Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob here, with question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allmixedup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Soo, I've got a 67 Beetle. Father in law restored it for my daughter. You know spoiling the kids.... Her name is Phyliss (daughter named her) Here is what she has... 1600cc engine, electronic ignition, upgraded coil, new battery (540cca's). I installed a 1000 watt stereo. Retrosound head unit, front kick panels with kicker 6.5's custom box with posgate 12 and kicker 6x9s in rear. It has run decent for a few months. The generator light in the cluster started to show dim. Now she won't hardly pull herself around the block. Plus it would shut the stereo off when you used the turn signal every once in a while. (I spliced the ignition signal wire from head unit into the turn signal wire off the fuse block.) It wouldn't do this every time however. So I put the new battery in last night. I will get someone to run the throttle so I can check the output from the generator and battery post later this evening.

So what I have concluded from this website is maybe upgrading to an alternator. What are your thoughts??? I'm thinking 75amp kit.... What brand and or website does everyone suggest. So far we get most of our stuff from jbugs.

Pretty new to the VW scene... I have had to jump into since the daughter started driving one. I will add some pics to the post later today as well if I can find some that is.

Thanks.....
allmixedup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

here are some pics....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

using lots of power on stuff not normal to the car? Run a single, fused wire to the front from the battery. If it blows the fuse, you burn the rest of your car. Get the best alternator you can, bosch or i've seen expensive compufire but don't know much about them
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D9460%2D7

if it had been ok for a while, maybe the battery will solve it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
if it had been ok for a while, maybe the battery will solve it.

Kind of what I'm thinking - if it did fine for a while with that stereo and generator, I'd test that generator and voltage regulator www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm , and the wire connections for cleanliness and tightness.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Generator probably is giving up the ghost. I'd test it. If it's not good, I'd probably just opt to run a alternator instead of replacing the generator with another generator.

Adding a bunch of electronics is probably just pushing the stock generator past it's limits keeping the battery charged. Batteries are expensive now. Constantly discharging them drastically reduces battery life.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Don,t forget to upgrade wiring to handle the additional amps that can be tapped into.
allmixedup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.... here's an update. With the car at idle the battery read 12.6 volts, revved up stayed at 12.6. At idle generator read 12.6, revved up 12.6. So I'm thinking generator. Next to support assumption I tested the generator further by disconnecting it. Grounding it and testing with the car revved up it was pushing 70.....

Now I'm thinking voltage regulator. Im drawn between a $30 regulator or $250 for an alternator kit. Ugh
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

The solid state regulators are fantastic.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Well the regulator is only 30 bucks, and takes like 10 minutes to swap out. Worth a shot I guess. An amp gauge might be useful.

With a alternator you know your covered though..

I guess it just depends on where you want to put your money and labor. Just don't forget, if you go alternator, you should change out your fuel pump and driving rod. If you put the alternator on and have to remove your generator fuel pump, it won't clear the alternator for removal.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

allmixedup wrote:
I installed a 1000 watt stereo.

Do you think that'll be loud enough?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
allmixedup wrote:

WHAT?!?!?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
allmixedup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
allmixedup wrote:

Yep.... sounds pretty dang good I thought. It's exactly what a 16 year old girl needs.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

allmixedup wrote:
It's exactly what a 16 year old girl needs.

Yeah, it's exactly what she needs to annoy everyone within a 1/4 mile with her thumpin' music. Certainly wouldn't want to deny her that opportunity Rolling Eyes
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

And, exactly what she needs to distract her driving in a car that has none of the safety features of modern cars.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

If it’s too loud, you’re too old!!

With that kind of draw you definitely should go with an alternator. Depending on your setup you may want to consider a second battery and some high power caps, especially if running some big subs. Back in the day I had a nice set up in my mini truck and later moved a lot of the components to my Mazda Mx3. I had 1000 Watts alone powering two 12” solobaric subs and another 4-500 wats powering the separates. With frequency filters it was very clean and loud as balls. Only system I’ve had that you could literally turn the volume all the way up and there was zero distortion. I also attribute my partial hearing loss to it. Lol. Oh well.

Make sure to sound deaden as much as possible.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

allmixedup wrote:
rcooled wrote:
allmixedup wrote:

Yep.... sounds pretty dang good I thought. It's exactly what a 16 year old girl needs.

The thought of Ariana Grande at 100 decibels almost makes my ears bleed. Sick
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

I was there and totally understand. I’m not into the thump as much. I’m pretty happy with a small 8 or 10.
But, yeah, I had my 2 12” MTX Terminators in my ‘71. It held up for quite a long time-till so one stole it. Haha
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

Just want to point out that electrical load is transmitted via the altern/gener-ator to mechanical load. Alternators typically are at max output at about 1300rpm (at the device, not at the crankshaft) where generators are linear speed-to-output, so alternator would be a good upgrade regardless if its a regulator issue, if you intend to provide full power to the stereo at stop lights without audio performance suffering. On the other hand, because 1000watts is OVER ONE AND A QUARTER HORSEPOWER, you might not want to be able to load the engine that much at idle, where the engine is producing single-digit power (20% of engine power being used to make Ariana Grande seems a bit much, thanks EVfun Laughing ). So, have you considered getting a bigger engine?
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here, with question Reply with quote

You have a bit of space beside that sub enclosure. (Which is a very good design I must say-sub faces the rear and waves will hit against the back wall and come out the sides)
I would opt for an alternator, and you even have room for a capacitor on the side of the box!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: