Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Hey everyone, been a while but the beetle is finally on the road. I had a chance to take it to the flashlight drags this weekend the day after I got it on the road. Now on to some tuning.

Quick run down on the important specs
9.5:1 compression
Scat c45 cam/1.25 rockers
Steve tims stage 2 heads

MSD Pro-billet distributor
Summit CDI box
48kV coil
D6EA plugs

HPMX/IDF 44 carbs with 38mm venturis

1.65 Main jets
1.90 air correction
F11 emulsion tubes
- Have the rest wrote down somewhere but cant find it at the moment - I believe they are the standard HPMX dual carb setup.

Running 3 PSI fuel pressure on a Holley red pump.

Here are pictures of the two plugs I pulled:
cylinder 2 - https://imgur.com/a/YpuS6mL
Cylinder 4 - https://imgur.com/a/9qTvbAw

The vast majority of runtime on these plugs are at wide open throttle - 50 miles driving followed by 10 1/8th miles pulls at wide open.

Note - I was cramped for time and the idle is way too high ~1550rpm currently so keep that in mind. Currently trying to nail down the jetting and timing at WOT.

Thoughts on the plugs and the jetting/timing? I was thinking it could use to move up a size in the main jets and the timing seems to be about on or maybe needs to be retarded just a bit, but I am new to reading plugs and would like some input.

Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

you are way rich, try 150 mains, no bigger than 155.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

get a Wideband, you'll love it.
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Stop playing around and guessing ,,,everyone has different answers,,,,get a wideband you will never look back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

I plan on a wideband in the future but that doesn't solve now.

John - looking at some charts i see that it is rich don't know what I was thinking last night. Do you recommend playing with the air correction hers at all? I have 155 and 200 airs laying at the house
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

You need to read the wideband thread. Try the 155 mains, it will be an improvement.

Also, just because there's a "chart" somewhere, don't assume it is accurate. Most aren't.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You need to read the wideband thread.

what he said.

you need to dial in the idle jets (progression circuit) before the mains. 1500 rpm idle is not gunna fly.
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

The chart was the spark plug color charts and reading about the timing and all the different things you can find out from it.

Without a doubt I plan on getting a wide band as well as getting back on the dyno. Trying to do what I can until then.

I will give the 155 a shot and see how it is. Everything is much better since the upgrades over winter. Didn't get to turbo or fuel injection but this is a good start.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

I'm curious why the wideband thread isn't pinned to the top..

I've never managed to dig through all 100 pages of it myself, but apparently it is a tuning bible.. It's too bad there isn't some way to organize it so it's actually usable without spending weeks sifting through it...

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

I have a condensed version written up, but I need to finish editing it.

Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

John,

Will you be posting that here or on your site?

Olli
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Switched to the 155 jet. Here are the after photos for cylinder 3. Not these are the same plugs not sure if they are accurate or if I would need to start fresh.

Got the idle adjusted and everything synced and set. I am having an issue when increasing the throttle where it falls on it's face when you give it abrupt gas from ~2000 rpm. Thinking it could be accelerator pump or still stop rich or too rich idles. Any ideas? Should I increase the air jet to 200 from 190? I do not have any smaller mains at the current time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Correction - cylinder 4
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
I'm curious why the wideband thread isn't pinned to the top.

I've never managed to dig through all 100 pages of it myself, but apparently it is a tuning bible.. It's too bad there isn't some way to organize it so it's actually usable without spending weeks sifting through it...

The "wideband" thread is a stickie. Stickies won't be shown above unless there's a new post. If I understand how the site works.

It took me a week to read that forum when it was 82 pages. Shocked

I look forward to the condensed version with out all the BS and drama from folks that got ass hurt when they didn't like the answers they were getting from a knowledgeable, informed and unapologetic poster.
My take away from that thread was a much better understanding of how to tune dual carbs even if when I read it. I didn't have a WB. I do now. Got it from AC.NET. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Put the 200 airs in, see how it does.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

What "Idle" jets do you have? 44 hpmx's should have 55 idle jets, try a set of 60's Have you tried adjusting the acc pump to give it a bigger pump shot when you jump on it off idle? did you swap out the vents for 38mm's? stock should have been 36mm. try running it with 36mm's and see how it runs
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
mazza89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Following up on this - the Air correction jet change to 200 did not make any noticeable change on the plugs but there does seem to be a flat spot from 5500-6000 rpm now. Probably going back to the 190.

I believe the idles are 55, I have not yet adjusted the accelerator pump but that is going to be my next adjustment this evening. I think it does need a bigger shot. Probably will not invest in any more jets until I get a wideband or take it to an engine dyno when I pull the engine to have the trans fixed.

I did crank the engine over to see how the spark looks... WOW. from a puny barely firing blue coil to a cdi 48kv coil is impressive.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

52 idles. You're still rich. Keep the 200 airs in.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug pics, Dual IDF jetting questions Reply with quote

Get a wideband,,,,I think your to lean if it falls on its face,,,the last 2275 I built made 200hp on 200 air and 180 main many hours on the dyno
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: