Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

I can’t speak for your 1985 model, but I frequently turn on the rear heater blower and also the defrost up front when I see the temp needle approach the top of the LED. Lowers the temp quite a bit. With the front windows wide open to let out all that hot air at highway speeds, I can’t hear the kids complaining about their feet getting burned by the rear heater. Well played! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

check master and slave for leaks.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

When checking the oil on the go, you have to let the engine sit a while so that all the oil drains down. At least the time needed to fill the tank, go in and pay for the gas and some snacks and then come back and clean the windows all the way around. Then check the oil. I usually check the oil in the morning before I start the car, much easier.

Welcome to the insanity! Personally, I would rather do the CLKs and buy my own tires than do the GW kit. LA has lots of CLKs on craigslist and they are lighter than the GW wheels. You might want to buy a different tire than the limited choices GW has. Also, the shipping on that GW kit won't be cheap... Don't rush into any major mods. Take your time. Every mod has it's consequences-some big, some small. If your current tires are not heavy walled and load rated some proper stock size tires might be enough for you. For a lot less $ you could find some stock alloy wheels that are a little wider than the steel ones you have now. First do the things that must be done(fuel lines, gas tank, brake flex hoses, proper tires, etc) then the things that will make a difference where you want change that you will not regret (new bushings for the suspension and the steering rack, shifter tabs, etc) then go for the bling. The money you save going with stock alloys and a good tire over the GW kit or CLKs could pay for some of these other things you might want to do. The most important thing you can do is READ. There isn't a single problem or question that you might have that hasn't been hashed out somewhere here on The Samba. The FAQ are just a start...

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!

Hans
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

If it shifts different engine on/off that’s pointing to clutch release problems, especially in 1st

Evaluate clutch by looking at the salve cylinder motion while someone operates clutch pedal up front. Measure how much throw it moves with a scale.

Someone works clutch, you look for. Moving thing under car. Just forward of engine, left side. Once you find moving thing either measure or shoot short video with no music.
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I can’t speak for your 1985 model, but I frequently turn on the rear heater blower and also the defrost up front when I see the temp needle approach the top of the LED. Lowers the temp quite a bit. With the front windows wide open to let out all that hot air at highway speeds, I can’t hear the kids complaining about their feet getting burned by the rear heater. Well played! Twisted Evil

Thanks, I thought about that. Except it was 90+ degrees and I had my toddler back there. My wife would’ve killed me Wink So you think it’s a little high? It likes to sit near the top of the LED. So that would mean heat on at all times...

Edit: Not all of the time. The arrow moves to the center of the LED when going downhill.

Thanks for the wheel tips!

Man I hope it’s just a cylinder. I’ll post updates.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Here's a tip for the dipstick when it's hard to read. Take it out and if it doesn't show a good oil mark get a long zip tie insert in the dipstick tube, take it out, wipe, redo once more. Now insert the dipstick and you will have a clean oil mark. The idea is using the long zip tie to clean the tube from oil. Using sand paper to scuff the dipstick is a good idea too.

I'm another one who could never get a good reading if I read the level *unless* I did it before the van was driven that day. At all other times, no matter how much I wiped the dipstick or 'cleaned' the tube, I'd get ambiguous readings.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

Not all gauges read the same for any given temperature among vanagons. What you will want is an IR gun so that you can read the temps off of the engine, radiator and coolant pipes around the thermostat housing. It could be that your gauge just reads higher than others. Or, maybe you will determine that radiator is getting clogged. If you suspect one cylinder is running hot, test your injectors, or, just go and have them overhauled/cleaned by the guy mentioned here in other threads(witch hunter.... witch doctor...)

Hans
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts (and questions) after first road trip in Westy Reply with quote

Read this about normal operating conditions and relax -- no need to turn on the heat. Do make sure that your fan is activating though as the heat rises. It is supposed to come on as you reach certain temps and at certain speeds to lower them.

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=74
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: