Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

while I'm not a fan of a rear radiator. it's always good to see some take their own paths.. I'd say it's not always good to rely on the cooling fans to be running all the time.. but they do when the AC is on on any car already.

I'd suggest you add some triangle gussets to these brackets to prevent them from breaking at the welds. the radiator is fairly heavy and roads are most often not smooth. a section of washboard will tear that and drop the radiator on the ground.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

[quote="danfromsyr"]while I'm not a fan of a rear radiator. it's always good to see some take their own paths.. I'd say it's not always good to rely on the cooling fans to be running all the time.. but they do when the AC is on on any car already.

I'd suggest you add some triangle gussets to these brackets to prevent them from breaking at the welds. the radiator is fairly heavy and roads are most often not smooth. a section of washboard will tear that and drop the radiator on the ground.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote

There are some things that I plan to make more permanent in the future... My initial goal was to get it up and running and to test the concept. The radiator brackets are beefier than they look, but I don't disagree with you either. I'd like to add some gussettes, replace self tapping screws with riv-nuts and bolts, clean up the wiring....
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Small car was probably doing a conversion for a CA van. In order to get the CARB placard from Kennedy, you have to buy their whole kit. Then they part out what they don't need/want.

Amazing work! And I am about to tackle a 94' 2.2 into an 85' so thank you for all the documentation and pictures!
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Just a comment on why I chose to do a rear radiator... My van was air cooled. It didn't have the radiator up front originally for me to use like you water boxer guys have. So by putting the radiator in the back, I was able to reduce cost and complexity. I'm not suggesting it's the best location... Just that it seems to work as a low-cost option for those of us who have air cooled vans.
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

I love this build! Let us know how the rear mount works out.

1987 Vanagon CoastMountain Hightop
1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

My only question is airflow through the radiator in a working condition.

Whats the warmest climate you've driven it in, and was it getting enough airflow to stay cool?
Where its at, wouldn't you just be pulling hot air through the radiator.?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Just a thought...the engine support bar can go in backwards and leaves it off by an inch. Just found that out on my 80, during my engine rebuild. Fun times! I almost drilled it but it was angled wrong too. If yours is easy to remove and hold the engine up with a jack in place, I’d suggest flipping it next time your fiddling around. See what happens!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Driver4r wrote:
My only question is airflow through the radiator in a working condition.

Whats the warmest climate you've driven it in, and was it getting enough airflow to stay cool?
Where its at, wouldn't you just be pulling hot air through the radiator.?

I live in Tucson AZ, so it's hot! I drove around town in stop and go traffic in 100+ degree heat. No problems. Note, the side air ducts, depending on who you talk to, either let cool air in or hot air out (or both!) In a typical car, you have the hot air blowing on the engine, but in my case the hot air blows out the back which keeps the engine cooler, in my opinion.
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Just a thought...the engine support bar can go in backwards and leaves it off by an inch. Just found that out on my 80, during my engine rebuild. Fun times! I almost drilled it but it was angled wrong too. If yours is easy to remove and hold the engine up with a jack in place, I’d suggest flipping it next time your fiddling around. See what happens!

I used a KEP engine support bar, I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but there's only one logical way this one can be mounted. I think the difference is in the air-cooled vs water cooled--the water-cooled engines/transmissions are mounted further back, and had mine been water-cooled, I think the holes for the motor mounts would have lined-up just fine. I just think I was shipped the wrong bar. Regardless, it wasn't a big deal to drill new holes for the motor mounts, there was plenty of room on the the bracket.
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Nice work! Love the simplicity!

One thing I wish I knew about my 1981 aircooled->Subaru conversion: The factory hot power to the engine bay wasn't fused on mine (I just assumed that the power wire went through the fuse panel somehow).

My O2 sensor wiring insulation melted/shorted out on my exhaust on a road trip and melted a ton of wires. The only symptom was it was running a little rough. When I got home the engine kept running when I turned the key off. I busted out my OBDII dongle & saw I was throwing a ton of codes...then I noticed melted insulation dripping off my wiring harness Shocked It's a freaking miracle I made it home and the van didn't burst into flames.

Moral of the story: A big ass, inline fuse on the hot power to your main relay is a good idea (I think I'm running like a 40A, so it shouldn't blow with any kind of sane load on it, and I carry spare fuses in case it does)

Nice work!!!
vannin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pokevan no more! Swapping a '93 Subaru 2.2L into an '80 van Reply with quote

Great read any updates on how the rear radiator performs?
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: