Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

I have a 71 SB 1600DP with dual Weber ICT 34 carbs and a 009 distributor. It runs well at low RPM but tends to misfire as the revs get higher. I've been reading about the non-recommended distributor/carb set-ups, and I'm wondering if the 009 is the best choice, or if a vacuum advance distributor might work better.

I will also say that I am not a fan of the dual ICT 34s. The idle adjust screws are nearly impossible to reach, and pulling the engine involves removal of both intake adapters. No choke, no pre-heat, and they make it nearly impossible to get the spark plug boots mated to the engine tin. I'd much rather have a stock set-up.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

I am running a Bosch SVDA distributor. It runs nice with that distributor. As far as the screws, I sanded down some dimes and JB welded them in so it would be an easier adjustment. I also did not like the linkage with the carbs and bought a Scat center pull linkage. I like it much better. I hope that helps.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

If you have points better test your capacitor as a bad one will cause your symptoms. Make sure your accelerator jets squirt through your full butterfly travel, if not adjust. Best way to tell if both carbs are opening at the same time is hold a plastic straw LIGHTLY against a butterfly on each carb at the same time and have someone slowly press the gas peddle down, both should move at same time or adjust linkage. I've run 009s for years and like them just forget about timing at idle and set to 31deg-32deg (or less if needed) at 3200+ RPMs which ever doesn't ping under load at full throttle.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

If you don’t mind a little tinkering you can get a Megajolt wasted spark crank trigger setup going for about the same as a decent distrubitor setup <$300 that will do things a distrubitor can only dream about
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

Cheburashka wrote:
I'd much rather have a stock set-up.

Well then go for it, selling the ICT's will help pay for the conversion, get the good stuff though, not the cheapest "NEW" you can afford.
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ICT 34 Dual Carbs. What Distributor is Best? Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
As far as the screws, I sanded down some dimes and JB welded them in so it would be an easier adjustment.

Oh yeah!! Never even thought of that. I used radio install nuts on the mixture screws, and brass nuts filed out to a hex shape on the inside for the idle speed screws. Looking forward to actually being able to turn the darned things without having to do contortionist moves.

I reset the point gap using a dwell meter. I had the gap right, but the dwell was off. With proper dwell and timing set at 30 degrees at 3K RPM, it seems to be running much better at higher revs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: