Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger tires, changing gearing.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

I've been discussing this offline with knowledgeable members and have gotten some good advice.

Here's some interesting data. I did a drive test today to check GPS speed vs. RPM's to compare to the plots that Gears presented. With my stock gearing, 1st - 4th (3.778/2.063/1.225/0.854), 4.86 R&P and 27.9" (215/70R16) tires, I collected data that was more exemplary of stock gearing as above with 29" (235/70R16) and 5.43 R&P below. I'm at a loss to explain.

1st
MPH RPM
10 2450
15 3800
2nd
MPH RPM
15 1900
20 2600
25 3200
3rd
MPH RPM
30 2300
35 2700
40 3050
45 3500
50 3800
4th
MPH RPM
50 2650
55 2900
60 3200
65 3500
70 3700
75 4000

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Syncronoid on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Hey, I spent the last 7 hours determining which bar is equidistant to all of us, and crazy as it seems, it turns out "The Royal Wolf", which is only 1 mile from my house, is equidistant from all of us, we should all meet up there for further discussion. Does tomorrow at 7 pm work for everyone?

Yes!!! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Send the Lear. Make sure it's stocked. Do Not wuss out on the last point.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I did a drive test today to check GPS speed vs. RPM's

Odd that there seems to be a ~%6 discrepancy, I'd base my tire choice off of your measured results as opposed to what it is supposed to be.

E1 wrote:

Send the Lear. Make sure it's stocked. Do Not wuss out on the last point.

Only the finest cans of Kokanee are allowed on my Lear!

Those with a keen eye will note that the can on the left is imported and the can on the right is not Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

You park a jet in your creek? 😳

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

All this bantering about and nobody brought up the most fuel efficient rpm to be driving at?

Anyone want to guess what that is?

If a change in tire diameter brought a driver into that perfect point, where otherwise he was way off, I could see it helping if other factors were not also introduced that negated that effect.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

👍🏼 Precisely, my good man! 👍🏼

Hence the banter. Thread leapt off cliff, beer far more interesting.

— Colin Chapman
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

OK, I'll chime in a little. When if went from my stock 4spd to my ASS 5speed I went from a .85 X 4.86 4th to a .82 X 4.83 5th. No other changes-same stock wheels, same cruising speed on the highway. I found tank after tank that I went from an average of about 17.5 mpg to about 19.2 mpg. It wasn't a major change, but it was noticeable. The funny thing is, when I recently pulled that trans out of my weekender and put it in my work van, I saw no significant change in MPG performance on that van. Why? I suspect because between the weaker 1.9 and the much heavier load in that van I can't pull the 7% grade I drive every day in 4th gear like my weekender could. I have to drop to 3rd and I'm still having to crank up the RPMs to climb that hill at 50mph. It hasn't been in the work van long enough for me to do any full highway tanks to see how the straight highway MPGs will compare to the 4spd in that van. I seldom do road trips in that van, but eventually I'll have to drive it up to the Bay Area or L.A. and I'll let you know how it does.

Hans
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

My opinion straight away is you gained mpg in adding another gear -- which I wish we'd done. This goes well beyond just the open highway benefit or loss of a changed top gear alone, meaning it would show little change in a highway/top-gear-only drive but a significant one when using all gears -- like on a back road.

Imagine a ten-speed transmission, and the easier revving in all gears. Serious power gain while all else is the same as before. That converts to better mpg and is a likely factor of manufacturers going to five-speeds from the start.

Performance gains are also gained when shortening the time between shifts, as in a race car.

— Colin Chapman
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Yes, strange indeed. But, for whatever reason, there seems to be spare RPM's for larger tires, without a gear change. Investigation to continue.

jackbombay wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:
I did a drive test today to check GPS speed vs. RPM's

Odd that there seems to be a ~%6 discrepancy, I'd base my tire choice off of your measured results as opposed to what it is supposed to be.

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

levi wrote:
All this bantering about and nobody brought up the most fuel efficient rpm to be driving at?

Anyone want to guess what that is?

If a change in tire diameter brought a driver into that perfect point, where otherwise he was way off, I could see it helping if other factors were not also introduced that negated that effect.

This depends on the engine.
For a 1,9er diesel drivability (accalaration, climbing) and consumtion is ok with 3000 at 100kmh.
But the drivability depends on the vans weight.
Getting this ratio with taler tires will result in more consumtion than with gearing.
Thats why i am seting my gearing to 3000@100 with the talest tires and change to smaler tires depends on the weight (trailer).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

What are you using to precisely measure the engine rpms? The dash tach needle isn't so accurate for this purpose.

Looking at the 4th gear numbers, about half of your discrepancy is due to error in the program GT is using. This error is common to many gearing calculator programs. The programs consistently get the tire size slightly wrong and this makes the results slightly wrong but consistent. The error isn't very important for comparisons between gearing and tire options within the program but you shouldn't mix it's numbers with real world numbers. If you wish to do that you need to correct for the error it makes.

Mark

Syncronoid wrote:
I've been discussing this offline with knowledgeable members and have gotten some good advice.

Here's some interesting data. I did a drive test today to check GPS speed vs. RPM's to compare to the plots that Gears presented. With my stock gearing, 1st - 4th (3.778/2.063/1.225/0.854), 4.86 R&P and 27.9" (215/70R16) tires, I collected data that was more exemplary of stock gearing as above with 29" (235/70R16) and 5.43 R&P below. I'm at a loss to explain.......
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
My opinion straight away is you gained mpg in adding another gear -- which I wish we'd done. This goes well beyond just the open highway benefit or loss of a changed top gear alone, meaning it would show little change in a highway/top-gear-only drive but a significant one when using all gears -- like on a back road.

Imagine a ten-speed transmission, and the easier revving in all gears. Serious power gain while all else is the same as before. That converts to better mpg and is a likely factor of manufacturers going to five-speeds from the start.

Performance gains are also gained when shortening the time between shifts, as in a race car.

That transmission you mention is a CVT. As I said earlier, my CVT Subaru despite having bigger tires has better MPG than my earlier 5 speed Subaru. Again - exact same model, engine, etc.

If you don’t believe me - the EPA numbers for the current 6 speed manual are 23 and the CVT 27. Of course they have the same tires...(awaiting non-sequitor straw man argument response) - again no one would argue that you may lose some MPG with heavier or bigger tires - the point is that anything lost is dwarfed by the gains of being in the proper gear

One more point - bigger tires aren’t always heavier. The bigger tires I went with are actually lighter than my smaller ones - I went from heavy-ish BFG Ko2s to lighter Cooper At3s (which by the way destroy the BFGs on and off road)

Jack Bombay - I’m currently in a holding pattern in my Lear above your house but it seems as some renegade antelope are blocking the runway - please unleash your mountain lions so I can land
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Here something to google translate:

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/rad-und-reifen-...04825.html

http://www.automobilclubs.org/magazin/reifen-der-z...verbrauch/
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
.. half of your discrepancy is due to error in the program GT is using. This error is common to many gearing calculator programs. The programs consistently get the tire size slightly wrong and this makes the results slightly wrong but consistent. The error isn't very important for comparisons between gearing and tire options within the program but you shouldn't mix it's numbers with real world numbers. If you wish to do that you need to correct for the error it makes...

Precisely. This is why my main graph says "For comparison only", and why I normally suggest the customer take the time to give me actual roll out measurement, not tire size. It still won't be perfect, but better than generic tire size calculator.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Hey, I spent the last 7 hours determining which bar is equidistant to all of us, and crazy as it seems, it turns out "The Royal Wolf", which is only 1 mile from my house, is equidistant from all of us, we should all meet up there for further discussion. Does tomorrow at 7 pm work for everyone?

Awesome!!! Shocked Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

From the BFG KO2 page.....

215/70R16:
Overall Diameter
Revs/MI

235/70R16:
Overall Diameter
Revs/MI

Seems the Revs/MI are a tad larger than tires with similar diameters. Can tires with the same diameters have different Revs/MI values? What would cause such discrepancies? Tire pressure?

Based on the numbers presented by BFG, I think I could reasonably move to their 235/70R16 without considerable impact my existing driveability; only a 3.9% diff in Diameter, 3.75% diff in Revs/MI. Would I even notice?

Last edited by Syncronoid on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

... or sidewall deflection.

And D-rated tires generally roll further than C-rated tires.

— Colin Chapman
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Would I even notice?

would You even care if i say yes ?
In drivability and mpg.
A friend gave me 4 of them for free.
Dont even put them on rims. The worst tire for the van.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Are you saying you don't like KO2s, Waldi?

I ask as ours are absolutely fabulous.

— Colin Chapman
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

To each his own. Very Happy I have KO2's now. Love 'em.

Waldi wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:
Would I even notice?

would You even care if i say yes ?
In drivability and mpg.
A friend gave me 4 of them for free.
Dont even put them on rims. The worst tire for the van.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: