Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StiffGizzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

So I finally pulled the valves off and started lapping and noticed that exhaust valve seats 1&3 are fucked.

The valves sit flush with the top of the guide and never mind the leak down, I can see LIGHT through one side like the guide is ovalized Sad

Any idea why 1&3 would be in the exact same shape while all the others are solid?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

can be fixed by good machine shop. but sometimes cheaper to find used good head. when seat lose machine shop has to make new seat, true pocket and install then grind, expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StiffGizzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

Is it possible to just run an over sized valve that would sit on the top of the seat like the rest?

... or am I just fucked....

Any idea how much it would be for two replacement single port heads?
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

that head look like fixed before by hacker, no cant just change valve. problem is gases going between seat, plan new seat with full rebuild or new head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

Valve seat replacement is a high specialty job - one that most general purpose machine shops are not going to be able to do.

It was with the change to square boss heads during the 1965 model year that VW changed to a higher quality valve seat, pretty much "unleaded quality" seats began then. Before that, valve seats could and would erode away with modern fuel. I know, I've seen it on my own engines before I changed to square boss heads. (Not that I haven't seen heads form after this time also have horrible valve seats)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Valve seat replacement is a high specialty job - one that most general purpose machine shops are not going to be able to do.

It was with the change to square boss heads during the 1965 model year that VW changed to a higher quality valve seat, pretty much "unleaded quality" seats began then. Before that, valve seats could and would erode away with modern fuel. I know, I've seen it on my own engines before I changed to square boss heads. (Not that I haven't seen heads form after this time also have horrible valve seats)

Andy...did the replacement "F" heads also have the higher quality valve seats, or was it just the square boss heads? Thanks.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to replace valve seats? ‘65 1200 Reply with quote

Oh, good point there. I think they did, but I never saw any kind of service bulletin saying so.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: