Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon Trail Syncro build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

After returning from solstice and going over OTiS with scrutiny, hoses were a "to-do". Amongst juggling different parts of this project and also "simplifying" any potential future disaster, I built coolant pipes! I used to have "this and that" and I began to forget what the donor hose was from.

All I need for spares are straight couplers and a some 90 bends, simple...
Tubes are painted and drying.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

keep at it brother. Routing those pipes to clear other components with style - you are doing a beautiful thing.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

The tubes are painted and installed. I'm really glad I did this, it cleaned up the bay and made hose replacement simple.

I've been tossing around intercoolers a lot, mostly reading in the evening. When it comes to what's best tube and fin vs. bar and plate , that will always be a debate. Driving type and location dictate this choice and another, bar and plate are easier to build and cheaper to produce...I had a Renault tube and fin, Saab bar and plate and a VW tube and fin. I chose to modify the VW. After processing my intercooler knowledge this intercooler has the best exchange and although busy pressure loss isn't something I'm concerned about. I'm running 3.5 feet of boost pipe. With 360° of bends.

I rebuilt the D pillar to facilitate future plans, almost finished. I have other welding to do before seam sealing.

More to come!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

We're getting closer, I was hopeful that I was going to light her off today but... maybe tomorrow or the next day, we're close though!

All seam sealed

Intercooler prepped

Looking down the D pillar

Oil cooler shrouded below the snorkel

Oil pan and windage tray/baffle mod, keeping oil at the pump, always!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

And a sneak peek,
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

All this talking about scoops motivated me.

it's roughed in, skim coated this evening. We'll be sanding in the morning.
Scott@USRT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Good to see that you're putting the USRT V-WALK manifold to work. I've got mine flipped upside down for a top mount configuration. Mk3 AHU TDI powah! Twisted Evil

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:

Also nabbed the wahler thermostatic oil cooler, modded brackets on the carrier bar for oil cooler plate to allow protection from debris and splash as well as some real estate for an intercooler too. The plate was a proto, using a larger one now- Here you can see the finished motor mount.

Where can I find that oil cooler adapter?

I have a Mocal adapter on one project but looking to save some coin.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

I believe it's a wahler, I got it from an 80/90s vintage Volvo found in the wrecking yards.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

It's been a while since I have added anything...

I've been here and there on the forum but I thought I'd bring my van OTiS back up!

We have had a lot of fun and adventures. This has led up to some changes. I've wanted to have an "oem like" turbo system. I looked at the aeb 1.8T and realized this early system will work. I have to first figure out the hall sender/cam position sensor. The ABA was replaced with the AEG and with it came the newer ignition system. This ignition could easily integrate and run the 1.8T management. More work was needed however pretty straight forward, armed with both schematics (aeb/aeg) I eliminated the CIPs and will be using wasted spark coil pack.

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

While the trans is out being rebuilt/engineered. I made some progress.

I have the AEB wiring installed, I have to make another trip to the wrecker for an AWM "coil on plug" harness. Waiting for the turbo housing to come back from the machinist, were adding timecerts and going with studs. The bolts really got siezed in and galled up. The manifold and turbo housing will head off to the ceramic coater once the housing is back in hand.

I'm feeling good about this go around!

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

While the trans is out, I got the lump buttoned up and looking quite cool imo! The engine bay is ready, made a custom Ford focus airbox and snorkel (oem style this time). We added LS truck coils for the ignition. I got a great deal on 2/0 marine battery cable, out with the old battery cable. Lots of messes and lots of ideas and projects to come. All the wiring is done and wrapped, well 90% anyways!

uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Great build man! Where did you find all the aluminum bends for your coolant hardlines? Will you be flaring the ends to prevent slippage?

Also, you still rocking the franken Volvo thermostat housing?

Keep up the excellent work!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

The bends are from either Columbia River Mandrel or GBE Mandrel, I used an improvised vice grip bead roller on the ends. I am still using the Volvo oil cooler, I get an extra qt+ capacity with it!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

What did you end up doing about the cam position sensor?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
The bends are from either Columbia River Mandrel or GBE Mandrel, I used an improvised vice grip bead roller on the ends. I am still using the Volvo oil cooler, I get an extra qt+ capacity with it!

That's great! My ABA is sitting on a stand waiting for the right time, or something. The whole coolant line placement still baffles me, but looks like you're doing it right. I agree that fab'd tubing is the way to go. Is that tdi coolant flange outlet feeding your turbo?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What did you end up doing about the cam position sensor?

The CMP is from the AEG 2.0, I didn't take a picture but I used the center hub and hall window from the AEG and used the cam gear wheel from the ABA. Lots of patience from the machinist down the street, about 5 trips back and fourth we had an adapter plate to combine the two cam gears and all the clearancing done.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

That's great! My ABA is sitting on a stand waiting for the right time, or something. The whole coolant line placement still baffles me, but looks like you're doing it right. I agree that fab'd tubing is the way to go. Is that tdi coolant flange outlet feeding your turbo?

The beetle TDI flange is feeding the turbo, however with the bleep/ADP intake it has the bolt flanges to use the 1.8t coolant crossover pipe that has the port on it for the turbo. On the lower end from the water pump, if you can find a cast mk2 thermostat housing is a nice addition.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:

I must have missed it somewhere but what intake is this?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: