Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stick as theft deterrent
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
3-2-1 locked

Another otherwise interesting discussion thread bites the dust. Oh well.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Back to original post yes I’d have to agree a standard shift transmission would discourage miscreants and amateurs however a real thief or someone looking for a specific type of automobile will be able to take said car regardless of minor distractions like stick shift. There was a time in Southern California when stealing VWs was quite popular and it’s a stretch to think thieves were smarter then than they are now Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Back to original post yes I’d have to agree a standard shift transmission would discourage miscreants and amateurs however a real thief or someone looking for a specific type of automobile will be able to take said car regardless of minor distractions like stick shift. There was a time in Southern California when stealing VWs was quite popular and it’s a stretch to think thieves were smarter then than they are now Very Happy

They weren't any smarter back then, but they had the experience of finding reverse in an old VW. Now, they have the experience of navigating a smart phone and where to score meth.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Drugs were around back then too, times change people don’t.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Drugs were around back then too, times change people don’t.

Automobile transmissions change, too. If all you know are automatic Honda's, a three-on-the-tree 65 Ford is a near impossible task.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

I'd imagine the folks that would still steal old VW's, know how to drive them. but 60 year olds usually have given up their life of crime, or are still in prison
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I'd imagine the folks that would still steal old VW's, know how to drive them. but 60 year olds usually have given up their life of crime, or are still in prison

Thank you, I was thinking something similar, but you expressed it much better.

Just for curiosity, I looked around & noticed that there is a Stolen VW corner of The Samba, in the Galleries. It appeared to be one of the less-frequented corners of the site...
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

A better theft deterrent than a stick is a stick that locks. Gene Berg still sells them, but at $490 I can do without one. ---> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=621213

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Someone made a combination lock that replaced the button on the handbrake.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
A better theft deterrent than a stick is a stick that locks. Gene Berg still sells them, but at $490 I can do without one. ---> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=621213

Someone made a combination lock that replaced the button on the handbrake.

2 quick cuts with bolt cutters and car is ready to roll, I’ll cut from just under the back wheel easy to reach
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Know a guy that returned to his VW to find his locking shifter laying on the concrete where his bug had been, it had been drilled out, removed, obviously the thief had scoped the bug out and brought a replacement shifter. Buswas recovered a coupe weeks later minus everything that could be unbolted, glass was gone too.

The parking brake device is a waste of money, remove the "C" clip then knock the pin out, or just bring a 10mm and release the cables.

Yes three on the tree, even four on the tree would baffle a youngster today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Yes three on the tree, even four on the tree would baffle a youngster today.

Better yet, a good old fashioned crashbox. Wink
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

No kidding, even the standard transmission drivers today could not handle a sliding mesh transmission.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

The people who will steal an early VW already know their way around the car. Locking shifter or e-brake are not going to stop a thief. These fuckers are professionals.

The only way to secure your car is to remove the coil. But if they bring a tow truck, there you go.

You can install a shoe on a wheel and the fuckers can still take your car.

These thieves drive around w/ a van full of tools and people to drive your car away. People have no respect for other people's property anymore.

So back to square one -SIG! Take the car if you must. But if I am close by and I see it - the asshole will be a poster child for body-piercing. I spend my money putting lead down range. NOT on locking shifters.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Is your mama around? You need to have your mouth washed out with soap!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Im sorry. Am I not politically correct? Should I say 'gentlemen' or victims of society to refer to the thieves?

I have been called for jury duty several times but have never been selected.
My compassion for criminals is nil.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Im sorry. Am I not politically correct? Should I say 'gentlemen' or victims of society to refer to the thieves?

I have been called for jury duty several times but have never been selected.
My compassion for criminals is nil.

X2 I cut no slack for thieves and after serving in the Navy we view profanity as a medium. Some work with paint some are sculpturer’s and some weave colorful stories using expletives. A lesser known Shakespeare quote “ This shit writes itself”. 😀
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Is your mama around? You need to have your mouth washed out with soap!

x2

See what I mean? The hotheadedness is self evident even in the way these guys post.
Is that really who we want brandishing firearms??

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

See what I mean? The hotheadedness is self evident even in the way these guys post.

No one has "brandished" anything sparky. Rolling Eyes Time for you to go back to your campus police Sgt & have him 'splain the term for you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
sb001 wrote:

No one has "brandished" anything sparky. Rolling Eyes Time for you to go back to your campus police Sgt & have him 'splain the term for you.

It's funny how you're the only one on here picky enough to contemplate whether I used the term "brandishing" in a satisfactory manner. Which just emphasizes my previous post.
I already put you in your place once, by proving you just want to get your rocks off BRANDISHING your weapon and shooting off rounds with regard for jack shit, don't make me do it again.

Oh and hey, I'm fixing to drive my fatal exhaust leak bug on an hour and a half trip to the VW show this weekend, and then back again. I'll be sure to fill you in on the near death experience I'm sure to have.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

The only thing that you’ve done is repeatedly exhibited your delusional & unhinged nature.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: