Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Niece and Husband want a Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
sanchius wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is it just me... or does the gal in that photo look like she is thinking wistfully of the Westy they didn't get and wondering how her life would have been different if they had?

Ha ha, I was thinking similar things!

"Boy, this chebby is lame."

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

Shes never going to be instagram famous with #vanlife at this rate.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Shes never going to be instagram famous with #vanlife at this rate.

No yoga and too many clothes.

I have no problem with a poptop Astro, or with any other stock footprint van-based camper. More power (literally) to anybody building one.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

buying a Vanagon to drive west and immediately sell seems rather, um, not a wise expenditure...

i'm looking to buy a Vanagon and have spent the better part of 4 months digging thru threads, looking at classifieds, going out and looking and test driving and i'm still not sure i should buy one.

i think your niece and her husband are voicing a dream idea that is no way grounded in the harshness of reality.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

Here is a recent article from the Denver Post on local camper van rentals.
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/08/03/colorado-van-life-camper-rentals/191451/

Here is another that I only know about because they are close to my shop.
https://www.campervannorthamerica.com/location_denver.shtml

Haven't used any of them so this isn't a recommendation. Just more info.
I didn't realize there were so many rental companies until a friend cut out that article for me.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

So here's the thing.

I'm sure we've all read various VW travel stories, book and such. What's the common thread in all these stories?

Break downs. Right but along side that is the revelation that the break down only added to the thrill and excitement of the journey.

When I was a younger man, I made a bad deal with a curb side'r and was really down on myself for being so dumb.
My dad looked at me and said, "Owen, if this is ONLY bad decision you ever make in your life, you'll be doing well. Let it go, move forward and learn."

Maybe, the Niece isn't concerned about the wisdom of the choice or the financial practicality of it all.
Maybe, just maybe, they want to LIVE a little.

Remember, as everyone on this site, especially this site, knows. Its not the destination, its the journey.

Let them have a journey. They're young (I'm making assumption here I know) they can make more money.

Good times ahead.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
buying a Vanagon to drive west and immediately sell seems rather, um, not a wise expenditure...

i'm looking to buy a Vanagon and have spent the better part of 4 months digging thru threads, looking at classifieds, going out and looking and test driving and i'm still not sure i should buy one.

i think your niece and her husband are voicing a dream idea that is no way grounded in the harshness of reality.

People today don't seem to realize that cars get old and unreliable. New cars are bought to get shinier paint and unworn upholstery, not because one's old car is on its last legs. Go back in time and this was an entirely different story. Given that the Vanagon is an anachronism to a time 5-10 years earlier than its date of manufacture it started out a bit worse on the dependability scale than other cars of the 80's. There is almost no American steel out there anymore from the period when these were being made excepting some pickup trucks and a few rat traps, most of the other stuff from this time period was long ago crushed and melted down to make soup cans and rebar.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

Anecdotally, I've observed that the majority of daily driven '80's era cars today are Mercedes, Volvos, F150s and of course a smattering of Vanagons. I don't think I would actively seek out or recommend them as a daily. They're all good rigs that have stood the test of time, but maintaining old stuff is a major PITA, as well as a hobby-level time suck.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
wpegden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Her parents are moving to Colorado Springs next week, hence the family gathering, and they would like to make a family camping trip out and fly back home selling their unit while out in Colorado.

If they are set on this idea they should just do the reverse.

Buy a van out west, do the camping trip ending in NJ. Worst case scenario they end up selling a "west coast" van on the east coast. This will cut their expected losses somewhat.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

There is certainly an element of luck in finding a reliable van at the right price but that obstacle can be overcome with cubic dollars that might not be available to most of us mere mortals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: