Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you do with this 52 Zwitter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

The Bondo And the Grafts will Hold up in Court as it was sold as a CONCOURSE restoration and by this definition alone seperates it from bad workmanship as the concourse standard is at an entire different level of expectation not to mention changing vins is a FELONY. Oh and the videos he has puts him at great risk because he is expected to produce this quality as he defines it so well.BEEP>BEEP. Very Happy
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Some details on this shell bear resemblance to my '55 parts car. I cut out the semaphore posts, floor vents and apron from it in 2003. It had a damaged front quarter that was hastily repaired early in its life and some minor roof damage, but not from a rollover.

However, the rear shelf hadn't been hacked to fit a tunnel-case transaxle and the fenders were held in place by tacked-in square nuts from the factory, not weld nuts.

I haven't seen the '55 in 14 years and last I knew some land speculators from NY who bought the adjoining wooded properties about 10 years ago were pressuring my brother to clear the dozen or so cars/trucks (including 3 bugs, 2 Ghias, 1+ '67 deluxe microbuses and a '65 Variant) and two old mobile homes off his 7 acres in the northeast hills.

I'd be curious if the left front brake line support (w/the '55 frame number) was swapped and whether the door hinges have oil slots or oil holes.
ajl1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

I totally agree with all you guys. We, as truly passionate for VW's have the obligation to stop in any shape, type or form people like this. I believe its an insult that after all he has the balls to place an ad on the samba and make fun of it. If I was the owner of the samba I would banned him from posting, placing, commenting or anything on the samba, people need to be aware of this. Its just my opinion.

He can move anywhere but this will follow him forever and like one of the guys here said, we are going to be questioned at the time we decide to sell our cars because of this. If it was Joe the plumber, well, it was not right but a guy that pretend to be like the master of restoration, well, here you go, it back fired him ! Looks like he is desperado to be a reputable man, I think he should call Velocity channel to get hired and show the world how is done, if he did not already done that.

If you think about it, nothing is new on his videos, he has copied what is already known for years, there is absolutely nothing new on any video except to use home depot roof stuff on the luggage compartment, I did not know that one Mad and you right, spray cans all over the place to do a Concours restoration. Geeez.
luftkraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Yes maybe that is what he should do..call the velocity channel because lately he just thinks he is a regular Wayne Carini of VW's I saw him two weeks ago at the Bear Mountain Car Show with his billboards and business cards. He is just a Duche... Did you guys know he even entered that hacked up vin tag switched piece of shit into a concourse d'elegance show in CT a couple years ago? He should be banned. And thank you Bonecollector for starting this thread to finally shine a light on this duche bag's shady work.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

46split wrote:
The Bondo And the Grafts will Hold up in Court as it was sold as a CONCOURSE restoration and by this definition alone seperates it from bad workmanship as the concourse standard is at an entire different level of expectation not to mention changing vins is a FELONY. Oh and the videos he has puts him at great risk because he is expected to produce this quality as he defines it so well.BEEP>BEEP. Very Happy

I believe the quality of the work should NOT hold up in court as concours work. If I was the owner, or his attorney, I would go for the angle of VIN fraud because like splitjunkie said lots of cars have been rebodied in many ways. It's a grey area in a judge's or jury eyes as to how you define when bondo becomes criminal. Every state will have laws to protect against serial number swapping, but not how shitty a weld can be, or how thick bondo is before that person is breaking the law.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

bonecollector wrote:
If I was the buyer I think I'd probably clear the bare metal, put it back together right down to the builders badge that came with it and drive it to every event I could find.

Link

I'm just trying to learn something here, so burn me, don't burn me, but..
The video shows a bunch of uglyness, but on the classicvwbugs.com site they show bare metal that looks nothing like the clip above.
What gives?
http://classicvwbugs.com/52Zwitter/#DSC00687.JPG
http://classicvwbugs.com/52Zwitter/#DSC00690.JPG
http://classicvwbugs.com/52Zwitter/#DSC00695.JPG
Doesn't even look like the same car.

Go to 2:19 they look at the passenger rear quarter, and then look at this photo
http://classicvwbugs.com/52Zwitter/#DSC00676.JPG
the patch panel doesn't match, again it doesn't even look like the same car.
Are we saying here that the classicvwbugs photos of the restoration of this car are a fake too?
I have to admit if I brought you a car that looked like this one, with the documenting photos shown on classicvwbugs,
and then you dis-assembled it, took it down to metal, and I didn't see you do it,
I'd be wondering if you stole my car and swapped in this POS.
The photos from classicvwbugs.com do not indicate this was ever a concourse quality job, but still compared to the video, OMG!
Does the owner of the car, or either shop have any know presents on thesamba?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Same color but that is the wrong '52 Zwitter. They used a bunch of crappy quality patch panels, as they do on most of their cars, on that one but that car looks pretty solid overall.

This is the one in question.

http://www.classicvwbugs.com/52ZwitterRag/

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Same color but that is the wrong '52 Zwitter. They used a bunch of crappy quality patch panels, as they do on most of their cars, on that one but that car looks pretty solid overall.

This is the one in question.

http://www.classicvwbugs.com/52ZwitterRag/

Thank You, now I see my mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/volkswagen-beetles-new-york-auto-shop-restores-bugs/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/volkswagen-beetles-new-york-auto-shop-restores-bugs/

"The Destination" ?
Fake news?

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Good God.

I hope the reporter didn't let him do anything to his '67...

silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

I'd be in prison.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Popcorn

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

A total shame.
Valuing money over your word and reputation.
Hopefully the perpetrators get what they deserve.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

What would I do with it?

I would clear coat it, make signs & plaster them all over the car pointing out all of the flaws and hacks and who did it & take it to EVERY show, club meet & even park it on the street in front of his shop every day that it wasn't one of the aforementioned events. (OOPS, this idea was in the first post) Embarassed

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
What would I do with it?

I would clear coat it, make signs & plaster them all over the car pointing out all of the flaws and hacks and who did it & take it to EVERY show, club meet & even park it on the street in front of his shop every day that it wasn't one of the aforementioned events. (OOPS, this idea was in the first post) Embarassed

There doesn't appear to be any evidence that his shop did the initial hacking together of the car but bondoing it all over and putting a shiny paint job over that turd and not disclosing it is all on him.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

What has happened with this car since this story first came up? Last I heard was that the owner decided against re-restoring it. Did he simply junk it? Was there any legal action? I can't believe he would just walk away.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Found this thread from another topic. WoW! This guys "restorations" are driver quality at best. Or maybe 80's style restorations when the values were relatively low. The appliance spray bomb on the seats was hilarious. Full disclosure, but that's what I would do on my amateur fat chick drivers. Any restoration shop that farms out bodywork and paint is a hack operation. The painter probably ratted the shop out when he discovered this pos sold for $70k. The shop owner is just a hype man with no interest in the process, other than the process of the art of the deal. he won't even acknowledge the allegations, just Spues out more BS hype about his business. It's like those late night vitamn comercials, just cause people buy stupid shit, doesn't mean it's legit
The Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

So...... the long awaited answer The Zwitter will ride again. All of the issues with the body have been fixed, correctly this time, and the car is currently painted. Here are some pictures of it in primer. I will have some painted pictures shortly. It will be on a full tube chassis with a CB Performance 2005cc engine. So that means the 52 chassis(believe it or not it was on a 52 chassis), 52 front seats and the (Mr Okrasa) Joe Ruiz built December 1952 engine will all be sold off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

that's a good news!
now, arguments aside, do you happen to have pics of the restoration process? I'm quite interested because there were a lot of complicated areas in the video and it's always nice to see how the job should be done.

ps. is there anyone that can direct me to the full version of that post-shotblasting examination a part of which is in the OP's video?

thanks
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: