them to make some money for expensive parts. lol Neither had floors, 1 had an engine and I think the white one hit a boulder at one point and made a V of the pan and clip. I wish I could have kept one but none of these came with titles and my main focus was on the bus. ...years later and Im still waiting for life to ease up so I can start on it Rolling Eyes
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

I’d like to take care of my sliding door soon. It binds really bad and doesn’t fully shut. It closes right down to about a 6 inch gap and binds up really tight. The rear of the door won’t budge/rotate inward or outward where the U bracket attaches. I plan on following the door refresh sticky, but I’d like to ask anyone reading, where to source the best repop parts for the job.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

depends what the part is that is needed. If it is a hinge then get one from the classifieds and rebuild it, or from someone like The Busted Bus or BusCO.If it is a rusty part, maybe just taking it apart and cleaning it might work. It it is sheet metal that is rusted away and the door is falling into a hole then you will need sheet metal. If Try to use one of the fiches to locate the part number then do a search for it, or if you can't find it in the fiche, or ETKA then post a photo of what you are looking for to fix it. Good luck.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

So in addition to sorting the slider door, I’d like to clean up my headliner. It’s in a sad state of affairs.

When I start removing this mess, what should I be looking to keep or salvage? I don’t think the material is anything of worth, especially with tears down both sides and the enormous hole in the middle… but along with brackets or the little spanner poles(?) holding the liner up, any tips on what to look for?

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Forgotten farm finds and my brand new-to-me 76' bay! Free Reply with quote

It’s been a while! Moves, 2 kids, finishing an 80 rabbit, some vintage motorcycles, and trying to learn more about the type 4 engines has finally brought me back!

I was given this dual carb setup in a box full of stuff. Is it worth rebuilding these? As of right now I’m trying to budget build, there is no FI left in the bus, and I’m wanting to get this running before upgrading as I go. It’s a 2.0 oval port if that matters.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: