Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Coilovers?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

I have a swing axle trike and was wondering just what is involved in do it yourself way, ingetting rid of the torsion bars and going over to coilover shocks like the ones I have seen on light weight swing axle buggies.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

If you want it to ride right, custom shocks and big $$s. What you see in the catalogs are absolute crap.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

Yeah, coil over that replace torsion bars are about $300 a pop, not cheap.

What is wrong with your torsion bars? There are plenty of good used stock bars for cheap that you can replace your bad torsion bars with.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Paul66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

Cheers for the info chap's. Although I was hoping for a bit more detail.
How do you work out the springs you need in the coil over for example? What do you need to do regarding the spring plates...etc.

There's nothing wrong with my torsion bars that I know of, but I was curious about it and you never know I might want to change to coil overs at some point simply because.
superpro56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

As far as spring plates go, there are eliminator kits out there that can be installed in place of the traditional torsion bar and spring plate.

https://dunebuggywarehouse.com/rear-torsion-spring-eliminator-kit-for-long-travel-or-air-ride.html

The determination of spring rate is a lot more complicated, here a good article on the math behind it. Basically you need to consider the weight of the wheels you intend to suspend with coil overs, the angle the coilover will be mounted and distances between pivot points.

https://www.qa1.net/technical-support/street-performance-racing-spring-rate-tech
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, the shock absorber towers were not designed to be suspension (coil-over) anchor points, they probably would survive on something light like a trike but I would seriously consider beefing them up.... Adding something like kafer bar to make the towers more rigid and would probably help...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

Paul66 wrote:
simply because.

Best reason ever.
Paul66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

superpro56 wrote:
As far as spring plates go, there are eliminator kits out there that can be installed in place of the traditional torsion bar and spring plate.

https://dunebuggywarehouse.com/rear-torsion-spring-eliminator-kit-for-long-travel-or-air-ride.html

The determination of spring rate is a lot more complicated, here a good article on the math behind it. Basically you need to consider the weight of the wheels you intend to suspend with coil overs, the angle the coilover will be mounted and distances between pivot points.

https://www.qa1.net/technical-support/street-performance-racing-spring-rate-tech

Cheers Suerpro56, that was the sort of thing I was thinking about, I'm not sure how easy they are to find over here, but a recon a decent engineering company should be able to know up a pair, failing that I could get some plate laser cut and then get a local company to weld them up for me.

Dale M. wrote:
Another thing to consider, the shock absorber towers were not designed to be suspension (coil-over) anchor points, they probably would survive on something light like a trike but I would seriously consider beefing them up.... Adding something like kafer bar to make the towers more rigid and would probably help...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

Thta is something to think about Dale, although the engine cage/roll bar does make the frame horns and shock mounts pretty rigid, I guess adding a bit of extar tube to the set up wouldn't hurt.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

Just realize that after you spend big bucks on coil overs, at the end of the day you still have a swing axle. You can throw as much money at it as you want to, but it is still only going to be as good as it’s weakest link. I say spend your money elsewhere on something that will make your ride better.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Coilovers? Reply with quote

The best handling trike will be IRS not a swing axle. ..if it were me, I'd do a IRS conversion and you will also get the better 3.88 gears. ..and the cheapest, smoothest ride will come from a set of air bags...this will eliminate your bars and give you a Cadillac ride. ..those torsion bars are designed to support a lot more weight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: