Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted Metal Sunroof- Opinions ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Rusted Metal Sunroof- Opinions ? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Noob here. Welcoming all opinions.

My wife acquired a nice Euro 67 with a sunroof. It has been sitting in an open garage for several years and is in surprisingly good shape. Body and pan are solid. Mostly no rust to speak of except for two small spots the size of a quarter. Paint is oxidized but should buff out nice if I choose to do so.

However, the sunroof paint was blistered and peeling with rust underneath as you can see in the pic. For now, I've removed the loose paint but that's about it. It's surface rust and the metal is still solid.

I'm thinking about buffing out the paint and having the sunroof re-painted to match the buffed-out color (Java Green) as close as possible. But on the other hand, there is some patina on top that I actually like, and I think it would be nice if the sunroof looked a bit patina'd too.

What would you do?

Try to keep the patina look? Or paint it to match the buffed out color?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Russ67 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Metal Sunroof- Need Advice Reply with quote

Remove the rust and paint it, and make sure the sunroof works properly and there is no other rust hiding.
Russ67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Metal Sunroof- Opinions ? Reply with quote

Yeah, it all works properly.
After sleeping on it, I'm leaning toward just painting it to match.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Metal Sunroof- Need Advice Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Remove the rust and paint it, and make sure the sunroof works properly and there is no other rust hiding.

X2- There will be plenty of other areas of the car to call patina. Since all the sunroof panels received less paint than the car- it's expected among VW folks to have a mismatch. I'd preserve the rusty roof only is it were among the best parts of the car- not the worst.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: