Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison + Plasma/PCD info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I was with a buddy at an NHRA Top Fuel event, and we were watching a MSD tech go through some magnetos. He had a similar little gauge that opened up wider to test the spark, only it was about 16 inches wide. After the “tune up” was done, the gauge was opened up, the mag spun up to rpm, and a spark about a 1/4 of an inch wide jumped the full gap!

The highest amperage out of a spark from a coil I’ve found with running a MSD 6AL is Crane/Fast’s PS-60 canister coil. It only has 54 turns, and .400 ohms resistance. That’s almost double the amperage of MSD’s common 8202 Blaster 100 turn canister coils. If you think getting bit by a Bosch Blue coil with a MSD box hurts, a PS-60 coil feels like someone just broke a 2x4 across your deltoid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Fred's reply:
Hi Norris, Not likely that you would gain anything. What blaster coil were you considering? I could look up the specs and make an armchair judgement (testing is the only way to know for sure), but the one you have which is fairly high inductance on the primary works well with this CDI especially on a 4 cylinder. This CDI mates itself well to almost any Kettering type coil. It is the coil characteristics that define the duration and multiple spark events from this CDI. Some CDIs are brute force in that they output their energy in a timed sequence independent of the coil reactance. Sometimes this means that a lot of energy is wasted as the coil opposes energy transfer. This CDI just swings with the inductance so more energy goes into the spark despite having the 'wrong' type of coil for CDI. Normally most CDIs require a coil with very low inductance, but this one takes advantage of that inductance to prolong the spark event by storing energy in the inductance, recharging the capacitor from that stored energy, and giving it back quickly multiple times after the initial capacitor discharge via the SCR. There is another circuit element that allows this to happen plus the power supply that adds to the energy transfer during the total spark event. Spark event being defined as at least 3 sparks of opposite polarity about 100 microseconds apart. Often more than 3 and up to 6. Fred

Fred's an awesome dude. Really knows his stuff and extremely helpful.
BTW, Fred's dad originally designed his CDI for an old VW many years ago....that makes it even cooler to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I learned a lot from Mr. Winterburn and I agree many of his ideas as far as what makes a good CDI for our purposes.
A lot of CDI ignitions are more AIMED at, for instance, firing a alky fueled v8 at 7k rpm. Which is no easy job, of course.
Once I realized that, it made a lot more sense why it is how it is.

That makes them a bit overkill for us. Nothing wrong with overkill!!
But, 450 volts to the coil can be hard on coils, and the very fast and high current s[ark you can make with that is also hard on a lot of the ignition system parts. One of the leading causes of the MSD 6al failing has been found to be that the cheap MSD brand coils are shorting internally. OOPS Shocked
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Great info on the cdi. Knew the moment I reached out to Frederick his product and service would be second to none. Thanks Norris
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Fred's reply:
Hi Norris, Not likely that you would gain anything. What blaster coil were you considering? I could look up the specs and make an armchair judgement (testing is the only way to know for sure), but the one you have which is fairly high inductance on the primary works well with this CDI especially on a 4 cylinder. This CDI mates itself well to almost any Kettering type coil. It is the coil characteristics that define the duration and multiple spark events from this CDI. Some CDIs are brute force in that they output their energy in a timed sequence independent of the coil reactance. Sometimes this means that a lot of energy is wasted as the coil opposes energy transfer. This CDI just swings with the inductance so more energy goes into the spark despite having the 'wrong' type of coil for CDI. Normally most CDIs require a coil with very low inductance, but this one takes advantage of that inductance to prolong the spark event by storing energy in the inductance, recharging the capacitor from that stored energy, and giving it back quickly multiple times after the initial capacitor discharge via the SCR. There is another circuit element that allows this to happen plus the power supply that adds to the energy transfer during the total spark event. Spark event being defined as at least 3 sparks of opposite polarity about 100 microseconds apart. Often more than 3 and up to 6. Fred

Fred's an awesome dude. Really knows his stuff and extremely helpful.
BTW, Fred's dad originally designed his CDI for an old VW many years ago....that makes it even cooler to me.

Norris,

First, it would be AWESOME if we could see the winterburn and bosch blue in action.

I simply pull a plug wire, connect it to the spark tester, start the engine, and see the spark.

For $10, every VW guy should have one of these spark testers. Its just to fun to see! Just make sure its grounded, and none of the wires are close to getting sucked into the fan belt. Also preferable that your not in a situation were you turn out to be a more suitable ground😊

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171654160913

I can understand what Freds saying. Also, Bosch blue is a 3.3ohm coil, and if you want to retain your ability to switch back to points, you need to stay in the 3ohm primary range. (Or drive around with 2 coils in your car.)

Does the Winterburn wiring allow 2 coils? Say if you want the blue on points mode and a hotter coil on CDI mode? If so, that would be a cool way to go. (If both are wired and you dont need to switch wires in a event needing to switch back to non cdi)

Maybe you dont go to a Blaster SS that has a primary resistance of .355, but how about a Magnaspark E-Core Coil that has a Primary resistance of 1.1? That might be a good fit for the Winterburn. Full specs of the Magnaspark coil below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I have a tester just like yours. I’m out of town today but should get to it tomorrow.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Spark in my 2276 with a Winterburn CDI/Bosch 010/Brazillian Bosch Blue:

https://youtu.be/dYm2Ml2KJdc

My first YouTube attempt so forgive the quality. Hope it works.

I'd like to go with something like a MSD Blaster to get a stronger spark. Not sure it would be worth it and I realize that if I do I probably can't just switch back to Kettering via the switch on the CDI without changing coils.

Thoughts?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Just bought one of those coil testers so I can do some experimenting myself.

Norris, did you try to back the screw off and see how far the spark would go? or was that the limit? I think I remember jpaul showing it going much further with his coil.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Just ordered one, I will test on my MSD 7AL with Black, HVC-II Coil. Should be able to jump the gap.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

norris wrote:

I'd like to go with something like a MSD Blaster to get a stronger spark. Not sure it would be worth it and I realize that if I do I probably can't just switch back to Kettering via the switch on the CDI without changing coils.

Thoughts?

The more intense the spark is, the more wear will occur on components. I have a 6AL with an 009 on my Super for RPM limiters. For a commonly driven vehicle, it trashes components in about a 1/4 the time of a standard Bosch Blue Coil. A lower turns ratio coil will increase the amperage of the spark.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I just installed the 55KV coil in my car today, seemed to run better, but I hadn't driven it for a couple of days, so no real easy way to tell.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

12mm is about the max the spark will jump consistently without a skip. What the video shows is right at 10mm. The car literally runs perfectly. The jetting is right on verified by wideband. I’m just playing around now, but always looking to “make it better”! I should probably leave well enough alone....but just can’t do it 😉 Really fun stuff!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Just ordered one, I will test on my MSD 7AL with Black, HVC-II Coil. Should be able to jump the gap.

I cant wait to see!! That HVC-2 is serious
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

norris wrote:

Thoughts?

Hey you got it loaded up that's awesome!! It definitely has more spark jumping capability then the Bosch blue by itself.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

norris wrote:
12mm is about the max the spark will jump consistently without a skip. What the video shows is right at 10mm. The car literally runs perfectly. The jetting is right on verified by wideband. I’m just playing around now, but always looking to “make it better”! I should probably leave well enough alone....but just can’t do it 😉 Really fun stuff!

Its definitely fun to learn about, and improve upon.

Alstrup has given me some pointers on how to get a hot spark, and also the value of a good spark when it comes to horsepower/efficiency. He also has been playing with some Plasma ignition systems, and if anyone hasn't looked into them, its something every gearhead should learn about.

It was mentioned that the higher amperage from the Higher amperage coils trashes ignition components. Great way to segment into a solution to that issue. (I personally wouldn't mind replacing cap/rotors/plugs more often for the value of a hot spark. I have went 30k on MSD 6BTM, Blaster, Probillet, cap,rotor, and plugs, but even if it went only 15k its worth it)

But would if we left the wimpy bosch spark alone, and amplify the spark AFTER the distributor? What if we take a 30ma spark and step it up to 200amps? We get Plasma. Its so intense it burns everything around it. It burns all the stuff the normal spark can never reach. Make more horsepower on lower octane, lower emissions, and we still have caps/rotors/coils that go a million years.

Some fun stuff to look at. Apparently after some Dyno tests, David Vizard is now a believer too.

http://www.ionfireignition.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qzxPF3RfOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyEOOXbshQc

http://www.aquapulser.com/performance_ignition/index.html
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I think after a point you gain nothing making a hotter spark that instead you need to focus on a smarter spark exactly at the tight time

After all people are putting down 1000 horsepower to the ground with boosted LS motors and stock GM coils
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Don't expect extremely high voltage with this CDI. It purposely doesn't have high voltage. That's how plug wires and distributor caps can last 200 thousand miles or more using it. The advantage of CDI is that you can get away with a lot less available voltage. Under adverse conditions such as fouling, the CDI will maintain a much higher voltage and keep on firing the plug when an inductive system that has a long high voltage spark under good conditions might not. Fred

norris wrote:
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Think I'll leave well enough alone.....very pleased with what I have. As usual, I learn a lot from these threads.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
I think after a point you gain nothing making a hotter spark that instead you need to focus on a smarter spark exactly at the tight time

After all people are putting down 1000 horsepower to the ground with boosted LS motors and stock GM coils

Yeah and they are using crank fire and COP and injection....

The days of the carb and distributor are over from new age factory engines.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Krochus wrote:

Yeah and they are using crank fire and COP and injection....

The days of the carb and distributor are over from new age factory engines.....

Dale

The point being from a voltage output a modern low resistance coil can provide enough spark for insane cylinder pressures. No need for fancy plasma rifles in the 40 megawatt range

From a spark standpoint there is a point where enough is enough. Mostly with a coil under 1 ohm on the primary side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: