Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle 1962 charging or power consumption issue?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1962 charging or power consumption issue? Reply with quote

Would check how much voltage is getting to the coil before and after the problem happens.

Did you also change the condenser??
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1962 charging or power consumption issue? Reply with quote

I did change the condenser /points/cap/rotor all at once..

it didn't do much different seemed to be fine or seems to be fine but then starts to cut off while driving for longer stints.. where RPMs are held for long time periods..

during initial start and stop (in town) driving it doesn't seem to have this issue? or the issue hasn't shown up yet??
but when i get out on the road and drive for a distant this is when it starts..

it certainly "feels" like loss of power/spark. it comes and goes sometimes fast and other times long enough to have to pull over and see what is going on ..

a couple times the lower RPMs seemed to get power back on track.. and so I stayed slow and it didn't do it again..

just reading today to start the trouble shooting.. but it certainly in my head leans towards extended periods of high rpms causing ignition troubles??

fuel/tank/filter etc.. all seem to be in working order.. the off/on/off/on /off (etc) is too instant (to me) to be fuel related.. it is FULL power then ZERO power - off and on.. and so on.. not a trickle off like running out of fuel can present.. ??????
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1962 charging or power consumption issue? Reply with quote

Update..
After some reading and investigation - I took head of the flow of power through
wires.. and were a "breakdown" in flow could come from..

I found (quickly) that the power wire to the headlight switch was green and corroded.. so i cleaned up all the connections I could in that area.. along with
the screw terminals .. now the headlights come on very fast.. the blinkers blink well .. and (knock on wood) I took a 60 mile trip with no issues at all..

I also .. added a ground wire to the snowflake housings to the bulb holder..
the taillights are bright and function very well ..

all in all.. not much work.. but really has been night and day.. on the difference..

thanks everyone!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1962 charging or power consumption issue? Reply with quote

Great!!

Thanks for the update! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: