Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
One complaint of the Syncro version Peloquin is that it doesn't fully lock as easily as the OE Syncro diff .. as though the engagement lugs resist lining up. IMO, the upgrade to address this issue would be to replace the vacuum-operated actuator with a pull-cable actuator.

Yes I have trouble locking mine too, but would a cable would solve it? Yes it's a PITA to diagnose. Need a solid plan of attack, and you can't diagnose it in the mud. On my Peloquin diff, on the bench, the mechanism itself moves smooth and precision.

It seems like the reasons may be:

1) the Peloquin has already 'locked' on it's own, thus not allowing the multiple (one after the other) engagement windows that an open diff offers.

2) It takes effort to free-spin the axles to offer the "engagement points" which are at exactly 90 degrees (+/- 0.1 degree).

This thing locks like a bank vault. It seems to me that the engagement feature could be more 'loosey-goosey' rather than a precision lock. Where you remove four of the six dogs, allowing something like 120 degrees of backlash, give a large lock window? Even with slop the TBD is still working, won't it damp that backlash anyway?

It simply has to lock for a short period, it doesn't need to endure 20,000 actuations over the next 100,000 miles. PLUS the simple fact you almost NEVER need to lock it, you can probably count on one hand the times the TBD didn't take care of your traction problem. And then, since you're not up on the flat preparing, you've already driven into the mess, you can't get it locked anyway. Maybe even count on your balls Cool . Of course I can't even begin to redesign such a thing but hey this is a forum we're just typing!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My camper will never see race-car conditions (wheels spinning at the top of the 350hp powerband, coming down on a rock.....blah blah blah). Its "lock carefully", get thru the sh*t, unlock. And for that I need a "wide" locking window far more than race-car reliability. Was thinking even 45degree points on the dogs to ease the locking process, but that could bend the actuating rod....so no on that.

Man that Peloquin is one beautiful piece of equipment (IMHO) it probably should be listed in the "Luxury Tools" thread!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
To clarify: Gary Peloquin's TBD for Vanagon comes in two versions .. One of those versions is a "Syncro" version, which retains the FULL-locking feature of the original Syncro locking differential.

One complaint of the Syncro version Peloquin is that it doesn't fully lock as easily as the OE Syncro diff .. as though the engagement lugs resist lining up. IMO, the upgrade to address this issue would be to replace the vacuum-operated actuator with a pull-cable actuator.

If the vacuum actuator had more pulling strength, would that solve the issue?

I'd like to have one of these Peloquin limited slip diffs in my syncro, but I'd also like to retain the factory locker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

Maybe more pulling power could help. Look at the pic above, the locker dogs have to be perfectly aligned for it to lock, and this is hard to do sometimes, especially if you are at the edge of a precipice and have no place to horse around trying to get alignment. Next thing you know you are spinning a wheel and THEN it's possible to get alignment, but remember .... now you're stopped in a hole and you really NEED a LOCK. (sorry that's more of a problem for the non-TBD locker....which may actually lock easier than the Peloquin. Details details.)

The other thing about the locker-Peloquin is......

You almost NEVER need the LOCKING feature. Consequently you have not used it, nor limbered it up, in YEARS. So when it comes down to that moment of truth, is the actuator going to WORK? Will it be gummed up? You need to give it a gnat's eyeball alignment first THEN wait for the next step - which is - CAN the actuator actually do it?

Man I think for Syncros it needs to be more "easy-locking" and less "race-car". I'd like to have Peloquin cut 4 of those dogs offa mine.

The thing about the Peloquin is.... and this is after having one for 6 years.....it works so darn good, the LOCKER part gets down to being "a light on the dash". You don't need it. So many times I've had the wheel spin and I just touch the footbrake and it drives on out. I'm thinking "HEY I shoulda locked up!". But it's too late I touched the brake and the van went thru already. Next time I'll try the locker.

And remember that the locker is "barely" user-selectable. You have to create specific conditions amenable to locking, then you must re-create conditions amenable to unlocking. All the while you are hoping vacuum can perform this function.

Contrast this to being able to control the locking and unlocking the Peloquin TBD with your footbrake. You can instantly lock, unlock, re-apply at driver-discretion is what the regular Peloquin TBD is doing automatically, all the time. You can (often) unlock instantly at the moment your front wheels start to push. Can['t do that when its LOCKED.

If I had to do it again (the purchase) I would NOT buy another locker-feature. And CERTAINLY its not worth the effort to ADD all the locking to a non-locker tranny case. But I have to say that little green LED on the dash is compelling.... Cool and it's what every one expects or wants.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

The likely cure wouldn't be to remove any dogs on the Peloquin, but rather it would be to narrow all dogs on the engaging collar by a mm or 2.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The likely cure wouldn't be to remove any dogs on the Peloquin, but rather it would be to narrow all dogs on the engaging collar by a mm or 2.

That sounds like a good idea.

I wonder how well a low-friction coating would hold up in there...

Like this http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
gears wrote:

That sounds like a good idea.

I wonder how well a low-friction coating would hold up in there...

Any low friction coating would hold up fine because there's zero movement.

The problem isn't friction, the problem is it requires precise alignment to engage. I can't imagine why this precision is necessary. What would it hurt to have a quarter turn of clearance in which to engage and disengage? The TBD is still working in that 1/4 turn, it's not just free & sloppy backlash.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

CLARIFICATION of locking dogs on Peloquin differential. There is about 5mm clearance allowed for locking. It sure seems like there could be a LOT more than 5mm though, for a 4WD camper,,,,, Like 30mm. Besides the spider/worms/mechanism will damp some of the backlash.

Sodo wrote:
gears wrote:

Embarassed Embarassed This proposal is "WRONG". Embarassed Embarassed Those (with the yellow Xs) are NOT the locking dogs. The diff is actually UNLOCKED in the pic above.

The disengagement happens farther inside. There is appx 3/16" (5mm) of clearance to allow alignment of the dogs.

I think MORE clearance would be better though.... If these diffs are ised for race cars then THEY should ask for heavy-duty units, and there should be a regular, easy-locking unit with narrower dogs (for those driving collector-vehicles).

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

A machine shop (or Peloquin) could double the locking 'window' by narrowing the engagement dogs a little.

I don't know if my Peloquin has difficulty locking because "the window is too small" or if my other system components are at fault. This Peloquin was installed feb 2009. Maybe newer units have been 'loosened up'. I do prefer it to lock with no messin' around. Ya know you just want that light to come on, it means all systems are GO. I'm unlikely to actually use the lock because just a touch on the footbrake locks it automatically. And then getting off the brake it unlocks (automatic again). But I bought the darn thing and a guy with a dash light.....well...you know.

But if I was in a situation .... and you know what I mean by situation ..... spectators observing my dash lights.... Cool I'd prefer the vacuum locker to set the locking collar without too much horsing around.

Incidentally this Peloquin diff has only 27,000 miles, but has been thru two transmission failures since (two episodes of horrible abrasive soup). I sent it back to Peloquin for cleaning and he proclaimed it to be in PERFECT condition, not a bit of wear anywhere. He said it is one of his early 094 lockers.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Maybe more pulling power could help. Look at the pic above, the locker dogs have to be perfectly aligned for it to lock, and this is hard to do sometimes, especially if you are at the edge of a precipice and have no place to horse around trying to get alignment. Next thing you know you are spinning a wheel and THEN it's possible to get alignment, but remember .... now you're stopped in a hole and you really NEED a LOCK. (sorry that's more of a problem for the non-TBD locker....which may actually lock easier than the Peloquin. Details details.)

The other thing about the locker-Peloquin is......

You almost NEVER need the LOCKING feature. Consequently you have not used it, nor limbered it up, in YEARS. So when it comes down to that moment of truth, is the actuator going to WORK? Will it be gummed up? You need to give it a gnat's eyeball alignment first THEN wait for the next step - which is - CAN the actuator actually do it?

Man I think for Syncros it needs to be more "easy-locking" and less "race-car". I'd like to have Peloquin cut 4 of those dogs offa mine.

The thing about the Peloquin is.... and this is after having one for 6 years.....it works so darn good, the LOCKER part gets down to being "a light on the dash". You don't need it. So many times I've had the wheel spin and I just touch the footbrake and it drives on out. I'm thinking "HEY I shoulda locked up!". But it's too late I touched the brake and the van went thru already. Next time I'll try the locker.

And remember that the locker is "barely" user-selectable. You have to create specific conditions amenable to locking, then you must re-create conditions amenable to unlocking. All the while you are hoping vacuum can perform this function.

Contrast this to being able to control the locking and unlocking the Peloquin TBD with your footbrake. You can instantly lock, unlock, re-apply at driver-discretion is what the regular Peloquin TBD is doing automatically, all the time. You can (often) unlock instantly at the moment your front wheels start to push. Can['t do that when its LOCKED.

If I had to do it again (the purchase) I would NOT buy another locker-feature. And CERTAINLY its not worth the effort to ADD all the locking to a non-locker tranny case. But I have to say that little green LED on the dash is compelling.... Cool and it's what every one expects or wants.

I'm in the throes of deciding whether locker is necessary or not.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what the actual purpose of this Syncro will be going forward, and if it's our primary camper van that will see snow, fire roads, and NOT much hard stuff in Moab (if any) I'm wondering if it's worth it to add the locker to my non-locker trans or to just go with the Peloquin. Is it really as simple as a touch on the footbrake to get it to engage?

If I don't add a locker, then I'll have more to add to the budget for other areas of the van that need upgrading.

(Of course this could also be a case of finding a thread to support my developing narrative of not adding a locker. Very Happy )

Thanks for any insight!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

Joe, I previously had a 2wd tranny with a Peloquin and a locker. I never had a need for the locker, of course I never did any rock crawling with it. Now I just have the peloquin and do not miss the locker. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans....locker, peloquin or BOTH? Reply with quote

>>> I'm wondering if it's worth it to add the locker to my non-locker trans or to just go with the Peloquin<<<

Adding the VW vacuum locker will cost $$$$. Less if you’re lucky and have special sources of rare parts.

You could buy the vacuum-locker-version Peloquin and then you’d be ready with the right diff in case you won the lottery and located the thousands-of-dollars of VW parts. Or if you find a locker trans. A trashed locker trans would have many of the parts you need, and if the case is good, even better.

I’ve realized now that all of my Peloquin experience has been with horrible amounts of metal trash in my (previous) grenading transaxles. Its possible that the metal caused my Peloquin to be more aggressive (eager to lock). Which it was.

My current trans doesn’t have a Peloquin (but has the VW vacuum locker).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: