Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

1974 Karmann Ghia Autostick

I bought this car in July. Body is very good for an Iowa car. It seemed fairly original... but I'm finding some aftermarket crap as I'm sorting through it. The engine is a 74 serial number.

Background... It wouldn't run the day we came to pick it up... the PO gave us 1K off. I figured it was bad gas from sitting, but found the Brazilian gas tank was rusty inside... replaced that and all the fuel lines, fuel pump, bought the correct carb from Volkzbitz and the correct SVDA Autostick distributer.

The problem... when I went to adjust the valves I could not get the .006 feeler gauge to slide between the rocker and the valve on the #2 and #3 exhaust valves. I couldn't get any gauge between, no matter how far out I adjusted the screw.

It had some crap EMPI bolt on valve covers that leaked like a sieve (replaced with original). I thought maybe they had somehow screwed the studs out, but when I tried to double-nut tighten them they seemed fine. I checked the four head bolts that can be seen. All seemed a tad below torque specs, but this still didn't change the lack of clearance. The two valves aren't sticking out any farther than the intakes next to them. There was no o-ring below the rocker, but I don't know if this would really affect anything. Something I did notice is that the valve retainers on these two valves had marking/damage (see photos)

Wanting to get the car started I screwed out the adjusters on the two valves thinking maybe they were just sticking. I got the car started (took a bit to get fuel from the tank) adjusted dwell, timing, carb. I've drove the car about 20 miles, and it seems to be running good... good power.

Clearly the rocker is hitting the valve retainer... any thoughts as two why?

Anyone recognize the markings on the head (brand)? I probably need a photo of the rockers. They look stock to me.

One thing I haven't done is a compression check, but would this indicate anything if it seems to be running good?

THANKS

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Beautiful car. If you have the adjusters so far backed out to where the rocker arm is hitting the retainer, you need to study the valve adjusting procedure again. I'm guessing that particular valve wasn't on it's seat when it was adjusted
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Hard to tell without a side pic of those valve springs,but that exhaust valve looks like it's sticking up further than the rest,can you lay a straight edge along the tops of all four and report back?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

X2, it looks like a dropped seat or badly stretched valve. Either way, it looks like some head work is due. Do not try to run it like this, catastrophic failure is pending.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Exhaust Valves not able to be adjusted.......

Step #1
Park the Ghia!

As mentioned all valve stems SHOULD sit about the same above the head.

Why do yours not? Why?

Well, MAYBE........
during a head recondition an inexperienced but well meaning person with a valve seat grinder got carried away refacing the seats and took way too much material off.
OR
During use the seats have been burned and pounded recessing them into the head.
OR
Those same seats broke during use and were pushed out the exhaust. (Unlikely)
OR
The exhaust valves being subject to extreme heat have stretched making the valve stem longer. This stretched portion is now stressed and thinner. This stretching most often happens in the area that the valve head is welded to the stem. THIS IS YOUR MOST LIKELY SCENARIO

Why is this a problem? If you continue to run this engine as is the valves being unable to fully sit upon the valve seat (held open by the tight rockers) cannot rotate as designed and also they cannot cool.
As a bonus they also don't fully seal which allows hot gases to leak by them.
As a result the edges of the valves will actually melt away, something called "burned valves".
The valve seat in the head can also be severely damaged by this leakage.
Plus the over heated valve head can actually break of and fall on top if the rapidly moving piston destroying the piston and head for sure, possiblly the cylinder and the rod ...... and in extreme instances the case and crankshaft.

What to do about it?
Minimum, pull the engine, pull the heads and see what is going on. Make needed repairs....... aka a Valve Job.
Many, while the heads are off will also install new rings along with doing a valve job.
Some will opt to go farther, split the case and rebuild the entire engine.

But as mentioned........ STOP DRIVING THE CAR NOW.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

The valve seat in the head can also be severely damaged by this leakage.
Plus the over heated valve head can actually break of and fall on top if the rapidly moving piston destroying the piston and head for sure, possiblly the cylinder and the rod ...... and in extreme instances the case and crankshaft.

But as mentioned........ STOP DRIVING THE CAR NOW.

Dave

Like this Crying or Very sad
Two different engines that came my way after the worst result of valve failure,a Type 1 and a Type4...one was so bad it obliterated the piston and sent the connecting rod swinging free until it chopped the camshaft in half and eventually punched a hole trough the top of the case and bent over on itself..

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

BigSky wrote:
1974 Karmann Ghia Autostick

I bought this car in July. Body is very good for an Iowa car. It seemed fairly original... but I'm finding some aftermarket crap as I'm sorting through it. The engine is a 74 serial number.

Onceler wrote:
Beautiful car. If you have the adjusters so far backed out to where the rocker arm is hitting the retainer, you need to study the valve adjusting procedure again. I'm guessing that particular valve wasn't on it's seat when it was adjusted

X2 on the Beautiful car!

If the body really is as clean as it appears in the one photo, then it is indeed "very good for an Iowa car".
Very good!
Consider yourself lucky, despite the unfortunate engine trouble.

I'm certain you're disappointed, and are eager to drive and enjoy that beautiful Ghia while the weather is still nice.
On the bright side, though, the seller did discount the selling price by $1k.
Use that money to fix it right and make it last for another 44 years.

... and please share some more photos of your wonderful find.
BigSky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
it looks like a dropped seat or badly stretched valve. Either way, it looks like some head work is due

This is kind of what I was thinking, but just needed some confirmation.

Onceler wrote:
If you have the adjusters so far backed out to where the rocker arm is hitting the retainer, you need to study the valve adjusting procedure again. I'm guessing that particular valve wasn't on it's seat when it was adjusted

I'm fairly confident I was doing the procedure correct... it's been about 12 years since I've done it, but I've had a a couple of Beetles and a Bus. The bus was my daily driver for about 10 years. I noticed the damage before I even adjusted. I had the rockers loose to replace the nuts that were part of the Empi bolt on valve covers. My thought/hope was that maybe the valve was just sticking, so if I backed them out thinking they might loosen up. When I rechecked after driving maybe 15 miles (always let it cool overnight) there was still no clearance. I haven't drove it since.

djkeev wrote:
But as mentioned........ STOP DRIVING THE CAR NOW

Got it. Oh well. I was actually thinking about removing the engine over the winter anyways to replace the Autostick hoses and fix some oil leaks (weird two piece pushrod tubes and something up front... I'm guessing rear main seal or oil cooler).

I figured out these are Auto Linea heads, so some work has been done to it at some point. The serial number on the case is a 74 serial number, so I don't really want to risk damaging that. I'd like to replace the heads with something better. Any suggestions?

My wife actually found the car. I've always liked Ghias, but was/am maybe more of a Bus person. This fits better in the garage though, and at this point in life is maybe more practical. Got lots of thumbs up and turning heads in the short time I drove it. My aircooled obsession is definitely back in full gear.

Thanks all for the advice and comments. I posted some other photos in the "post your Ghia photos" Sticky
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Well if those 2 valves were adjusted with their associated Pistons at TDC, then yeah they have failed.
I've had pretty good luck with the chinese heads, even ran 12lbs. Of boost through a set. However, I haven't racked up too many miles on them, to see how durable they are, however, the price is right.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No clearance #2 and #3 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Consider Mofoco heads. Castings are poured in Manitowoc, Wi and machined in Milwaukee.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: