Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjminn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

It took more that 1400 ft-lbs of torque Shocked to remove my axle nuts for the first time in decades. I am down two 1/2 breaker bars but now have a 40" long 3/4 breaker bare that I store in my 6ft steel pipe just in case i need to do it again. Wink

Thanks for for the informative comments in this thread.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

86VaNa60N wrote:
Good to know, maybe I can't pull the bearings without damaging them. So, doing the needle grease gun technique and putting new seals on is the best option.

That is what I would do. Take the ‘new’ bearings along as spares.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

Man I would highly recommend an overkill setup for breaking those axle nuts. It's just so satisfying putting all your weight on that breaker bar and hearing that crack. I couldn't imagine doing axle nuts without my 6 foot cheater. I hate I spent $10 on this little axle remover tool made for it.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

The other helpful item not mentioned here is using some anti seize on the axle nut threads. It allows removal even years down the road without killing yourself.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

As mentioned, even using shade tree tools, installing is far easier than removing axle nuts that have been rusted in place for 35+ years, which may require several hundred pounds of torque to loosen.

For especially stubborn nuts, if the vehicle is mobile, drive it to a nearby truck stop or other service center that uses impact wrenches; take along your own 46 mm impact-rated socket. The boys there will happily zap those rusty old nuts loose, then just snug them back on for you.

Drive home and use the aforementioned 3/4" breaker bar and section of pipe to remove, and reinstall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
As mentioned, even using shade tree tools, installing is far easier than removing axle nuts that have been rusted in place for 35+ years, which may require several hundred pounds of torque to loosen.

For especially stubborn nuts, if the vehicle is mobile, drive it to a nearby truck stop or other service center that uses impact wrenches; take along your own 46 mm impact-rated socket. The boys there will happily zap those rusty old nuts loose, then just snug them back on for you.

Drive home and use the aforementioned 3/4" breaker bar and section of pipe to remove, and reinstall.

3/4” impact,,,,,, I bought one years ago for our Air Cooled VWs just for the rear axle nuts... Then I sold it once those vehicles were gone.... then I bought a Harbor Freight version last year after years of not needing that impact...l Razz Razz
Now I have a 3/4” Torque Wrench I bought off a retiring Mechanic to correctly torque the nut back to that 360 spec.

I’ve done the long breaker and a cheater handle routine as well.
Done the 1/2 impact with the 3/4 adapter too.
I really like the 3/4” impact route, you do need air of course, but it’s so fast with the cotter pin removed.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
... it’s so fast with the cotter pin removed.

Yes, it's considerably slower with the Cotter pin in place Laughing Laughing

I should also mention that after loosening the nuts, the Cotter pin should be reinstalled before driving home for the final removal; wouldn't want any mishaps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brakes, CV joints, rear axle bearings Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
... it’s so fast with the cotter pin removed.

Yes, it's considerably slower with the Cotter pin in place Laughing Laughing

I should also mention that after loosening the nuts, the Cotter pin should be reinstalled before driving home for the final removal; wouldn't want any mishaps.
. What I mean with the Cotter pin is that I don’t use the impact to snap the cotter pin and spin the axle nut off the threads .
They’re stout, not tiny like on a tie rod end that you’re replacing anyway, and you don’t want to create damage here and more work.... Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: