Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
high toned son of a bitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

Hi all, i am new to the bug powertrain stuff, please use libe on me🌭..

I have a rail with a 3 rib bus trans. My daughter was driving it on the road and started to have problems shifting. So in her 14 yr old wisdom she decided to start jammin gears and keep driving. It got to the point of getting stuck in first, no matter where you “tried” to shift it.
So i have an extra car trans, i went ahead and swapped in, to get it back on the road for my wife (its street legal).
Totally installed, i made a new bracket for the clutch slave cylinder (different than the bus), got it all hooked up and what do ya know, the axles dont bolt up...

Looks like the pattern on the cv’s is larger on the axles that are already in it (that were previously used on the 3 rib).

Does anyone make an adaptor so i can use the “bus” axles with a car trans, maybe 1” thick or so? I can raise it up more if needed, it’s currently on 32’s.

Just trying to do something temp to get it back on the road so i can get the 3 rib fixed and put back in. I have 1 million trillion billion other projects i gotta get buttoned up, hence the “temp fix”.
Thanks fellers
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

What might be easier is to get a pair of bug cv's, or a "half shaft" from the parts store, and run the bug cv joint on the inner side of the axle, and I assume type 2/4 on the outer.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

not entirely sure if he's talking about CV flanges, or 15 5/8" axles. bus trans is wider than type 1 trans, so there are two things going on here

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba! As you noticed, the Bus CVs are larger than the Beetle's. Also, the drive shafts are different lengths. I would want to retain the larger/stronger Bus CVs in that rail, so I'd get a pair of Bug-to-Bus adapter output flanges for the trans and a Bug-length pair of drive shafts w/splines cut for the Bus CVs. Shouldn't be all that expensive.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

Edit: just noticed you're looking for a temporary solution. My views are still the same. When you get the Bus trans back in you can sell the adapter flanges and axles on the Classifieds. About the only alternative would be to get Bug CVs, drive axles, stub axles, and brakes. That would be a lot of work, and probably more expensive in the long run.

Another possibility would be getting a pair of Bug drives shafts, two Bug CVs, and having the outer ends of the shafts machined to take the Bus CVs, but I don't know what that would cost.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

I have made this conversion due to gearing myself

Other than the inner cv diameter being different the axles are completely interchangeable

There’s some nominal width difference but the stock bug axles have enough spline length to accommodate. You can get a pair of cv’s pretty cheap or buy one axle at the parts house for the two bug cv’s. As to CV strength I would not worry about it in the slightest it’s not enough to amount to a hill of beans.

I’m pumping more horsepower and boost through stock bug cv’s than a 1900lb pressure plate can hold without slipping.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

Ok so i “should” be able to

1. buy one bug halfshaft/axle/cv shaft
2. Take both cv ends off
3. Take each inner cv off the bus axles already in the buggy
4. Install the bug cv’s onto each inner bus axle (the bus and car axles are the same diameter?)
5. Bolt them up and rock an roll?!?!

That sounds too easy👍🏻
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

high toned son of a bitch wrote:

2. Take both cv ends off
4. Install the bug cv’s onto each inner bus axle (the bus and car axles are the same diameter?)

That sounds too easy👍🏻

Easy peasy unless you have some extended swing arms with no extra spline length on the axles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
high toned son of a bitch wrote:

2. Take both cv ends off
4. Install the bug cv’s onto each inner bus axle (the bus and car axles are the same diameter?) nevermind i went back and re-read what you put before👍🏻

That sounds too easy👍🏻

Easy peasy unless you have some extended swing arms with no extra spline length on the axles

No sir, factory rear swings. Thank you to all, i will get my stuff ordered tomarrow and get it done, this easy fix is exactly what i was hoping for.

On a side note..
When i get time, what should i look for first on the 3 rib? It is stuck in first gear, the shift rod wont turn or slide at all. Fluid is good, i gave my daughter the 3rd degree interrogation and she said it was getting harder and harder to get into first and 2nd. Then reverse was hard to find. Then she stopped on the road to talk to a friend and could only get it into first.

I was gonna pull the nose off and see if it is just a “internal linkage” problem, hopefully not a “interna shift rail/gear issue”.
i dont really know how these work, but it cant be more complicated than a zf6, amirite, lol
Thanks all🤗
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping out a 3 rib bus for a car trans Reply with quote

You said she’s 14 and was on the road? Anyone with her that you could ask what happened? Laughing That’s great that you have her driving a stick, let alone a buggy! Stay safe, I can’t imagine one of my kids driving my rail alone any time soon!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: