Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Split Window Tail Lights
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisonspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

I am looking for information on what the correct tail light configuration/lens style is for a US 65 split window. A picture would be really helpful including if there was a reverse light.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

65 taillights are pretty cheap and easy to find close to the same from 62 to 71 in appearance, no reverse light
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bisonspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Thank you. At some point backup lights were cut into the panel above the taillights. Not sure if I am going to correct that with the other body work yet or not, seems like a nice safety feature even though it is not original.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Pics of your bus would help, but do they look like this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bisonspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Yes, like the one on the left (the white bus). That is exactly what they look like.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a 65 and not a 67? Later 67s came like that. Or vin plate swapping going on. Do you have a picture of the dash or gas door? Both of those are also 67 only items
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Those are the late 67 style factory reverse lights. I'm think you could get them as an option earlier, but don't remember specifics, but I'm certain they have been added to many busses over the years.

Here is a thread on them from the FAQs, in case it helps:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315760
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

There were dealer installed back up light(s) as well. They used the speedo switch and a bosch or hella light mounted to the rear bumper.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyfromtherigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the tail lights on our 65 - not the best angle, but I had not intended to take a photo of the lights! Australian 65
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Split Window Tail Lights Reply with quote

Lind would know for sure- but why does it seem I remember the first year you could order reverse lights was in '65? That or I'm thinking of beetles. But yes, many were retro'd.

The deciding factors for me, in order: Were they optional for the year or do you have m-codes 047 or 616? And (more importantly from a voting standpoint) are the measurements for the cutouts exactly as a factory '67 would have them? A buddy has a loaded euro '66 dormy/westy that had a pair of the later backups- but they were cut in too closely to the taillights- so of course they had to go. You could spot them as being "off" from a 1/4 mile behind him. It hurt my eyes and in turn I told him I would not respect him or his bus until he fixed them.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: