Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tin top cabin sound insulation project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
randywebb wrote:
I have some ideas re do's & don'ts on the doors when you are ready on this thread or a new thread...

I'm all ears! The front doors will probably be last on the list, but I would love to hear (?) your ideas so that I can change my plan accordingly if necessary.

on this thread? now? or..?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
randywebb wrote:
I have some ideas re do's & don'ts on the doors when you are ready on this thread or a new thread...

I'm all ears! The front doors will probably be last on the list, but I would love to hear (?) your ideas so that I can change my plan accordingly if necessary.

on this thread? now? or..?

Man, totally your choice! If you think it would be better done as it's own thread, then by all means. If you want to post it here, you are more than welcome to.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a sep. thread will minimize distractions your thread here and prevent the interweaving of different concepts as people post in response to different things.

Here is the link for door sound treatments:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6901474#6901474
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

phlogiston wrote:

when i spoke with the owner of cascade audio, he seemed to think that the 3m contact adhesives would not work well with the neoprene decoupling layer in the VB4 type products. did it seem to work well for you? he suggested "loctite power grab panel adhesive" as a water based alternative.

A quick update on the question above.

The 3M 1357 contact adhesive seems to be working well to hold most of the carpet down to the neoprene backing, but the carpet on the vertical areas directly in front of my feet have started to come loose. While the 3M 1357 is incredible adhesive, Cascade Audio's assertion that it would not work well to connect the carpet with the neoprene layer is correct. Not a big deal though since everywhere else is still holding up great.

I have not moved on to the rear yet, but once the TDI installation is complete, I'm sure that will become a priority.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

Any update?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
Any update?

Unfortunately, no! I ended up putting everything back together for the summer, blowing up the 2.1 over the winter, decided to convert to an mTDI, got a bit hosed on a few engine deals and there she sits. Once the mTDI conversion is complete, I will be finishing the sound deadening project though.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

BTW, somewhere on the internet... a guy found a 'green" adhesive to use for sound pad & carpet install.

It was on an old Porsche 911, which does have a some areas of vertical needing carpet to cover them.

Sorry, but I don't know which 911 forum he posted on, or which brand it was, but it would eliminate the usual liver damage from using the usual contact adhesives...
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

I'm going through a similar process right now on the front cabin floor - using https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

Layers from the bottom:
CLD sheets on the sheet metal, about 80% coverage
considering reflectix along center isle-
CCF (1/8" neoprene)
MLV

Factory padding and carpet will be put on top of those layers. I have done a rough-in so far and things fit back together well. I am waiting on the CCF and contact cement which I just decided on, then I can complete the installation.

After I am done with the front floor I will move to the trunk floor & under bench - then finally to doors and side panels. This will add about 100lbs or more to the vehicle weight and it's a few $$$, fingers crossed that it comes out as well as planned.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see what Christopher comes up with as far as sound insulation for intake drone on the mTDI. So far, that's really the only downside I've found on a TDI install.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm anxious to see what Christopher comes up with as far as sound insulation for intake drone on the mTDI. So far, that's really the only downside I've found on a TDI install.

What about a Hiemholtz style suppressor? I see a lot of oem using this while looking under hoods at the wrecking yards.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

Hmmm...that's very intriguing. Thanks for the tip about Helmholtz suppressors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

y u rune klassik?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Hmmm...that's very intriguing. Thanks for the tip about Helmholtz suppressors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, that's very cool! I tried to find a way to use some of the silencing elements of the OEM Subaru intake system when I installed the engine - but couldn't make them fit.

That kit looks short enough to go into the Vanagon engine bay.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

So, after doing some research, my plan is to weld up a Helmholtz resonator for the exhaust (just prior to the cat) and a 1/4 wave resonator for the intake (running up the drivers pillar). I've calculated that my van experiences a 50-60hz frequency resonance/drone at around 3k-3.6k rpms. I'll post up the results of my tests.

y u rune klassik?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin top cabin sound insulation project Reply with quote

I'd never heard of a helmholtz resonator/suppressor in exhaust.

How did you figure out the resonance in your van?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: