Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

I'm putting my engine back together after many months out of commission due to a dropped valve.. I have one sensor, on the drivers side, but there is also a location on the passenger side head where a sensor would attach to as well. I can only find one sensor, how many am I supposed to have? Just the one? or is there one for each head?

Pic from ratwell..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

Only one sensor. Left and right head use the same casting, hence two holes.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

There's only one cylinder head temp. sensor. This is called temp sensor II because temp. sensor I is the intake air temp. sensor inside the AFM.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought there was only one, but I was a little confused because there is even a cutout in the passenger side tin where the sensor would go if there was one.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

Its a spare hole for if you accidentally strip the threads! Smile

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

You could have the tin for a '73 or '74 model year as the same location was used for the air injection system.
PhotoDale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

I have no idea how to make a new thread, but I think this is a fitting place. Has anyone tried installing a Dakota Digital to a cylinder head without dropping the engine? I wouldn’t be opposed to dropping the engine, but my schedule is tight and I’m worries that I’ll take it apart and then not have time to reassemble the engine.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

PhotoDale wrote:
I have no idea how to make a new thread, but I think this is a fitting place. Has anyone tried installing a Dakota Digital to a cylinder head without dropping the engine? I wouldn’t be opposed to dropping the engine, but my schedule is tight and I’m worries that I’ll take it apart and then not have time to reassemble the engine.

You put the ring terminal on the spark plug (some debate removing the plug washer and allowing the ring to replace it, some say leave it) and hold it up (ie bend the end of the ring to parallel the plug) so the wire comes out the same tin opening as the plug wire. Then carefully tighten. The issue is the ring terminal may oval out and the plug does not seal tight.
I did this to start, and found the ring terminal pretty trashed when I removed the spark plug. Bought some extra terminals. Later on with the engine out carefully filed a slot for the terminal to set in the head, and the terminal has yet to oval out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How many cylinder head temperature sensors (Sensor II) ?? Reply with quote

Welcome, recycling old threads is encouraged here, well done! If you ever do want to start something there's an oval shaped "new topic" button at the top left of the forum page, but use it wisely, search first and add to one of your existing threads unless it's something completely new and different. Wink

The problem when installing a sensor under a plug is preventing it from turning as the plug torques up, and the machined well the plug goes down into on the head doesn't leave much room between the side of the plug and the head for the sensor, removing the engine to add a notch in the head for the lead is the best way to do it.
Some have removed or lifted the cylinder tin enough with the engine installed, not an impossible job, but very challenging to get all the screws lined up and everything back into place while bent over and working in a tight space. Young bucks who don't know better can pull it off, older and wiser mechanics know it's better to just drop the engine, especially if they suffer for days after a contortionist performance like that.
Odds are good there's other things that need attention while the engine is out, fuel filler hoses and necks, vent lines and gauge senders usually need work on a vehicle of this age, and maybe it's time for a look at the clutch as well?, how about your shift bushings and CV joints?, it'll never get any easier.

You can likely get away with a one time sender install by just putting it on the plug and carefully torquing it, but the first time the plug is removed the sender may be damaged beyond repair, if you are prepared to eat the cost of a fresh one try it the easy way, but don't be shocked if things go sideways.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: