Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sierra.nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hello!

I own a 1980 Westfalia Vanagon L. Since it's Canadian, it's got a long bulky extension cord for shore power built in. We are in the process of installing new hookup boxes (from gowesty) and I am curious if anyone has ever converted this built in extension cord type to the "typical" hookup type (that requires an external cord). I haven't seen many posts relating to this but I assume it's pretty straight-forward electrical work.

Is there a reason Canadian Westys are like this? Does it have to do with getting it inspected or some other requirement? Any info on this topic would be great!

Peace!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

sierra.nickel wrote:
Hello!

I own a 1980 Westfalia Vanagon L. Since it's Canadian, it's got a long bulky extension cord for shore power built in. We are in the process of installing new hookup boxes (from gowesty) and I am curious if anyone has ever converted this built in extension cord type to the "typical" hookup type (that requires an external cord). I haven't seen many posts relating to this but I assume it's pretty straight-forward electrical work.

Is there a reason Canadian Westys are like this? Does it have to do with getting it inspected or some other requirement? Any info on this topic would be great!

Peace!

Greetings sierra nickel, glad you made it over to Samba. That other site has gone so downhill there is no recovery for them. Now....all the Canadian versions were manufactured like this and I think its most likely due to the codes.
I cant answer your question but there are many members who have most likely done this conversion. Hang in there for an answer OR give Go Westy a call. They are very user friendly and are happy to answer over the phone questions.
Welcome aboard the Samba.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

sierra.nickel wrote:
Hello!

Peace!

Convert the wiring over. It's likely best to fully inspect the wiring anyhow given the age of the Camper.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

I'Ve always viewed those hookups with the wire that you stuff in a hole as trouble waiting to happen.

You've got water infiltration, I've had bees think that this hole was the best thing ever! A great place to nest!

I'd dump that set up for the American version, it works so nicely and neatly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've done it. Freed up lots of space in the lower cabinet and works no problem.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
I've done it. Freed up lots of space in the lower cabinet and works no problem.

Same here. Easy to do.
sierra.nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone! Looking forward to getting that nasty wire out of my cupboard.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

on my Canadian 81 westy I just replaced the plug with a Home Depot sourced outdoor use type plug. I had to file a small amount off the shoulders of plug to allow it to fit back into the stock hole. It works fine, I've used it a lot. In hindsight, I should've cut the OEM wire shorter. As it stands I always use an extension cord anyway.

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

To revive this thread - I have a 1991 Vanagon Westy and have also recently purchased the replacement GW hookup boxes and have the same bulky cord coiled up in my lower shelf, sooooo....my question is - should I simply cut this cord and hardwire it to the new GW male plug//hook up box OR should I use new/standard residential copper (ala Home Depot) and run this from the new hookup box to the breaker box?? Thoughts/comments are welcomed, noting that I also appreciate the simpler US option of plugging in an extension cord of my choice when needed. Thx.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Another answer from Canada.

I just cut the heavy built in cord off leaving about 1 foot sticking out the hookup flap. Reconnected the inner end inside as original.

Now use an extension cord with a built in neon power indicator to show that there is indeed shore power getting to the van.

AND, I have driven away with the extension cord still attached. It simply disconnected safely and waited for me to stop. ( Only had to move the van 20 feet.)

Big improvement over the original Canadian version!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

How are people making the connection between the trimmed Canadian wire and the new go westy box?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:

I just cut the heavy built in cord off leaving about 1 foot sticking out the hookup flap. Reconnected the inner end inside as original.

Same.

It's been a long while since I did it, but I recall there were just screw terminals on the back of the new box. I think I just stripped the ends of the original shortened cord and connected them to the box. I'm about the worst electrician I know, and it was straight forward for me to figure out, so there's hope for anyone to do this successfully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Huh, looks like I am learning something new today... my rig is a 1986 Canadian Westy so I guess I have the Canadian shore power setup. Mine has a heavy cable that is stored inside the van, you go outside and attach it at the outside (female end of cable) and plug it in to the shore power source with a male end. I never knew this was not how all Westy Vanagons operated. How does the US version work, and why is it better?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Huh, looks like I am learning something new today... my rig is a 1986 Canadian Westy so I guess I have the Canadian shore power setup. Mine has a heavy cable that is stored inside the van, you go outside and attach it at the outside (female end of cable) and plug it in to the shore power source with a male end. I never knew this was not how all Westy Vanagons operated. How does the US version work, and why is it better?

The US version just has male plug ends under the flap of the hook-up box. You use an extension cord to go from the power source to the outside of the van. Really no vast difference, other than it opens up a bit of space in that cabinet where you store your built in cord. But then you still need to store the new separate cord somewhere too, so there's no net storage gain I guess. The only reason I (and I'd assume most others) changed out the stock cord is because the only new replacement boxes you can buy are the US version.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:

The US version just has male plug ends under the flap of the hook-up box. You use an extension cord to go from the power source to the outside of the van. Really no vast difference, other than it opens up a bit of space in that cabinet where you store your built in cord. But then you still need to store the new separate cord somewhere too, so there's no net storage gain I guess. The only reason I (and I'd assume most others) changed out the stock cord is because the only new replacement boxes you can buy are the US version.

Ah, perhaps the PO already made this upgrade then... under my flap is a male plug, and I have a seperate heavy-duty cord that I store under the bench seat. Thanks for the info!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Getting ready to change out our Canadian set up after this last trip. Such a PIA to pull/coil the extension cord from the inside.

I see GoWesty has their hook-up boxes on sale right now, great reason to upgrade to a removable cord (and lighted end idea is great spitsnrovers)

coqwesty wrote:
To revive this thread - I have a 1991 Vanagon Westy and have also recently purchased the replacement GW hookup boxes and have the same bulky cord coiled up in my lower shelf, sooooo....my question is - should I simply cut this cord and hardwire it to the new GW male plug//hook up box OR should I use new/standard residential copper (ala Home Depot) and run this from the new hookup box to the breaker box?? Thoughts/comments are welcomed, noting that I also appreciate the simpler US option of plugging in an extension cord of my choice when needed. Thx.

I’d stick with stranded wire for ANY wiring inside the vehicle and avoid the “house” solid copper wiring. No cone nuts either, crimp or solder w/heat shrink for your connections. A tad more time but a much better and safer connection for a moving/vibrating vehicle.
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
spitsnrovers wrote:

Same.

It's been a long while since I did it, but I recall there were just screw terminals on the back of the new box. I think I just stripped the ends of the original shortened cord and connected them to the box. I'm about the worst electrician I know, and it was straight forward for me to figure out, so there's hope for anyone to do this successfully.

i don't recall either, but I remember the connections on the hook up box were a bit awkward and I couldn't get a reliable connection with just a stripped wire.

I ended up using a modified crimp on ring terminal, as suggested by someone at the auto parts store.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

You need to be sure that your 110 ground lead is also attached to the chassis as well as the ground terminals of both interior outlets.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thx for the insights - I also sent a query to GW and they have echoed the forum consensus which appears to be to simply cut the existing cord and attach this to the plug end terminals on the new GW box....and buy a cool lit extension cord - really liking the Flexilla Pro. I will update when I complete the task and advise if any connection/electrical issues.
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Shore Power Cord - 1980 Westfalia Reply with quote

Do just like you'd do for your house. From the GW elec box I used ROMEX 10/2 but 12/2 would be fine. Get a newfangled * 20amp * GFCI and another outlet if ya want it. . All outlets must be downstream of the GFCI of course. Ground it good.

Get a power cord.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: